Can I remove the front drive shaft and still drive around? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Can I remove the front drive shaft and still drive around?

Dual Color LED Light Bars White/AmberTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGAlloy USA Still Available

Unread 08-29-2010, 03:44 PM   #16
Stu Olson
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

This is true....folks are still removing the front drive shafts....for the same reasons too.

Here is a write-up detailing a way to remove the TJ's front drive shaft. It also has info on removing the u-joints, etc.

Stu Olson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2010, 05:51 PM   #17
lakotaed
1994 ZJ 

Never too old to learn?

Thank you for reviving this thread and providing me with exactly what I needed. I read a few threads that focused on the front end death wobble, which is not a shimmy by any stretch. Anyway, I have gotten tired of just replacing parts that everyone suggests, which I appreciate, but I still have the problem. A couple of the people removed their front axles and the wobble went away. I had a 76 Montego that had a wobble, but it did not feel like anything I am experiencing, but it was definitely in the drive train. It turned out to be a worn bushing that the shaft fit into.

I noticed about a 1 1/2 inch area on the shaft end near the TC that is polished. I assume it is sliding in and out as I am driving and is rubbing on something to shine it up. I am going to pull it, using your link, and see if the wobble weebles and falls down.

Thanks for keeping this one alive. Please do not turn this into a death wobble thread though, there are enough of them already.
lakotaed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2011, 10:24 AM   #18
Kris5449
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I bought a 97 TJ that the prior owner had removed the front drive shaft (didn't realize it until after I owned it as it was my first jeep). I suspect that it was the cause of my death wobble, but excluding that no other problems resulted.
Kris5449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2011, 11:01 AM   #19
Sgt_Utz
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Wow... This is a thread that will never die... 7 years old now!
Sgt_Utz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2011, 04:59 PM   #20
FZY1
1999 TJ Wrangler 

This is a good thread that is still relevant even if it is 7 years old. I was just thinking of doing something similar.
FZY1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2011, 11:32 AM   #21
Vici0usX
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I was looking for this answer as well. I've been leaving my front driveshaft off unless i'm four wheeling, saves money in the long run. Wasn't sure if it'd cause any damage but thanks for clarifying.
Vici0usX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2011, 11:38 AM   #22
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vici0usX View Post
I've been leaving my front driveshaft off unless i'm four wheeling, saves money in the long run.
If it does, and I'm not saying I believe it helps in the least, it'd be so insignificant to not be worth the effort. The front axle spins its ring & pinion gears no matter what and the t-case has a true neutral for the front driveshaft when in 2wd so I wouldn't even begin to think there's a bb in a boxcar's worth of difference with the front driveshaft being removed.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2011, 11:58 AM   #23
Vici0usX
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I was talking about replacement costs for the driveshaft parts, such as replacing ujoints. I just don't see any point to my front driveshaft unless I'm four wheeling.
Unread 12-13-2011, 01:14 PM   #24
mdm
Farm Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I was talking about replacement costs for the driveshaft parts, such as replacing ujoints. I just don't see any point to my front driveshaft unless I'm four wheeling.
The u-joints in the front drive shaft see very little stress when in 2WD. You are more likely to wear out the threads on the yokes repeatedly removing and installing the shaft than wearing out the u-joints. I guess this is rather subjective. Going off-road once a year is a lot different than if you are off-road every weekend, but I'd still leave the shaft in place.
Unread 12-13-2011, 09:28 PM   #25
Sgt_Utz
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
If it does, and I'm not saying I believe it helps in the least, it'd be so insignificant to not be worth the effort. The front axle spins its ring & pinion gears no matter what and the t-case has a true neutral for the front driveshaft when in 2wd so I wouldn't even begin to think there's a bb in a boxcar's worth of difference with the front driveshaft being removed.
Unless you have hubs in the front. But not sure a $900 upgrade is worth it for a practically invisible improvement in gas mileage.
Sgt_Utz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2011, 05:16 AM   #26
mike_dippert
hodophobic

2005 LJ Wrangler 

I've had my front shaft off for the better part of 2 years now (wheeling is pretty low on the priority list right now). The reason is because my DC joint started squeeling in winter, had it rebuilt in spring, started squeeling again the next winter. The centering ball is to blame in my case. I don't think the shop did honest rebuild on it, so I blame them for the second time.
I'm replacing it with a coast driveline shaft for a primary, and rebuilding the stocker myself as a back-up.

Cost savings is so negligent that planning your errand routes and driving efficiently will save you more money. $150 for my rebuild (which should have lasted 5 years) is $0.58/week. Even just 3 years is $1/week.
JF taught me that the 2.5L, Ax-5 and D35 together are so powerful that angels weep when I shift into 4LO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
The only thing a bicycle inner tube is good for, is tying a knot in the end of when you run out of condoms.
mike_dippert is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2011, 05:29 AM   #27
BillR
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
You're correct in that there is no point to the front driveshaft of you don't need 4WD. Taking it off when it's not going to be needed for awhile reduces the wear on the ujoints and centering ball of the shaft. Manual hubs accomplish the same thing at a MUCH higher cost.
Unread 12-16-2011, 04:19 PM   #28
Vici0usX
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah that's all I'm saying! I know I'm not going to save a lot of money but I dont have to worry about it anymore. Thanks for the info, I didn't know about manual hubs.
Unread 12-16-2011, 04:23 PM   #29
Vici0usX
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_dippert View Post
I've had my front shaft off for the better part of 2 years now (wheeling is pretty low on the priority list right now). The reason is because my DC joint started squeeling in winter, had it rebuilt in spring, started squeeling again the next winter. The centering ball is to blame in my case. I don't think the shop did honest rebuild on it, so I blame them for the second time.
I'm replacing it with a coast driveline shaft for a primary, and rebuilding the stocker myself as a back-up.

Cost savings is so negligent that planning your errand routes and driving efficiently will save you more money. $150 for my rebuild (which should have lasted 5 years) is $0.58/week. Even just 3 years is $1/week.
Since I've moved, I have no idea where to go 4 wheelin' and the places I know are far away. That being the case and I don't have much time anymore as I'm always busy with work. That's why I said, if you don't 4 wheel, a front driveshaft is pointless to have and something else to worry about. My jeep makes enough sounds as it is
Unread 07-30-2012, 09:03 AM   #30
Mystic1031
1998 ZJ 

It is helping someone today I'm pulling my front drive shaft today
Mystic1031 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.