Can you stop a top from tearing? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Can you stop a top from tearing?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 05-31-2008, 03:39 PM   #1
BChamberlin
Web Wheeler

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Can you stop a top from tearing?

No problems with my top... it's still in great shape but I noticed a spot that's starting to wear. It's not torn, but since it's a black top you can see where a seam is starting to fade... you know where it turns white at a stress point after a few years before it tears? Can you put anything on it? Would a drop of super glue help or would that make the material too stiff and cause futher damage? The spot that always wears on my tops first is around the drip guard where the top bends when folded back.

BChamberlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2008, 08:40 AM   #2
BChamberlin
Web Wheeler

1999 TJ Wrangler 

bump

No suggestions? I know it can't be stopped forever, but anyway to put it off for awhile?
Unread 06-01-2008, 02:23 PM   #3
XXRider
2003 TJ Wrangler 

No idea if this would work but maybe a iron on patch from the inside. The kind you would use on a pair of jeans, I know they come in black but I'm too lazy to find the right color.

http://www.amazon.com/Bondex-Iron-Pa..._tdp_sv_edpp_i
XXRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2008, 09:19 AM   #4
BChamberlin
Web Wheeler

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXRider View Post
No idea if this would work but maybe a iron on patch from the inside. The kind you would use on a pair of jeans, I know they come in black but I'm too lazy to find the right color.

http://www.amazon.com/Bondex-Iron-Pa..._tdp_sv_edpp_i
The stress marks I'm talking about are no where bad enough to warrant a patch. I'm just looking at the material and because it's a dark top, I can see where it might wear further in the future. I was just wondering if there was something you could use to prevent this from happening.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.