Can I use adjustable rear control arms to adjust my driveline angles, and if so, how? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Can I use adjustable rear control arms to adjust my driveline angles, and if so, how?

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Artec JK Under Armor Bellypan

Unread 05-22-2010, 11:25 PM   #1
guht
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Can I use adjustable rear control arms to adjust my driveline angles, and if so, how?

I am doing a UCF tummy tuck this weekend with a modified transmission mount that gives an inch more clearance. I already have a 1" BL and 1" MML, which also helps.

My driveline angle right now is around 11-12 degrees, and with this tummy tuck I am expecting it to reach at least 15, pushing me near the limit for vibrations.

My question is simply can rear upper and lower adjustable control arms help bring the driveline angles back down a couple degrees, and if they can how should I adjust them to do so?

Are there any GOOD writeups like 4x4xplor style detailing this topic?

Which end do I want towards the front, and which end do I want towards the rear in the picture below?

Thanks for looking!

2004 TJ SE, 2.4L 4Banger, 5-Spd Manual NVG1500 Tranny, NV 231 Transfercase, D30/D35, 4:11, 245/75R16 Goodyear M/T, Rock Hard Rock Sliders, Master Flow MF-1050 onboard air
guht is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2010, 11:35 PM   #2
J03_TJ
Self Smarted

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Adjust your lower arms to 15.75 and then adjust your uppers to get your pumpkin pointed at your transfer case. (You do have a SYE/Rubicon and new driveshaft right?) After that wheel it and see where your rear tires hit your flares. Here is mine set with 16" lowers.
moonrocks7.jpg  
J03_TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2010, 11:35 PM   #3
SILASPRIT
1997 ZJ 

Yes, they adjust you pinion angle. Bring the lowers to where you want the tire to sit in the wheel well. Then adjust the uppers to correct your pinion angle, it's that simple. Solid bushing goes to the frame and JJ goes to the axle. FYI for the front you can do this too, but keep your caster angle in mind. You have to find the "sweet spot" with the right pinion angle and the right caster angle. Good luck!

-SOLD-
1997 Grand Cherokee 5.2 Limited - D44a Trussed 4.10 Gears - HP30 4.10 Gears - NP242 - IRO HnT - IRO Custom Drive Shaft - 4.5" lift - JKS Quicker Disconnects -
RC Front ADJ. Trackbar - IRO Rear ADJ. Trackbar - Rusty's Lower ADJ. CA's - Front tow hooks - Rear OE Hitch - T-Case Skid -
Gas Tank Skid - Bilstein 5125's - 31" MTR's - Magnaflow SS Muffler - 1.25" Wheel Spacers - Custom Rock Sliders - Cobra 19 DXIV

I am an Authorized IRO dealer!!
SILASPRIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2010, 11:41 PM   #4
guht
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by J03_TJ View Post
Adjust your lower arms to 15.75 and then adjust your uppers to get your pumpkin pointed at your transfer case. (You do have a SYE/Rubicon and new driveshaft right?) After that wheel it and see where your rear tires hit your flares. Here is mine set with 16" lowers.
No lift, and NO SYE/CV yett.... That is coming next in a couple months... I was hoping I could still adjust the upper lower rears and effect the pinion angle in a beneficial way.....

Are you suggesting that this will not work without a SYE/CV.... If so why wont it work?

If not, then do I need to do something different then what you previously stated?

Thanks for the reply!
2004 TJ SE, 2.4L 4Banger, 5-Spd Manual NVG1500 Tranny, NV 231 Transfercase, D30/D35, 4:11, 245/75R16 Goodyear M/T, Rock Hard Rock Sliders, Master Flow MF-1050 onboard air
Unread 05-22-2010, 11:42 PM   #5
guht
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILASPRIT View Post
Yes, they adjust you pinion angle. Bring the lowers to where you want the tire to sit in the wheel well. Then adjust the uppers to correct your pinion angle, it's that simple. Solid bushing goes to the frame and JJ goes to the axle. FYI for the front you can do this too, but keep your caster angle in mind. You have to find the "sweet spot" with the right pinion angle and the right caster angle. Good luck!
Thanks!

