can't find a definitive answer to this question?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > can't find a definitive answer to this question??

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOfficial Chassis Saver Rust Preventive Truck & Auto UnFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 12-14-2005, 10:28 AM   #1
blacktjsport
2000 TJ Wrangler 

can't find a definitive answer to this question??

I remember reading somewhere that heim joints, or other similar joints in the suspension and so forth are not so conducive to mud?? Is this assumption right. I am looking to upgrade lots of the suspension and steering components in the near future, however much of my wheeling often consists of mud holes as well as rocky trail sections. What should I go with?? Any suggestions?

thanks in advance,

--Matt

-Parts list keeps growing...
blacktjsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2005, 10:33 AM   #2
Texas TJ

Hiem joints are fine as long as you keep them VERY well greased (like tahe a grease gun with you) because they are not sealed. they will squeak and grind and wear out pretty quick.

for like control arms you could use the currie johnny joints they are sealed better. but they can get expensive
heres the link

If it won't budge, get a bigger hammer, if it breaks in the process it needed to be fixed anyway.
Texas TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2005, 10:40 AM   #3
blacktjsport
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Yea I have looked into the Johnnie joints but they are so expensive!! I am kinda torn here b/c the stock joints and bushings have served me so well for many miles I hate to take them off and put something completely different in and not have it perform as well. I guess that's why I asked the question and I hope that some more experience guys who run the same terrain as I will chime in with what they are running and what works for them. I should also stress that this Jeep is and will be my daily driver for a LONG time. Thanks again,

--Matt

-Parts list keeps growing...
blacktjsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2005, 10:45 AM   #4
BigJeepJay

Up here in NE it seems like I have to change Heim joints every 6 months or so even with lubeing. I just recentley switched over to Johnnie Joints and so far they pretty awesome and very cheap to rebuild if you need to.

[URL="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v516/JeepJay/"]http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v516/JeepJay/[/URL]

TJ Stretch Thread...

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=348220&page=3"]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=348220&page=3[/URL]
BigJeepJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2005, 11:51 AM   #5
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Heim joints are not the correct choice for a rig that is driven regularly. They just plain wear too fast for that kind of use and they're not easily greasable since most don't have grease zerks. This is why you never see factory installed heim joints on suspension components.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.