Can't decide on which TJ to buy....Need some input. thanks - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Can't decide on which TJ to buy....Need some input. thanks

JK Front Lower Adjustable Control Arms!QTP Low Profile Cutouts Now @ MarylandSpeed- Free ShippingOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!

Unread 08-01-2009, 08:09 PM   #1
ZIMM18
2007 JK Wrangler 

Can't decide on which TJ to buy....Need some input. thanks

got my money, looking to pickup a TJ. choice #1 is this one

http://honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/cto/1297831681.html

looked pretty decent, checked out the lift kit and runs around $1500, plus tires, etc....jeep has been def been used offroad, but stock gears and axles, its an auto.

option #2

http://www.hondawindward.com/used-in...eHistory=true#

just test drove it, rides sweet, quiet, no rattles, absolute cherry. clean as a ma-phuka. doesnt even look like it was driven in the rain the underside and engine compartment are spotless..price is down to $17,500 is what they were trying to sell me it for.

now, do i start with a higher priced clean, stock, low milage jeep and dump money on a 4" lift and 33's.....or do i risk it and pick up the older one thats already got the big ticket items done and just work from there? how are the autos compared to 6spd? just looking for some input before i jump into one this weekend. thanks

ZIMM18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2009, 08:26 PM   #2
RubiconRazorbac
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Personally, I'd go for the cherry. Build it up from scratch. You'll know how every single bolt and nut were installed by the time you're done.

The on already lifted is nice, I just would rather get the low mileage clean ma-phuka. I think anyone would be happy with either.
My build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/ru...thread-792423/
RubiconRazorbac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2009, 08:36 PM   #3
cerebrus
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubiconRazorbac View Post
Personally, I'd go for the cherry. Build it up from scratch. You'll know how every single bolt and nut were installed by the time you're done.

The on already lifted is nice, I just would rather get the low mileage clean ma-phuka. I think anyone would be happy with either.
+1. Doing everything to it yourself means you get exactly what you want done the right way as opposed to not knowing what kinda person had their hands on it.
cerebrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2009, 08:38 PM   #4
never monday
1997 TJ Wrangler 

$5000 is a chunk of change to shell out for a stock one that you'll spend another 3-5k on modifying.
Unread 08-01-2009, 08:40 PM   #5
ZIMM18
2007 JK Wrangler 

question number 3.......

ive had a couple other tj's, just nothing special or intended them to be...i always hear people saying, "wish i bought a rubicon to start with" is it just because of the axles? are they dana 44 front and rear? i know they are elec. locking which is sweet.....thanks, yea i was leaning the cherry one too...just want to hear some input from professionals here on there boards. keep the comments coming i have time
Unread 08-01-2009, 08:45 PM   #6
cerebrus
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZIMM18 View Post
question number 3.......

ive had a couple other tj's, just nothing special or intended them to be...i always hear people saying, "wish i bought a rubicon to start with" is it just because of the axles? are they dana 44 front and rear? i know they are elec. locking which is sweet.....thanks, yea i was leaning the cherry one too...just want to hear some input from professionals here on there boards. keep the comments coming i have time
Please don't confuse me with a profesional, just personal preference.
That is my understanding the Rubi's are the most ready to go right off the lot. Other than the axles, 4:1 transfer case and gearing there isn't that much difference with some of the other trim packages.
This sticky list all of the stock specs for the TJ's
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/stock-tj-specifications-452871/
cerebrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2009, 08:48 PM   #7
crqflier
1999 TJ Wrangler 

no pics on the first makes it difficult. i think it depends on your $$ and desire to build your own. he's got way more than $1500 in that lift since almost for sure has adjustable bars, discos, adjustable UCA possible LCA plus he mentions the SYE. prices are high in HI, but 17k seems like a lot for the second.
crqflier is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2009, 08:58 PM   #8
ZIMM18
2007 JK Wrangler 

yea the first one on craigslist is ok, only has 35k mi so its pretty low as well, yes it has been USED offroading, which is the only reason i kinda wince at it, but hey, im going to be doing the same thing to it.it has no carpet, dirty, yada yada yada.and i checked out rubicon express website to see the lift he put on it and its a nice lift...money on buying one is no issue, but afterwards the mods will be slow to come if you know what i mean. just trying to decide on a very clean stocker, or one with the mods i want to do and is already done, then i can drop money on making sure everything is up to par......man i get soooooo ansy when its time to buy a new toy, my mind is going a million mph....