I have front lowers, but no front uppers... Im going to leave front alone for now!
Unread 05-23-2010, 04:08 AM   #6
clarkja
2005 LJ Wrangler 

To my understanding, if you don't have a cv rear driveshaft then you want your rear angles to match. Meaning the t-case u-joint and the pinion u-joint should be the same. If they're not then you'll end up with vibes. When you put in a cv rear shaft then you want the pinion u-joint pointing straight at the t-case. Does that make sense? If I'm wrong on that someone will correct me.
Unread 05-23-2010, 08:40 AM   #7
otisdog
2003 TJ Wrangler 

After a certain amount of lift you can't get the angles correct with a stock setup. They need to be parallel and if you get it there your driveshaft angle will be too steep.
jim

Unread 05-23-2010, 10:09 AM   #8
guht
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by otisdog View Post
After a certain amount of lift you can't get the angles correct with a stock setup. They need to be parallel and if you get it there your driveshaft angle will be too steep.
jim
I really like the pictures, but I am confused. I wouldn't call adjustable control arms "stock", and I have read in many different threads that adjustable control arms are used to adjust pinion angle? Unfortunately this idea was not elaborated on, which is why I am asking for a proper and detailed explaination here. So what am I missing?

When using an angle finder what is the optimal angle of driveshaft, and please dont say 0, I am speaking realistically.

Also, when using an angle finder what are the typical tolerances between "NO VIBES" and "THAT ***** IS DEFINITELY GOING TO VIBE!!"

More pictures please!
Unread 05-23-2010, 10:57 AM   #9
otisdog
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Sorry - by stock setup I mean a stock two u-joint driveshaft. You can see in the pic that the t-case and diff angles need to be parallel. As you lift, and you are lifting by doing a belly-up, it gets hard if not impossible to retain thse angles - and if you do then the driveshaft angle can get too steep. I'm not sure what the maximum angle is but I guess you can try your project and see what happens. If you have vibes then you'll need the SYE/CV.
Jim

There comes a point where you just can't adjust the vibes away in the standard two joint short driveshaft on the Wranglers. That's why they SYE/CV system was developed. The SYE not only provides a fixed yoke on the t-case it also shortens the t-case to allow for a longer driveshaft and the CV works at greater angles. Below is what my driveline looked like after a 4" lift. I tried every way to deal with the bookoo vibes I had to no avail. I did an SY/CV right away.

Unread 05-23-2010, 11:02 AM   #10
srlbotanical
1997 TJ Wrangler 

If you don't have a SYE installed yet then you want to split the angle just like the first picture above.

The second picture shows a 0 degree angle at the axle end. Remember, this relationship is not the pinion to the ground. Its the angle between the pinion and the shaft, so in that second picture the axle side is zero. In my experience, with a SYE (cv drive shaft) I like to be 3 degrees or less. On a shaft with only two joints, you need to split the difference between the two (first picture).

Using just adjustable upper arms you can move your pinion up by lengthening them (typical) or down by shortening them (not typical).

Hope that helps.

HIGHER POWERED!!
srlbotanical is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2010, 11:17 AM   #11
robncar
We Got The Cup, AGAIN!!!

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Lower adjustable control arms set wheelbase. (front axle to rear axle measurement)

Upper adjustable control arms set pinion angle.

Another issue to consider, besides pinion angle, is the overall drive shaft length. The slip yoke can only travel so far before it's an issue. When one installs an SYE (slip yoke eliminator) and CV style driveshaft the slip yoke at the t-case will be moved to splines in the driveshaft (also longer than stock) that will make up this difference in length as the rear axle travels with suspension movement. In the pic above (stock shaft), you can see that the rubber boot is pulled open quite a bit.

For a stock shaft (2 u-joints), the u-joint angles need to be equal and opposite. In other words, the t-case output shaft and the pinion should be on the same plane.

For a CV style shaft (3 u-joints), the pinion angle should be +/- 1 degree relative to the driveshaft.

robncar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adjustable , control arm , pinion angle , rear

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.