Can't find a replacement lower radiator hose with a spring in it. - JeepForum.com

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 05-10-2011, 01:35 PM Thread Starter
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Can't find a replacement lower radiator hose with a spring in it.

Why can I no longer find a radiator hose that has a spring inside to help prevent collapse from vacuum as lower hoses can sometimes do?

It seems a spring is no longer included inside any hoses I can find, even from the better quality hoses like from Gates, Goodyear, and AC-Delco. Are radiator hoses made so much better now that the spring is no longer needed to prevent them from collapsing from vacuum?

When you have a choice, buy American made.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 05-10-2011, 01:38 PM
Lawrence

Not sure Jerry but I just bought a Gates 2 weeks ago and it came with the spring.
post #3 of 16 Old 05-10-2011, 01:41 PM
cfmiller58
1997 TJ Wrangler 

i have never been able to find one with a spring (from advance or autozone). thank you for some brands to check out even though i might be disappointed though!

Black Jeep Society

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 16 Old 05-10-2011, 01:43 PM
GOLENJEEPTJ
Running Secretly Amok!

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Here is the official word from Gates: ‘’Molded radiator hose construction has been upgraded with more robust compounding and thicker hose walls, this has negated the need for the spring in molded coolant hoses. Originally the spring was inserted @ manufacture to compensate for collapsing.
post #5 of 16 Old 05-10-2011, 01:44 PM Thread Starter
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
Not sure Jerry but I just bought a Gates 2 weeks ago and it came with the spring.
Good to know, where did you buy it? www.rockauto.com lists a Gates spring for the Wrangler 4.0L but their website specifically says it does not come with a spring. I called Rock Auto and they said they don't carry any radiator hoses for the 4.0L that have a spring in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLENJEEPTJ View Post
Here is the official word from Gates: ‘’Molded radiator hose construction has been upgraded with more robust compounding and thicker hose walls, this has negated the need for the spring in molded coolant hoses. Originally the spring was inserted @ manufacture to compensate for collapsing.
That is excellent information, thanks. I'll just go with one of the better brands like Gates and not worry about it.

post #6 of 16 Old 05-10-2011, 02:00 PM
Lawrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
Good to know, where did you buy it?
I bought it from Napa because my local dealer was out of stock. Perhaps you could reuse your spring, what's the harm?
post #7 of 16 Old 05-10-2011, 02:27 PM
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Spectre Performance makes braided hoses that have a spring.

Summit is one vendor who sells them. Here is an example:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SPE-58228/
post #8 of 16 Old 05-10-2011, 03:23 PM
ChrisTJCO
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Is there a reason you can't use your old spring? I just replaced my lower radiator hose and the one I bought didn't have a spring in it. I figured better safe than sorry, so I pulled the spring out of my old hose and put it in the new one.

White-Out Jeep

Colorado Jeep Club Member #230
post #9 of 16 Old 05-10-2011, 04:31 PM Thread Starter
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I figured my existing spring was probably corroded by now since I bought the Jeep used and the coolant doesn't look too good. I'll probably just go for one of the new Gates hoses that have been reinforced to not need the spring inside. However, Ryan, have you used that universal fit Spectre hose on your TJ? I'm wary of universal fit hoses simply because I don't believe they don't flow as smoothy as formed hoses do.

post #10 of 16 Old 05-10-2011, 05:46 PM
tshively
2006 LJ Wrangler 

When I did my swap I found that the OEM hoses were far better quality than Napa and they cost less!
post #11 of 16 Old 05-10-2011, 06:29 PM
JBTJ
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Original equipment molded radiator hoses often were equipped with a coil inside them. Some refer to this coil as a spring, but it isn't really a spring. Actually just a piece of thin metal rod that has been twisted, it was designed to facilitate the installation of coolant on the assembly line, and nothing more.

When the cooling system of a car is completely drained, or in the case of a brand new car under construction, never had coolant in it, there is a considerable amount of air in the passage ways. Normally, when filling up the cooling system, you start the car to circulate the coolant, displace trapped air, and then top it off. On the assembly line, this wasn't feasible, so air in the cooling system was evacuated by essentially pulling a vacuum on it. This also had the added advantage of speeding up the introduction of the coolant mixture to the cooling system as well. The coil in the lower radiator hose prevented the hose from collapsing under this higher than normal vacuum.

Once the car left the factory, the coil served no further purpose. This is why replacement hoses usually do not have a coil in them. Most cooling systems operate at 12-15 P.S.I., which is controlled by the radiator cap. This is enough pressure to allow a normally functioning cooling system to operate efficiently, yet not enough to cause collapsed hoses or leaks in seals if they're in good condition. If the lower radiator hose collapses, it is normally due to a fault somewhere else in the system, and is not necessarily indicative of a bad hose, although an old hose certainly might be susceptible to collapse due to age. Normally, if the hose is in good condition but collapsing and blocking the flow of coolant, the radiator cap is bad or there's a blockage somewhere else causing pressure to build up in the cooling system.

As vehicles with original hoses began to age, the coil would sometimes begin to corrode and deteriorate, circulating tiny pieces of metal throughout the cooling system. We'll leave it to your imagination what this did to water pumps and thermostats.
post #12 of 16 Old 05-10-2011, 07:53 PM
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
... However, Ryan, have you used that universal fit Spectre hose on your TJ? I'm wary of universal fit hoses simply because I don't believe they don't flow as smoothy as formed hoses do.
Those are the hoses I had to use on my TJ.

I had to order a couple times to get the correct hoses.

I had to trim them to length so they would fit.

They were pretty much a PITA, but its because of the application I'm trying to use them for. My radiator hoses have to make some funny bends and I have different sizes on the motor and radiator.
post #13 of 16 Old 06-19-2017, 11:05 AM
Fargo
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Sorry, reviving a very, very old thread here. What is the current status of hoses with the spring in them? Jerry do you remember what you ever did with yours?

I need to replace my radiator and want to put on good hoses right away. Can I just get a Gates from Amazon or do I need to search out something with the spring? From info here sounds like the spring is not needed.

2005 Rubicon Unlimited Sahara Limited Edition #41
6spd manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
...there's very little that is more permanent than a temporary solution
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oman Jeep
Go with quality and cry once. Go cheap and cry often. Take your pick ;)
LJ Owners Group member #110
post #14 of 16 Old 06-19-2017, 11:15 AM Thread Starter
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargo View Post
Sorry, reviving a very, very old thread here. What is the current status of hoses with the spring in them? Jerry do you remember what you ever did with yours?

I need to replace my radiator and want to put on good hoses right away. Can I just get a Gates from Amazon or do I need to search out something with the spring? From info here sounds like the spring is not needed.
Springs are no longer needed with today's better hose materials. Just get a Gates, Goodyear, etc. and you're good to go. Most of us will also strongly suggest/recommend you stick with a Mopar radiator and not a store-brand.

post #15 of 16 Old 06-19-2017, 11:38 AM
happymudder10
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah, I just refreshed my whole cooling system, and none of the hoses came with springs. (I wish I would have seen this thread earlier). BTW Goodyear hoses are now being sold as Continental. Same for the belts.

Just a traveling cat in a tall black hat riding a goat. Nothing to see here.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.