Can't decide which CA's to get? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Can't decide which CA's to get?

Jeep Grand Cherokee Mirror - Side ViewJeep Grand Cherokee Header PanelTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 07-28-2010, 12:11 AM   #31
asknight
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/sa...4/index48.html

Post 715 pretty much sums up what you can achieve with Currie Arms and their lift parts.
Much of post 715 can be directly attributed to the shocks. Who makes the shocks used in Currie kits?

asknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2010, 07:20 AM   #32
-dirt-
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudb8 View Post
IMO JKS arms are a good choice for a Daily driver that's lazy and doesn't feel the necessity of maintaing bushings with a grease gun...
-dirt- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2010, 07:54 AM   #33
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by asknight View Post
Much of post 715 can be directly attributed to the shocks. Who makes the shocks used in Currie kits?
Much yes, but if you believed the internet BS about clevite bushings, there's no way to make it ride that good with just a shock swap. The fact that I've had 10 different folks drive that rig and all make the same comment that it's the best riding Jeep they ever driven or ridden in, pretty much tosses that myth right in the trash.

If those shocks were the panacea that you're making them out to be, I should be able to put them on any rig regardless of arm and have it ride the same.

I do agree very much that no one aspect will give you the great ride and handling that rig has, but if you believe all the internet BS about factory control arm bushings, then I shouldn't be able to use the Currie arms and get any kind of a decent ride much less a great ride.
Unread 07-28-2010, 04:14 PM   #34
crgrissom
Master of Reality

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt_j00 View Post
There is one guy on here who has run both JKS and Currie, and his insight was helpful. Can't remember his u/n. Maybe he'll post.
I don't know if you're talking about me, but I ran the JKS arms before I got my Currie's, and honestly I could tell no difference in the ride. Don't assume you have to stay away from JJs due to thinking you'll get a harsher ride. Just plain not true.

Chuck

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
- Thomas A. Edison
crgrissom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2010, 08:38 PM   #35
-dirt-
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by crgrissom View Post
I don't know if you're talking about me, but I ran the JKS arms before I got my Currie's, and honestly I could tell no difference in the ride. Don't assume you have to stay away from JJs due to thinking you'll get a harsher ride. Just plain not true.

Chuck
If I remember right, this person has been through Moab a couple time on both sets of control arms. That you? I thought he was from the West Coast.
Unread 07-28-2010, 10:25 PM   #36
asknight
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Much yes, but if you believed the internet BS about clevite bushings, there's no way to make it ride that good with just a shock swap. The fact that I've had 10 different folks drive that rig and all make the same comment that it's the best riding Jeep they ever driven or ridden in, pretty much tosses that myth right in the trash.

If those shocks were the panacea that you're making them out to be, I should be able to put them on any rig regardless of arm and have it ride the same.

I do agree very much that no one aspect will give you the great ride and handling that rig has, but if you believe all the internet BS about factory control arm bushings, then I shouldn't be able to use the Currie arms and get any kind of a decent ride much less a great ride.
Don't get me wrong, I'm no fan of the factory bushings. I've ridden in plenty of Jeeps with various aftermarket CAs that ride much better than mine on stock CAs. My disdain for the stockers remains even without mentioning the amount of visible slack in my CA bushings with only 22k easy miles on them.

I never knew beforehand that to setup a TJ properly with a 2 1/2" lift and off road tires would require trackbars, swaybars, links, bumpstops, tie rods, upper control arms, lower control arms, slip yoke eliminators, new driveshafts, lockers, gears, steering box upgrades, motor mount lifts, a second mortgage, a divorce, and a third job.

I now know.
asknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2010, 10:41 PM   #37
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by asknight View Post
Don't get me wrong, I'm no fan of the factory bushings. I've ridden in plenty of Jeeps with various aftermarket CAs that ride much better than mine on stock CAs. My disdain for the stockers remains even without mentioning the amount of visible slack in my CA bushings with only 22k easy miles on them.

I never knew beforehand that to setup a TJ properly with a 2 1/2" lift and off road tires would require trackbars, swaybars, links, bumpstops, tie rods, upper control arms, lower control arms, slip yoke eliminators, new driveshafts, lockers, gears, steering box upgrades, motor mount lifts, a second mortgage, a divorce, and a third job.

I now know.
If you ever get the opportunity to chat with a Jeep engineer sometime, take advantage and do so.

During one of those chats I learned that they have a test where they accelerate from a dead stop to about 30 miles an hour, stop as fast as possible, and then do it again repeatedly for 2 weeks.

Halfway through they have to pull it into the shop and replace all the control arms because the bushings are shot. This is with new test mules.
Unread 07-29-2010, 04:52 AM   #38
crgrissom
Master of Reality

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
If I remember right, this person has been through Moab a couple time on both sets of control arms. That you? I thought he was from the West Coast.
Not me, but I wish...

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
- Thomas A. Edison
crgrissom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2010, 08:19 AM   #39
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Was it someone with a username like daveshan from Co?
Unread 07-29-2010, 09:21 AM   #40
-dirt-
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Was it someone with a username like daveshan from Co?
Found it:http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/jk...ml#post9413921

Tags
control arm

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.