Can't get into 4L, grinding noise when I attempt to - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Can't get into 4L, grinding noise when I attempt to

USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Eliminate Hood Flutter!!!Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!

Unread 12-05-2013, 08:35 AM   #1
lolitsdaelan
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Can't get into 4L, grinding noise when I attempt to

I replaced my clutch not to long ago, and noticed that I was unable to get into 4L after doing so. I had Imped help me with the clutch , so I'm feeling confident that nothing was hurt in the process. I mentioned this to him and he figured it was likely the linkage. So I crawled underneath a bit later and found the linkage, loosened it up, got everything to where it needed to be (where I think it needed to be...).

What's happening is as I go from 4H to 4L (position wise on the shifter), nothing happens. If I try to crank back the shifter a little bit, I hear a grinding noise. I tried pushing on the transfer case arm to shift it into 4L manually (can I even do that?). I started it up, put it in first, and had it grind at me again. I go between 2 and 4H without issue.

Is there anything that could of happened during the clutch replacement (doubt it but I'm no Jeep pro)? I should also note that I've tried this at a dead stop as well as rolling ~2-3mph.

Thanks!

Unread 12-05-2013, 08:47 AM   #2
bfaas
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Are you compressing the clutch when you try? Neutral or in gear?
bfaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2013, 08:56 AM   #3
King_Inky
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolitsdaelan View Post
I replaced my clutch not to long ago, and noticed that I was unable to get into 4L after doing so. I had Imped help me with the clutch , so I'm feeling confident that nothing was hurt in the process. I mentioned this to him and he figured it was likely the linkage. So I crawled underneath a bit later and found the linkage, loosened it up, got everything to where it needed to be (where I think it needed to be...).

What's happening is as I go from 4H to 4L (position wise on the shifter), nothing happens. If I try to crank back the shifter a little bit, I hear a grinding noise. I tried pushing on the transfer case arm to shift it into 4L manually (can I even do that?). I started it up, put it in first, and had it grind at me again. I go between 2 and 4H without issue.

Is there anything that could of happened during the clutch replacement (doubt it but I'm no Jeep pro)? I should also note that I've tried this at a dead stop as well as rolling ~2-3mph.

Thanks!
Pictures would be great, if possible. A video is even better. Check my posts, I had an issue with my linkage popping out, so I have some pictures of what mine looks like and a link to a youtube video of mine shifting. You should be able to transfer gears by hand like you tried doing. Don't forget there's a neutral position as well. IIRC you have to push to the right before you pull back to get into 4L. Regardless, I would also believe this to be a linkage issue, but without some pictures/ a video, it is hard to say.
King_Inky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2013, 09:09 AM   #4
2k2wranglerx
2003 TJ Wrangler 

are you sure you don't need to adjust the linkage? if the trans was out that means the linkage was disconnected and like you said loose...

i'd try adjusting the linkage and go from there.
Unread 12-05-2013, 09:10 AM   #5
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

It doesn't sound like the tcase shifter linkage is adjusted properly so it can pull the tcase fully all the way into 4Lo.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2013, 10:16 AM   #6
lolitsdaelan
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I had a feeling my two problems may of been related (for those who saw my post about the loose linkage). I'll probably have to hold off on diagnosing this issue until I can get the linkage tightened up.
Unread 12-05-2013, 10:21 AM   #7
tators
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I had a feeling my two problems may of been related (for those who saw my post about the loose linkage). I'll probably have to hold off on diagnosing this issue until I can get the linkage tightened up.
Its one and the same issue- loose linkage - failure to shift...
tators is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2013, 10:27 AM   #8
lolitsdaelan
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tators View Post
Its one and the same issue- loose linkage - failure to shift...
The reason I thought it was a separate issue was because I could hear a grinding noise, so my assumption was that it was refusing to engage for some reason. Now it's a bit more clear that while I thought I was maxing out the shifter, the loose linkage was likely bending and eating up the pressure I was applying.

Should I be able to shift into 4L without the linkage if I crawl underneath and move it manually? I pushed the lever down as far as I could, started in neutral, tried shifting to first and still had the grinding sound.
Unread 12-05-2013, 10:30 AM   #9
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Should I be able to shift into 4L without the linkage if I crawl underneath and move it manually? I pushed the lever down as far as I could, started in neutral, tried shifting to first and still had the grinding sound.
Yes, you should be able to shift manually at the case independent of the linkage. But presumably if you were underneath it the jeep was sitting still. For the 4L shift that will definitely cause grinding. You can usually force it, in particular if you rock the jeep a little, but it really likes to be moving slowly for that shift.
Unread 12-05-2013, 10:41 AM   #10
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Give it another shot adjusting the linkage. Loosen nut, handle needs to be in 4wd low, manually move the transfer case into 4wd low, then tighten the nut. Sometime it can take a couple shots to get it just right.

CU Boulder Aerospace Engineering
freeskier93 is online now   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.