Cant engage clutch when engine is on - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Cant engage clutch when engine is on

Dual Color LED Light Bars White/AmberTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGAlloy USA Still Available

Unread 08-24-2010, 10:09 PM   #1
FarouT
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Cant engage clutch when engine is on

I have a 98 wrangler 4.0l 5 speed(AX15).
I just replaced the clutch and right before and now i cannot put it into gear when engine is running. I can put it into gear when engine is off then turn it on, go all the way to fifth then back down to third but thats it. and i have to turn it off again to go into reverse......
I have a new slave cylinder in it that was replaced about 2 months ago.
the reason i put a new clutch in is because the pilot bearing burned up.
I am at a total lost of why it is acting like this.
does anybody have any ideas?

FarouT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2010, 10:14 PM   #2
wrangler1977
2002 TJ Wrangler 

It could be that you have air in the hydraulic line that needs to be bled off. Air compresses so there is nothing to push the slave sense the air smushes in the line. If this is not it then it is always possible that the slave cyl. is bad, even though it is newer. Either way it sounds like the clutch is not disengaging.
wrangler1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2010, 10:25 PM   #3
FarouT
1998 TJ Wrangler 

im leaning toward bad slave. i bled the crap out of it.
Unread 08-28-2010, 01:06 AM   #4
FarouT
1998 TJ Wrangler 

i figured it out...
after doing a ton of research i found out that when i put it all back together i didnt pay enough attention to the clutch fork. although it looks the same, i install it wrong. the slots for the throw out bearing are suppose to be on the pivot ball side.
Unread 08-28-2010, 01:30 AM   #5
Kiwi_TJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I had the same symptom when the springs holding the throwout bearing onto the clutch fork broke so that the bearing rotated into the gap on the clutch fork.
Kiwi_TJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clutch , engage , engine , running , on , tj , wrangler

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.