Cannot get brake line disconnected from wheel cylinder...any ideas?! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Cannot get brake line disconnected from wheel cylinder...any ideas?!

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 07-25-2009, 02:49 PM   #1
dirtslut97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Cannot get brake line disconnected from wheel cylinder...any ideas?!

I have a 1997 tj sport with a d44 rear and in order to get an inspection sticker i needed to change the shoes. After getting the drivers side done and ready to go i noticed i had brake fluid leaking out of the wheel cylinder on the passenger side so i made a trip to advance auto and got a new one. Well the problem I am having is not being able to get the brake line disconnected from the old wheel cylinder, i have already soaked it in wd-40 and tried to throw a wrench and vice grips to it and i am getting absolutely nowhere. Does anybody have any ideas on this one? Is it possibly reverse thread? Thanks.

dirtslut97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2009, 03:03 PM   #2
mudb8
want it rite or rite now?

1999 TJ Wrangler 

it's not reverse thead, use pb blaster, wd-40 is about worthless for that stuff...

you may get to make a trip to the local salvage yard for a new line from the jct to the cylinder, or bend one up yourself from some stock the auto parts store have, vise grips aren't very nice to those things..

the bore can also be cleaned up if it's not pitted, then use the new cup seals from your new cylinder and leave the line on there.

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars
DIY highline fenders.... 34-37's under 0"-2.5" lifts
shock length, bumpstop extension, tire size chart click here
DIY shock shifters, more uptravel/better ride

2011 E-350 4x4 Van conversion

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

ASE Certified Master Tech/Fabricator @ jeepwest.com
mudb8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2009, 03:10 PM   #3
numchuck
pirate squirrel

2005 TJ Wrangler 

keep soaking it down with PB blaster . . . get yourself a line wrench . . . and keep trying . . . if it won't break loose then spray more blaster and wait some more . . . it may take a day or two; but eventually the lube will work its way into the threads . . . if you just can't wait then try applying a small amount of heat with a torch; but be super careful . . . just be sure to get a line wrench . . . there's a good reason for the invention of this tool
Unread 07-25-2009, 03:13 PM   #4
dirtslut97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I appreciate the responses..i'm going to get some pb blaster and a line wrench once i finish typing this..thanks..
dirtslut97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.