Can't get front LCA axle mount bolts off! - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Can't get front LCA axle mount bolts off!

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Flush Mount LED Bumper Lights, CREE

Unread 07-24-2010, 10:41 AM   #16
NDTIII
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Mine were stuck so bad that I bent the threaded end trying to beat one of them out. Ended up grinding the head off the other side and punched it out from that direction. Picked up new grade 8 bolt, washers and nuts at Lowe's for around $3 and a $5 can of Nev-r-seize at AutoZone. Now every bolt I remove gets the "treatment".

NDTIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2010, 11:24 AM   #17
briguy3030
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Well I ended up cutting them out w/ the saw-zall. It took two cuts per LCA (one ea. on either side of the arm). The first blade made it through 2-1/2 cuts --seeing as I had two metal cutting blades I thought I was in solid shape--well the last cut made quick work of my first & last blade, so to Home Depot I went . . .

Bought a ten pack--& I'm glad I did--rather than the five as it took an additional 7 blades to finish the last cut!!

On a side note . . . this front end is a doozy. In addition to the LCA's, I've had to cut out the top stud mount on the shocks, rent a 1/2" impact & purchase a 1-5/16 socket (33mm unavailable), & went through 2 pitman arm pullers!! Oh, & Autozone loaned me the wrong spring compressors & I had to run in there last night @ about 7 min till closing to get the correct ones.

Presently, taking a break, having lunch--& aside from torqueing the connections & resetting the toe & caster--the front end is finished!

Next, I have to pull out the rear axle in order to burn in the RK 4 link truss . . .

"You miss 100 percent of the shots you never take."
-Wayne Gretzky
briguy3030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2010, 11:40 AM   #18
miguelitojeep97

this is kinda funny, I too had this same issue a week or so ago when trying to install my RK kit. There was absolutely no way I was getting these bolts off. Luckily we had new lower control arm brackets we wanted to install anyway. So we had to just cut the whole bracket with control arm off. Sucks bc now I can't sell the arms. good luck!
1997 TJ 4.0 5 spd. rock track 4:1, 3.5 inch Rock Krawler 5 inch stretch long arm, 35 inch MTRs, Warn 9k, D44/30 locked with 4:88s, Vanco BIG BRAKES!!and more...
miguelitojeep97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2010, 11:28 PM   #19
SeattleTJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I used to use a sawzall, but an electric angle grinder with a good cutting wheel really cuts through those bolts fast. That is always the tool I reach for to cut broken/stuck/pr just pissing me off bolts these days. I find it usually is easier to get the cut off wheel into tights spots too and it don't get jerked around by stuck blades like with a reciprocating saw. That and an air hammer got mine all out.
1999 TJ, 4.0, AX15 5-Speed, NP231, Dana 30 open 3.73, Dana 35 Detroit Locker 3.73, Rough Country 2.5" suspension lift, 1.25" body lift, 2.2 shocks/stabilizer, JKS Discos, 33 x 12.50 Mickey Thompson MTZ tires on 15 x 8.5 MT Classics
SeattleTJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lcu , axle , mount , bolt , remove , removal , stuck

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.