Cant figure out why my TJ is lacking power. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Cant figure out why my TJ is lacking power.

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-11-2014, 07:09 PM   #1
thatwunguy
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Cant figure out why my TJ is lacking power.

To begin with, I am new to wrenching on my own vehicle, and really don't know what I'm doing at all. I just bought a jeep with a few problems with the intention of learning a few things. And so it begins...

I drove through a fair amount of water. The jeep is capable of passing through that depth of water, just not at the speed I was traveling. She stalled out and I had to wait a few minutes before it would start up again, but when it did it drove fine.

Two days later the girlfriend and I go out to enjoy the wilderness in our new toy, and it begins to chug and was requiring high RPM's for not so high power or speed. Within a few minutes of this obvious difference in performance it stalled and would not start at all. So, I towed it home.

Some two weeks later I have noticed a bad fuse and some electrical smoke while trying to get it running. I pulled my head light fuse and replaced the bad one and it started, but still barely drives. I can barely get it in to second or third gear and might max out at 35 or 40 mph on flat concrete. Again, it seems like I have to really get my RPMS up there to be able to get any sort of power from the wheels. And even then, it's barely enough to get going.

I have replaced all of the spark plugs and the "Ignition Coil Rail Pack" or whatever it's called because I thought I had destroyed a coil pack... Nothing changed.

I hope I have explained this well enough. I look forward to hearing some advice. Thanks

thatwunguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-11-2014, 07:19 PM   #2
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

What size tires and which transmission are you running? And if you know your axle ratio, post that too. The axle ratio is stamped into a small tag at the 9 o'clock position on the axle's differential cover as shown below. How deep was the water the Jeep stalled out in? And when you said "just not at the speed (you) were traveling", what speed was that and were you in 2wd, 4Hi, or 4Lo?

And a big welcome to JF!

This tag is indicating the axle has a 3.73 ratio.
axle-ratio.jpg

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

TJ
HOLIDAY THEMED GIVEAWAY!
Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-11-2014, 08:53 PM   #3
GOLENJEEPTJ
Running Secretly Amok!

2002 TJ Wrangler 

You need to fill out your profile so people know what you Jeep is made up of, it will help in answering your questions.Welcome to JF!
GOLENJEEPTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2014, 12:51 AM   #4
greeninwyo
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Welcome to the forum.
Lack of power would have me checking air filter
Timing light to check for bad plug wire or just replace them
Distributor cap, may have gotten wet
In neutral/park can you get it to rev up with out any kind of issue?
Possible weak or bad fuel pump or filter
Like said before it would help to get your profile set up too.

Tags
electrical , misfire , tj , water , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.