JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   TJ Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/)
-   -   Can I remove the front drive shaft and still drive around? (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/can-i-remove-front-drive-shaft-still-drive-around-85310/)

CobraKhan 05-26-2004 11:01 AM

Can I remove the front drive shaft and still drive around?

I got the "angry sparrows" noise, and it is really annoying. I have read that prolonged driving with this problem causes damage. So, for the time being, I want to remove the front drive shaft and work on it when I get time, at my leisure.

Question is: Can I drive around without the front drive shaft, without hurting anything?

Will there be any damage from prolonged driving without the drive shaft?

Dougget 05-26-2004 11:04 AM

I would say you can drop the front shaft. I've seen people drop their rear shaft, mostly people that installed a SYE kit and are waiting for their new shaft to get delivered, and drive around in 4Hi (Front wheel drive). Everything will still spin. Go for it.
Dougget

nj666z 05-26-2004 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CobraKhan
I got the "angry sparrows" noise, and it is really annoying. I have read that prolonged driving with this problem causes damage. So, for the time being, I want to remove the front drive shaft and work on it when I get time, at my leisure.

Question is: Can I drive around without the front drive shaft, without hurting anything?

My question is, if you are disconnecting the drive shaft at the U-joint which may be screaming, you are half way there to fixing the problem. My sparrows were coming from the foremost u-joint on the driveshaft. Get a U-joint press if you don't have one. If you aren't worried about rebuilding the actual u-joint (which I wasn't) a replacement can be had for about $20. Shouldn't take any more then a half hour to swap out the u-joint and get rid of the noise. Check out this write up:
http://www.stu-offroad.com/misc/driveshaft-1.htm
He actually repairs the old u-joint. If you get another, just toss the old one and replace it and bolt everything back together. Pretty easy and inexpensive fix.

lukestar 05-26-2004 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CobraKhan

Yes, you can remove the front drive shaft and drive. I broke the yoke on the front shaft of my 97 Wrangler so I removed it and drove it to the shop to have it worked on. No problem what so ever.

rkutzner 05-26-2004 06:29 PM

Yep, no problem. I even drove with the rear removed, as mentioned, with the TC in 4Hi for a month. A friend ran low in $$$ after his SYE and did this for over 3 months...no problems whatsoever!

Kris B Krunch 05-26-2004 09:19 PM

anybody got any suggestions as to how to remove the front shaft. Now that you're done laughing, yes I know that there are just 8 screws to remove, it's just I've attempted 3 times already to remove the 4 by the end at the transfer case and there is only enough room to fit one of those small ratchets and sockets(5/16"s I believe) and broke the cheap ratchet, couldn't get a single screw to move. Is there an easier way? I realy don't know much about the inside of the differentials, but could I pull something from there and leave the shaft in and use low range without damaging anything? btw, I've got different gears in both axles because I swapped in an 8.8 about 2 months ago and still don't have enough money to pay for a front gear swap. But I'd still like to attempt wheeling with just 2 wheel drive and 2Low. Thanks

jeepman14wheel 05-26-2004 10:00 PM

Don't about 4 wheeling in two wheel drive? I would get the correct set up and then take it out on the trail. The best way to get the bolts out is use a wrench. Yes, it is a pain in the a$$ to remove them, that is why I went with allen head bolts instead of regular 12 point boilts in both shafts. If you switch out bolts make sure that you get grade 8 or better hardware.

Kris B Krunch 05-26-2004 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeepman14wheel
Don't about 4 wheeling in two wheel drive? I would get the correct set up and then take it out on the trail. The best way to get the bolts out is use a wrench. Yes, it is a pain in the a$$ to remove them, that is why I went with allen head bolts instead of regular 12 point boilts in both shafts. If you switch out bolts make sure that you get grade 8 or better hardware.

I know I'd like to wait until I get the right set up until I go wheeling again. But the fact is, I spent a lot of money in the last few months. I swapped in a 8.8 axle wich wasn't cheap and all the other stuff along with it. I did an SYE and bought a new cv driveshaft at the same time. New flares from a rubicon, new warn 9500i winch, new custom built rear bumper with reciever and tire carier and trail rack. So you can see, all of the stuff I've bought since about March I think adds up to quite a bit. And it was only last summer that I put in the lift and got the tires. So, I'm quite broke right now, paying off the line of credit, and no, I'm not some punk kid that uses their parents money. I'm 23, bought my jeep and everything for it myself and I work 2 part time jobs to pay for it. I might be able to get the money for the gears by the end of the summer, but I'm planning on going to europe for a month in september, so opportunities for me to do traveling like that don't come up all the time, so I've got some saving to do for that.

Sorry for the long story, but I thought it was needed. I'm going nuts driving my jeep around as just a mall crawler. I don't care too much if I get stuck on the trail, at least it'll be fun doing it. heh heh.

rkutzner 05-27-2004 04:17 AM

Use a wrench (8mm?) !!! Turn the driveshaft to the spot that gives the best angle. I found that even my little socket/ratchet would hit and angle the socket on the nut.....increasing the chance of strippage!!! And you don't want 'strippage !!! :D

tha_Toad 05-10-2010 03:40 PM

yeah it wont hurt nothing. I snapped the rear output shaft on mine and had to drive a few days in 4hi. Man those days with a front wheel drive jeep felt wierd, but yeah removing the front wont hurt nothin

larjeep 05-10-2010 05:51 PM

U swapped in a 8.8 and u can't get the front drive shaft out. WTF. :confused:

biffgnar 05-10-2010 06:28 PM

Guys, nice that you want to help but this thread is six years old!! Hopefully OPs problem is solved by now!

stuff2c 05-10-2010 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by larjeep (Post 9436767)

My thoughts exactly :rofl:

Kris B Krunch 05-10-2010 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by larjeep (Post 9436767)

ok, well, about 6 years ago I was still learning a lot about my jeep and everything big I did, I was heavily helped by friends, as in, my contribution was the tool getter and light holder, lol.
Not claiming to be a great mechanic now, but I'm a lot more confident in doing my own work on, it, sure, I still get some help. Buying a Jeep and reading these forums did a lot for me, when I bought my Jeep the extent of my mechanical knowledge was I did a few oil changes on my old vehicle.

Anyways, yeah, time to put this old thread to rest....just had to clear things up a bit.

ecm 08-29-2010 03:18 PM

To the guy that mentioned this thread was old......just because this thread is old doesn't mean it can't help somebody today. I mean, people didn't stop removing TJ driveshafts 6 years ago. lol

The time now is 08:36 AM.