JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   TJ Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/)
-   -   Can I remove the steering and the trackbar at the same time? (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/can-i-remove-steering-trackbar-same-time-1542840/)

ipath68 06-29-2013 02:00 PM

Can I remove the steering and the trackbar at the same time?

Or should I do one then the other, I don't want to screw everything up. I.e. replacing stock steering with Currie and also replacing the bds adjustable to jks adjustable.

Jerry Bransford 06-29-2013 03:04 PM

No problem, simply install & get the track bar adjusted so the axle is centered first, before installing the rest of it. Then you can install the drag link & tie rod & adjust them so your steering wheel is straight & the toe-in is proper. :)

ipath68 06-29-2013 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford
No problem, simply install & get the track bar adjusted so the axle is centered first, before installing the rest of it. Then you can install the drag link & tie rod & adjust them so your steering wheel is straight & the toe-in is proper. :)

Thank you sir

ATTJ 06-30-2013 05:49 AM

Don't let anyone turn the steering wheel while the drag link is disconnected from the piman arm. This could break the clock spring and it ain't cheep.

rchase559 06-30-2013 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ATTJ
Don't let anyone turn the steering wheel while the drag link is disconnected from the piman arm. This could break the clock spring and it ain't cheep.

No it won't. The steering box has internal stops that prevent it from turning too far. I did some of the bleeding to my PS steering system with the drag link detached.

The issue occurs when you disconnect the steering shaft at any point. There is then nothing to restrict its rotation.

ATTJ 06-30-2013 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rchase559 (Post 15623836)

No it won't. The steering box has internal stops that prevent it from turning too far. I did some of the bleeding to my PS steering system with the drag link detached.

The issue occurs when you disconnect the steering shaft at any point. There is then nothing to restrict its rotation.

Wish someone would've told my old CS that. :)

ATTJ 06-30-2013 07:52 AM

Unless I had an internal problem with the steering gear. I had to replaced that a month or so later. That time I bungee corded the steering wheel.

ipath68 07-01-2013 09:56 AM

So I set my toe in adjustment on my own, do I still need to get a front end alignment?

Jerry Bransford 07-01-2013 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ipath68 (Post 15628045)
So I set my toe in adjustment on my own, do I still need to get a front end alignment?

Not if you got your toe-in adjusted properly, that's usually all that needs to be set if your adjustable control arm lengths are correct.

ipath68 07-01-2013 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford
Not if you got your toe-in adjusted properly, that's usually all that needs to be set if your adjustable control arm lengths are correct.

Ok that's what I understood, I haven't messed with the control arms since the last alignment. Thanks again!

The time now is 12:17 PM.