Can't get front LCA axle mount bolts off! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Can't get front LCA axle mount bolts off!

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 07-22-2010, 07:11 PM   #1
briguy3030
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Can't get front LCA axle mount bolts off!

I am in the process of installing my RK lift. All has gone relatively well until now. I can't seem to get the LCA lower axle mount bolt to exit the bracket/mount. The nut is off but there is heavy resistance--springs back like a rubber band--when attempting to turn it in either direction. As if the bushing is seized to the sleeve. It will by no means beat out either. I am having the same issue w/ both driver's & passenger's sides. I have been @ this for over an hour. PB Blaster, CRC Freeze Off have had no affect.

Is my only option to cut the whole arm & bolt out & pray that a local dealer has replacement bolts in stock? Any input/recommendation is greatly appreciated!

"You miss 100 percent of the shots you never take."
-Wayne Gretzky
briguy3030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2010, 07:23 PM   #2
cpleasant
2002 TJ Wrangler 

The bushing has a metal sleeve in the middle which has nipples that pinch the bolts in place. The rubbery rebound would be that sleeve holding the bolt in place as the rubber around it absorbs the impact.

You may want to remove the control arm from the frame to give you more to work with. To be honest I think I had to press mine out with a c clamp set up. Get a deep socket that will fit loosely over the bolt head and use a c clamp to press it loose.
I know your rite I seid the dealer seid the same thing as you and that I don't want them there , but I was asking another qeustin as in what do I do about the slots in the brackets couse if I just put a bolt in there it will slide back and fourth but again thank you all knowing and powerfull jeep god sorry us lesser jeep peeons might have some more qeustins in the future , so please if there to much for you sit back relax go to the next post
cpleasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2010, 07:31 PM   #3
briguy3030
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah I've attempted removal w/ both the frame mount disco'd & attached; no difference. On the passenger side, I was able to get full swings w/ the 5lb beater as there was no pumpkin to interfere; the actual bracket mount began to deform w/ still no progress to the bolt removal . . .

-Wayne Gretzky
Unread 07-22-2010, 07:31 PM   #4
J03_TJ
Self Smarted

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Also, not sure of your exact situation, but I'd remove and install one at a time. If I recall, when I removed both uppers on my front the axle rotated on me adding a little more to the mix. Not really sure if taking both lowers out would let the axle rotate without looking at it.
J03_TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2010, 07:41 PM   #5
cpleasant
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I can't remember if it was the uppers or lowers, but I definately had to press out one of them. Try a good sized c clamp.
I know your rite I seid the dealer seid the same thing as you and that I don't want them there , but I was asking another qeustin as in what do I do about the slots in the brackets couse if I just put a bolt in there it will slide back and fourth but again thank you all knowing and powerfull jeep god sorry us lesser jeep peeons might have some more qeustins in the future , so please if there to much for you sit back relax go to the next post
Unread 07-22-2010, 07:52 PM   #6
catITguy
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Could be the bolt is seized/rusted in the sleeve (duh). I ran into this with a track bar awhile back. Ended up getting the sawsall out and cutting the bolt and the bushing. Bolts are easy to find if your town has a half way decent hardware store.
33x12.5 GoodYear Wrangler Duratracs
catITguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2010, 09:56 PM   #7
imhere631
1998 TJ Wrangler 

when in doubt.... torch it out!
imhere631 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2010, 08:15 AM   #8
CdnRubi
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I had this same issue with my tbird. The bolt was seized to the inside sleeve of the bushing. I tried a bunch of things with no success. Broke a couple C-clamps trying to press it out. Mini sledge and a punch didn't work, nor did my Snap On air hammer. Lastly I tried the torch, held it cherry red for a few minutes, didn't work, the rubber burned and the bolt stayed.

I ended up cutting the bolt between the bushing and bracket on each side with a hack saw.

Hopefully you have more success! They can be pretty stubborn when corroded.
CdnRubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2010, 04:18 PM   #9
briguy3030
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Ok, so I called my local dealerships this morning & have just picked up the ONLY 2 OEM replacement LCA axle mount bolts in the St. Louis metro area. After a quick bite to eat, I will head back out to the garage, give it one more college try w/ a clamp, & then if that fails I'll cut'em w/ the saw'zall & use the replacement hardware. Hopefully, I don't encounter this problem in the rear as I have already inquired about the rear hardware & there is ZERO stock for any of those . . .

Thanks, for the fast & helpful input!

-Wayne Gretzky
Unread 07-23-2010, 04:36 PM   #10
Dmcastino
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I find it helps to manipulate the axle height/orientation with a jack to try and find the sweetspot that takes pressure off of the bolt. Good luck, stuck bolts suck!
Dmcastino is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2010, 04:46 PM   #11
Howland
2000 TJ Wrangler 

but i would try to find the sweet spot FIRST!!
Howland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2010, 04:49 PM   #12
NorCalCon
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I had to cut the bolts on mine between the control arm and bracket. You can find similar bolts and nuts at your local hardware store Ace, Home Depot, ect no need to run down to the stealership.
NorCalCon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2010, 04:54 PM   #13
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Put your spare tire jack under the nose on the axle housing where its pinion shaft exits and jack it up just a skoshe to take the pressure off the control arm bolts. The axle is very likely pushing down on those bolts pretty hard. I had to get those control arm bolts out Sunday and I didn't even try pushing them out until I jacked the nose of the axle up just a tiny bit to take the pressure off them.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2010, 08:21 PM   #14
cartwright27
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
Put your spare tire jack under the nose on the axle housing where its pinion shaft exits and jack it up just a skoshe to take the pressure off the control arm bolts. The axle is very likely pushing down on those bolts pretty hard. I had to get those control arm bolts out Sunday and I didn't even try pushing them out until I jacked the nose of the axle up just a tiny bit to take the pressure off them.
What he said. I just put my front axle back in, and went through the same thing you did but with the upper arms when taking it out. play around with the axle height, get pressure off the joints and they should just slide out.
cartwright27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2010, 08:17 AM   #15
cpleasant
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I had my old axle out of the Jeep with the control arms on it and still couldn't get the bolts out. Those things can get pretty stuck.

Tags
lcu , axle , mount , bolt , remove , removal , stuck

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.