Can't decide which CA's to get? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Can't decide which CA's to get?

Advance Adapters SYE KitsFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 07-27-2010, 04:01 PM   #16
-dirt-
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
You won't bend the arms but you will rip the mounts off. Trust me I have done it a few times now.
I suspect JKS CAs aren't the only ones to have ever ripped off a mount.

-dirt- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2010, 05:17 PM   #17
Benderff

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I wasn't running JKS arms. It's the bushings that cause the problems. Like Imped said right after my last post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt_j00 View Post
I suspect JKS CAs aren't the only ones to have ever ripped off a mount.
Unread 07-27-2010, 05:30 PM   #18
Sgt.Fuzz
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
Whatever route you take, don't waste time with rubber bushings anymore. JJ's are superior in every way possible. Rokmen or Currie are great routes. I've slid over and dropped my Currie lowers on many rocks without more than some scrapes. They are really the least of my worries. Don't let the myth that "JJ's will ride rough" fool you. They do nothing but improve the ride and handling characteristics.

And BTW, the cheaper joints don't hold a candle to JJ's. I've seen it first hand. Anyone who says otherwise hasn't done the comparison.

EDIT: About drilling out the upper mounts.....very easy. I literally spent about one minute on each rear with a dremel. The rears have to be barely widened. For the fronts, use a slow steady hand and keep the bit lubricated. You might ask Gerald about the "front JJ housing kit" when you order the arms. Knock two birds out with one stone by getting an upgrade and not having to drill out the bushing sleeves.
I was just looking at the Savvy site and the "JJ housing kit" you speak of is $155.00 on top of the $255.00 for the control arms. Plus it requires cutting/welding for installation. That doesn't sound too user/budget friendly for a non-fabber like me. Kinda disappointing.
Unread 07-27-2010, 05:37 PM   #19
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

If the cost scares you, call or email Gerald at Savvy.....I'm sure he could help you out. Yes it does require a little work. I'm sure you could hunt down a local welder/fabber, especially if you're in a Jeep club. Otherwise, the drilling really is easy. Don't let it scare you.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2010, 06:26 PM   #20
MisfitSeven
MAIL Crawler.

1998 TJ Wrangler 

about the whole drilling vs. the price of the JJ housing kit: here is an alternative.

$100 from rusty's off road. click.
Unread 07-27-2010, 06:53 PM   #21
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthetj03 View Post
Gonna start off getting front Lower CA's and as budget allows continue replacing the remaining arms with same brand, but I'm undecided which ones to go with. I think I've narrowed it down to two choices, Currie or JKS. I'm 80% DD and 20% weekend warrior. Don't do anything extreme, but not affraid to try moderate trails. Other than a BL/MML planned for the near future, I don't plan on lifting any higher than I have er now. I've talked to Dirk at DPG and was convinced to go JKS, then read posts from the Savvy boys and am thinking Currie! If I do go Currie, should I go JJ's both ends or JJ/Clevite? I don't want the ride to be too harsh sinch my wife also drives the jeep on occasion. I do like the idea of fimer handling characteristics but don't want too much road transfer to the steering wheel. Will the JJ's compromise the ride? Would a good compromise be to go JJ/clevite? Or would I be better off with JKS being they are cletive at both ends with the rotating shaft.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/sa...4/index48.html

Post 715 pretty much sums up what you can achieve with Currie Arms and their lift parts.
Unread 07-27-2010, 07:05 PM   #22
breckboarder55
Web Wheeler

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Currie or Rokmen for sure
87 Mazda RX-7 Turbo II-Built.
87 Mazda RX-7 SE-Burn Victim
01 Honda S2000DD
breckboarder55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2010, 07:23 PM   #23
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

I do like my Currie J arms and JJ's...
Unread 07-27-2010, 07:48 PM   #24
rubicon20032003

I have a 100k on my jks arms.Never had to replace one bushing on them.iI had curries on my 03 rubicon.did see much advantage to the curries.My 04 rubicon flexs better with the jks arms.
rubicon20032003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2010, 08:36 PM   #25
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon20032003 View Post
I have a 100k on my jks arms.Never had to replace one bushing on them.iI had curries on my 03 rubicon.did see much advantage to the curries.My 04 rubicon flexs better with the jks arms.
A monkey could call out the BS in this post.
Unread 07-27-2010, 09:03 PM   #26
rubicon20032003

what you like own one jeep in your life and your a expert.If you not a currie or rokmen man.You have nothing to say on some of these forums
rubicon20032003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2010, 09:22 PM   #27
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
what you like own one jeep in your life and your a expert.If you not a currie or rokmen man.You have nothing to say on some of these forums
I'm not sure what you're trying to say due to your failed English, but here's what I've gathered:

There's a correlation between number of Jeeps owned and abilities to apply basic physics and geometry.

I have "nothing to say." Reference posts #13 and 15. Now explain to me how I'm wrong. Since you've owned more Jeeps than me, that should be very easy.

Now that we've got that out of the way, explain in semi-educated terms how/why the JKS arms allow your current Jeep to articulate better than your previous Jeep with Currie arms.
Unread 07-27-2010, 09:26 PM   #28
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
what you like own one jeep in your life and your a expert.If you not a currie or romkem man.You have nothing to say on some of these forums
I don't necessarily consider myself an expert, but I have more than one Jeep, I've run more than one control arm style and I've made more control arms from scratch than most have. Does any of that count?

If so, can I be the monkey that calls BS on the increased flex?

How much more flex do you think your JKS arms will give me over this?

From the the other side-

Nowhere near maxing out the travel in the JJ's on the Currie arms.

Currie JJ arms I built for Jon's rig. Nowhere near close to max travel on 14" coilovers at all four corners.

Unread 07-27-2010, 09:49 PM   #29
mudb8
want it rite or rite now?

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
The only way in the world for the JKS arms to have more flex than the currie's on the other jeep is you have longer shocks, thats just like trying to say a 5.5" Long arm suspension system has more flex than a 3" that has the same length shocks on it, the LA will have more uptravel and ride a bit nicer on rough terrain due to the lift height is about it.... flex isn't exacty limited by the arm, shock length determines the amount of flex, JJ's have the advantage of unrestricted range of motion, while the JKS will still twist up and or rip off mounts due to the resistance of the Clevite bushings just about as bad as stock and other solid bushed CA's do even tho they twist. For that matter a JJ can also twist in the middle, so to speak, if the Jam nut is loose. IMO JKS arms are a good choice for a Daily driver that's lazy and doesn't feel the necessity of maintaing bushings with a grease gun...

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars
DIY highline fenders.... 34-37's under 0"-2.5" lifts
shock length, bumpstop extension, tire size chart click here
DIY shock shifters, more uptravel/better ride

2011 E-350 4x4 Van conversion

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

ASE Certified Master Tech/Fabricator @ jeepwest.com
mudb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2010, 09:51 PM   #30
mudb8
want it rite or rite now?

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisfitSeven View Post
about the whole drilling vs. the price of the JJ housing kit: here is an alternative.

$100 from rusty's off road. click.
there is a reason for the single hardened clip on the JJ's......

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars
DIY highline fenders.... 34-37's under 0"-2.5" lifts
shock length, bumpstop extension, tire size chart click here
DIY shock shifters, more uptravel/better ride

2011 E-350 4x4 Van conversion

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

ASE Certified Master Tech/Fabricator @ jeepwest.com
mudb8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
control arm

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.