btw, when i drove the 06 at the dealership, the clutch engaged way out on the travel, i mean i let the clutch out at least halfway before it even wanted to start engaging.....didnt seem to slip at all even under full throttle while test driving...is that normal for a such a far out engagment on the pedal?
Unread 08-01-2009, 09:08 PM   #9
_TIM_
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Get the stock one. You will be much better of building it YOUR way. I dont think I would ever buy a modified vehicle. you just don't know exactly what your getting or how hard it was used off road. You don't want to have to replace parts in 2 months because they were beaten to hard.
Unread 08-01-2009, 09:10 PM   #10
Xlr8n
1986 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerebrus View Post
Please don't confuse me with a profesional, just personal preference.
That is my understanding the Rubi's are the most ready to go right off the lot. Other than the axles, 4:1 transfer case and gearing there isn't that much difference with some of the other trim packages.
This sticky list all of the stock specs for the TJ's
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=452871
Also of interest for someone looking to lift is the TC aleady has the SYE, and it has 4 wheel disc brakes. Wider flares and 16" wheels are a couple other differences.

As far as the two choices go, the second one is really close to the price I've seen some similar milage Rubicons go for, but price does differ to some degree by location. I'd keep looking a bit.
Xlr8n is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2009, 09:16 PM   #11
poobub
2004 TJ Wrangler 

[QUOTE=ZIMM18;7685227]man i get soooooo ansy when its time to buy a new toy, my mind is going a million mph....
QUOTE]

haha... I totally know what you mean man, I am the same way...

Im by no means a professional, im actually someone just like yourself who just had a similar decision to make and I took the jeep that was already lifted with tires... I am much happier having a jeep with a lift and big tires than a stocker, but I hate the fact that I cant take credit for the way it sits... I have also ran into a lot of small issues that I didnt notice on my 30 minute test drive and quick inspection. Im pretty sure I will end up pulling this lift/tires off somewhere in the future (funds permitting) and build it back up the way I want it. I didnt want to buy a stocker fearing that it might be months before I had enough cash to lift it etc. Now I just have months of saving to fix all the issues this one has .

In the end its up to you what you want and your gonna make that decision no matter what anyone else says, but I think I would just play it safe with the clean stock one and do everything slowly the right way. Then you can start a build sheet .

Best of luck
poobub is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2009, 09:43 PM   #12
ZIMM18
2007 JK Wrangler 

yea going back tom to look at the craigslist one again tom, i'll get some pics. only big thing i noticed was the front left axle had some leaking right there where the axle comes out of the housing by the knuckle.....should i be the guy that pulls the check/fill screw on the diffs just to see what the gear oil looks like? can i do that or do you have to pull the covers on the dana 30/35? i pulled the dipstick and oil looked clean, along with the tranny fluid and power steering fluid from what i could tell.
Unread 08-01-2009, 09:51 PM   #13
99TJSahara
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I'd get the the second one because the first one has probably been wheeled, get the second one and build it how you want it.
99 Wrangler Sahara-sold
99TJSahara is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2009, 10:24 PM   #14
BoostedTJ
1946 CJ2A 

Go for the second one, the first one was probably wheeled pretty hard the swampers would be a tip off. Plus Jeeps are built not bought. Good Luck
BoostedTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2009, 10:29 PM   #15
ZIMM18
2007 JK Wrangler 

looked on Quadatrech, and 4WD, does any company offer a lift kit, tires, wheels packages all in one bundle? just to get an idea what i would be spending if the got the stocker?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.