Can I remove the front drive shaft and still drive around? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Can I remove the front drive shaft and still drive around?

XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoSYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 09-04-2012, 09:16 AM   #31
tehshoemaker
1996 XJ Cherokee 

^ x2 LONG LIVE THE THREAD!!!!!!!!!!

tehshoemaker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2013, 10:58 PM   #32
MjolnirMarkV
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecm View Post
To the guy that mentioned this thread was old......just because this thread is old doesn't mean it can't help somebody today. I mean, people didn't stop removing TJ driveshafts 6 years ago. lol
It helped to make the decision to take the front drive shaft off before I did it tonight actually.
MjolnirMarkV is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2013, 04:26 PM   #33
TrailJ
2006 LJ Wrangler 

+1 for this thread; pulled my front drive shaft today and going to order the Danny's kit tomorrow. Seems to be the source for my sparrow.
TrailJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2013, 06:00 AM   #34
heart2heartroat

how do i determine which drive shaft i have in my 97 jeep wrangler tj. i want to order another one and it asks if it is a dana 35 or 40 or something like that. please dont suggest taking it to a shop as I live on an island in central america and having a mechanic here determine which one it is WILL NOT HAPPEN, nor do i trust them to know this. please help. someone told me i could use my VIN to determine this but i cannot find anywhere on line to find this out. your help would be ever so greatly appreciated. thank you
heart2heartroat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2014, 07:13 AM   #35
blop2000

YES! People 10 years later are still pulling the drive shafts out and are having issues taking out the 4 bolts by the double cardan - LIKE ME!
blop2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2014, 09:31 AM   #36
rchase559
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blop2000
YES! People 10 years later are still pulling the drive shafts out and are having issues taking out the 4 bolts by the double cardan - LIKE ME!
I don't have any issues using a 1/4" drive ratchet with a 5/16" socket. In fact I just used that combination a few days ago to pull the driveshaft prior to rebuilding the transfer case.
rchase559 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2014, 10:12 AM   #37
rikkards
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

If there is anything you want to invest in is an 8mm ratcheting wrench. It is sooo much better access to the bolts at the Transfer Case than a socket and ratchet. I also find the easiest way is to jack up the driver side wheel, lay parallel with the jeep with your head against the rear tire. You shouldn't need to drop the skid to get at it.
Unread 01-09-2014, 01:43 PM   #38
mike_dippert
hodophobic

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Ive tried countless 1/4" drive rackets and sockets and gear wrenches. The only thing I have every been able to use successfully was a traditional combo wrench. I can use ratcheting stuff for about half the threads then I have to switch.
That's even with the skid plate dropped, having as much room to work in as possible.
JF taught me that the 2.5L, Ax-5 and D35 together are so powerful that angels weep when I shift into 4LO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
The only thing a bicycle inner tube is good for, is tying a knot in the end of when you run out of condoms.
mike_dippert is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-22-2014, 11:09 PM   #39
Justindbrooks92
2000 WJ 

I have the slip yolk or whatever u call it.. I replaced the transfer case side u joint now the differential side is bad.. Can I just pull the yolk out change the joint and put it back in?
I rele don't wanna take all those bolts out of the rear side again if I can just do the front and put it back if this makes sense
Justindbrooks92 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-23-2014, 04:55 AM   #40
mike_dippert
hodophobic

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justindbrooks92 View Post
I have the slip yolk or whatever u call it.... I replaced the transfer case side u joint now the differential side is bad.. Can I just pull the yolk out change the joint and put it back in?
I rele don't wanna take all those bolts out of the rear side again if I can just do the front and put it back if this makes sense
I can't figure out if you're talking about the front or rear driveshaft. Are you asking if you can pull the driveshaft apart into two peices leaving the Tcase side in place?
JF taught me that the 2.5L, Ax-5 and D35 together are so powerful that angels weep when I shift into 4LO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
The only thing a bicycle inner tube is good for, is tying a knot in the end of when you run out of condoms.
mike_dippert is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-23-2014, 05:18 AM   #41
rikkards
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkutzner View Post
Use a wrench (8mm?) !!! Turn the driveshaft to the spot that gives the best angle. I found that even my little socket/ratchet would hit and angle the socket on the nut.....increasing the chance of strippage!!! And you don't want 'strippage !!!
What he said. Best thing you can do is buy a ratcheting wrench for doing it.
Unread 04-23-2014, 06:45 AM   #42
Dueces

1999 TJ Wrangler 

These helped me a lot when getting the ds out. They are really nice to get in tight spaces.

http://m.sears.com/index-g.html#/pro...r=00904250000P
Unread 04-23-2014, 07:20 AM   #43
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I have the slip yolk or whatever u call it.. I replaced the transfer case side u joint now the differential side is bad.. Can I just pull the yolk out change the joint and put it back in?
I don't see how you are going to be able to pull the driveshaft straight back far enough to get it off the slip yoke with the axle side still connected. Think about how it will start to angle given that fixed anchor. How hard is it to take off 4 bolts on the yoke straps at the axle?
Unread 04-23-2014, 03:13 PM   #44
Justindbrooks92
2000 WJ 

I don't have the simple 4 bolt strap style I wanna pull the front drive shaft off at the differential side and pull the drive shaft apart into 2 pieces.. Change the front u joint and slide the yoke back in bolt all 6 bolts back on and go.. Is that possible
Justindbrooks92 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-23-2014, 03:38 PM   #45
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I don't have the simple 4 bolt strap style I wanna pull the front drive shaft off at the differential side and pull the drive shaft apart into 2 pieces.. Change the front u joint and slide the yoke back in bolt all 6 bolts back on and go.. Is that possible
Just keep the splines clean and make sure it goes back together oriented the same way it came apart and that will be fine.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.