Can't decide which CA's to get? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Can't decide which CA's to get?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 07-27-2010, 02:31 PM   #1
bobthetj03
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Can't decide which CA's to get?

Gonna start off getting front Lower CA's and as budget allows continue replacing the remaining arms with same brand, but I'm undecided which ones to go with. I think I've narrowed it down to two choices, Currie or JKS. I'm 80% DD and 20% weekend warrior. Don't do anything extreme, but not affraid to try moderate trails. Other than a BL/MML planned for the near future, I don't plan on lifting any higher than I have er now. I've talked to Dirk at DPG and was convinced to go JKS, then read posts from the Savvy boys and am thinking Currie! If I do go Currie, should I go JJ's both ends or JJ/Clevite? I don't want the ride to be too harsh sinch my wife also drives the jeep on occasion. I do like the idea of fimer handling characteristics but don't want too much road transfer to the steering wheel. Will the JJ's compromise the ride? Would a good compromise be to go JJ/clevite? Or would I be better off with JKS being they are cletive at both ends with the rotating shaft.

bobthetj03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2010, 02:37 PM   #2
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

What about Rokmen?
Rokmen Gear Up....Rok On
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2010, 02:37 PM   #3
mJUSTINm
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Currie. I have all 8 arms with JJ's (with the exception of the front upper axle side mounts) and the ride is anything but harsh. Don't believe the myth that Currie arms ride rough, the forum was just getting away from that crap!
Unread 07-27-2010, 02:38 PM   #4
lumpster
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

I really like my Currie JJ control arms, i also got the front housing kit so i have no rubber clevite bushings anymore. The ride is fine, it doesnt beat you up, if anything its actually smoother with less shake. All i hear are great things about currie control arms, so it was an easy choise. I bought mine from Savvy Off Road, i feel i got the best price and best customer service there.

Rokmen control arms are nice too, they are just way over built for what they are.
lumpster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2010, 02:39 PM   #5
jeepinmichguy_
I haz ah Geep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

currie imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
Jeepinmichguy is a jerk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
How about this, if you had the Jeep Spirit, you wouldn't abuse the rest of us trying to enjoy a nice day out wheeling by bringing your brokeass broken down junkyard crap out to play where it can't handle it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepForum123 View Post
you all have nice rigs, stop being f****** a**holes.
jeepinmichguy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2010, 02:40 PM   #6
theducksguts
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I like Currie JJ arms.

However, due to budget constraints I went with Rough Country and they have been fine. Some people say they are garbage. I disagree.

Check out my Classifieds
theducksguts is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2010, 02:40 PM   #7
bobthetj03
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
What about Rokmen?
Rokmen Gear Up....Rok On
Overkill for the kind of wheeling I do. Those arms are "monsters"! And they have JJ's as well.
Unread 07-27-2010, 02:42 PM   #8
Benderff

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Same as all the other threads like this. Go with the Currie arms. The ride is good with the double JJs.
Unread 07-27-2010, 02:49 PM   #9
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthetj03 View Post
Overkill for the kind of wheeling I do. Those arms are "monsters"! And they have JJ's as well.
but they do offer Clevite/JJ, unlike Currie...and I haven't heard of anyone bending a Rokmen...but I have heard of someone bending a Currie Rokmen do have more advantages on length than Currie...I tried Currie uppers...weren't long enough for me...not near enough thread engagement...
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2010, 03:16 PM   #10
Tyler99TJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I was in your same boat about a month ago. I ended up getting the Currie's from Savvy. I was really worried about the ride quality because maybe 5% of my driving is offroad. When I swapped them in I was expecting a little bit harsher of a ride than my stock control arms on my 3" lift, but was really surpised how well they ride. They don't transmit anymore bumps than the stocks did and it made my ride smoother overall by getting the factory wheelbase back. I am very happy I went with Currie and for the price I got from Savvy I wouldn't even think about the JKS's anymore. Price them out and see.
Tyler99TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2010, 03:33 PM   #11
-dirt-
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I put JKS arms on mine, and, as expected, they ride you like stock (since they use OEM bushings at both ends). But these arms are super beefy! I can't see anyone bending them.

There is one guy on here who has run both JKS and Currie, and his insight was helpful. Can't remember his u/n. Maybe he'll post.
Red Jeep Club Member #565
My Registry Profile

WTB: UnderCover Fab No-Body Lift Skid Plate
WTB: Rokmen or Currie Control Arms
↑ PM me!

Ever had Death Wobble? Please respond to the poll here!
-dirt- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2010, 03:40 PM   #12
bobthetj03
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the replies everyone. Currie seems to be the arm of choice. If I decide on price alone, Currie's got JKS beat, And yes, I did read a lot of other threads pertaining to Currie arms but didn't see a lot of feedback on the JKS arms, so my reasons for justifying "another Currie arm thread" are valid in my mind. I seem to remember reading one of "those threads" where you have to drill out CA brackets to fit the Currie's. Is this true?
Unread 07-27-2010, 03:42 PM   #13
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Whatever route you take, don't waste time with rubber bushings anymore. JJ's are superior in every way possible. Rokmen or Currie are great routes. I've slid over and dropped my Currie lowers on many rocks without more than some scrapes. They are really the least of my worries. Don't let the myth that "JJ's will ride rough" fool you. They do nothing but improve the ride and handling characteristics.

And BTW, the cheaper joints don't hold a candle to JJ's. I've seen it first hand. Anyone who says otherwise hasn't done the comparison.

EDIT: About drilling out the upper mounts.....very easy. I literally spent about one minute on each rear with a dremel. The rears have to be barely widened. For the fronts, use a slow steady hand and keep the bit lubricated. You might ask Gerald about the "front JJ housing kit" when you order the arms. Knock two birds out with one stone by getting an upgrade and not having to drill out the bushing sleeves.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2010, 03:42 PM   #14
Benderff

2006 TJ Wrangler 

You won't bend the arms but you will rip the mounts off. Trust me I have done it a few times now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt_j00 View Post
I put JKS arms on mine, and, as expected, they ride you like stock (since they use OEM bushings at both ends). But these arms are super beefy! I can't see anyone bending them.

There is one guy on here who has run both JKS and Currie, and his insight was helpful. Can't remember his u/n. Maybe he'll post.
Unread 07-27-2010, 03:46 PM   #15
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

JKS arms are just a beefed up stock arm.....fine if you are on the road 99% of the time and want to spend more money than necessary. If you understand the dynamics arms go through when the suspension cycles (up, down and to the side), you'll understand why the bushings and CA mounts are seeing nearly the same stresses with the JKS arms as they are with the stock arms. And you still have to replace the POS rubber bushings when they wear out from these forces. Why pay more for an inferior design?
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
control arm

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.