JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   TJ Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/)
-   -   Can someone help me out? New battery and now overheating problem (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/can-someone-help-me-out-new-battery-now-overheating-problem-1468812/)

leah581 01-25-2013 09:02 AM

Can someone help me out? New battery and now overheating problem
 
I drive a '97 Jeep TJ Sahara Edition, 6cyl 4.0L Automatic.

Yesterday my battery died on me, not the real issue here but I need to tell the backstory to get my point across. My dad came home, boosted me and helped me back to my house. He stayed home and played around a bit and decided that my command start was draining my battery. So I got a new battery, a higher voltage. I think somewhere in the 700s?

Today I was making my 45 minute commute to the university, and when I was about 3/4 the way there my dash beeped, CHECK GAUGES. So I take a look at the heat one, and my Jeep is about to overheat!

Could this be due to a new battery? We're dealing with -40 celsius weather here so I don't understand how it could possibly overheat. I was able to get the light off and the temperature down by the time I got to school, but I'm ever so curious. Also, my heat blows cold and my dad says we need to either drain the heater core or get a new one. Could this be why?

Thanks guys, I appreciate it.

:p

frenchy206 01-25-2013 09:18 AM

A few things. Auto batteries only have 12 volts, no more. The 700 number you are referring to are cca's or cold cranking amps. 700 is a good number.

No, the battery would not cause your over heating issue.

If you have no heat, it could be that the heater core is clogged, bit I would first check your coolant level. Not enough coolant in the system will cause any car to over heat and also not produce heat inside the cab.

Add some coolant, check for leaks. When was the last time you serviced the cooling system? (change the fluid, thermostat, hoses, etc)

Jerry Bransford 01-25-2013 09:22 AM

How fresh is your coolant? Does it have the right 50:50 ratio of coolant to water? If there's insufficient antifreeze coolant mixed in with your water, maybe the coolant is getting slushy/partially frozen & not able to circulate properly.

JustinCHorst 01-25-2013 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford (Post 14850575)
How fresh is your coolant? Does it have the right 50:50 ratio of coolant to water? If there's insufficient antifreeze coolant mixed in with your water, maybe the coolant is getting slushy/partially frozen & not able to circulate properly.

This would be my bet

oakmckinley 01-25-2013 12:51 PM

Also about your battery. I'm in MN, just south of you. When I put a new one in my XJ 4.0 I put in a 900 CCA. I feel like 700 isn't enough for you with those temps. You'll notice this when you have to crank it for a long time to get it to start. Mine fires right up down to -15F. (yesterday for me)

tomsrancho 01-25-2013 01:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
At -40 C, which is also -40 F, you need a bit more than a 50-50 mixture of coolant/antifreeze. A 60% concentration would get you safe down to -51 C, -60 F.

Knuckelhead 01-25-2013 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frenchy206 (Post 14850556)
A few things. Auto batteries only have 12 volts, no more.

Really? Mine has 12.75 vdc at rest...

Jerry Bransford 01-25-2013 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frenchy206 (Post 14850556)
A few things. Auto batteries only have 12 volts, no more.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Knuckelhead (Post 14852841)
Really? Mine has 12.75 vdc at rest...

Yep, 12.6v is the recognized/accepted voltage for a fully charged automotive battery. A tad more like 12.75 is right in spec for a fully charged battery.

Knuckelhead 01-25-2013 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford (Post 14852867)
Yep, 12.6v is the recognized/accepted voltage for a fully charged automotive battery. A tad more like 12.75 is right in spec for a fully charged battery.

And it's an 8 year old yellow top... :D

Jerry Bransford 01-25-2013 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Knuckelhead (Post 14853306)
And it's an 8 year old yellow top... :D

I can believe that for an 8 year old Yellow Top. ;)

F9K9 01-25-2013 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Knuckelhead (Post 14853306)
And it's an 8 year old yellow top... :D

Run out and buy a lotto ticket, quick!! You certainly have the karma thing, down pat!

JackSchitt1978 01-25-2013 10:27 PM

I would do as the other members suggested and check your coolant. I bet your thermostat is sticking. 60/40 mixture is perfect for your geographic location. Change your coolant and your thermostat and I can almost guarantee that will solve the issue. I got the 190 F thermostat, the one that if it does fail, it stays stuck open rather than closed causing your symptoms.

Jerry Bransford 01-26-2013 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackSchitt1978 (Post 14854756)
I got the 190 F thermostat, the one that if it does fail, it stays stuck open rather than closed ...

Failsafe thermostats cause more problems than they prevent because they too easily latch in the open position. Once they do that, they will not reset and are then useless as a thermostat. My strongest possible recommendation is to avoid the use of those so-called "failsafe" thermostats.

bondosgto 01-26-2013 12:50 PM

I once had my ranger over heat due to ice build up in front of it.

leah581 03-15-2013 09:36 AM

OKAY GUYS WE FIXED IT.

The idiot who fixed my exhaust system forgot to replace the coolant.
We got me a new battery anyways.


The time now is 09:43 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.