Can i put the positive cable to the negative? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Can i put the positive cable to the negative?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineDan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 03-08-2006, 11:55 AM   #1
Nickb1907
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Can i put the positive cable to the negative?

Im trying to do a PCM flash and it requires "discharging the capacitors in the memory" by touching the positive battery cable to a ground. Will the negative terminal work for a ground? Or will it blow up and kill me

If anyone else has done the PCM flash does it show you in any way that the memory is reset?

Nickb1907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2006, 12:01 PM   #2
RAAB3485
Viewer Discretion Advised

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickb1907
Im trying to do a PCM flash and it requires "discharging the capacitors in the memory" by touching the positive battery cable to a ground. Will the negative terminal work for a ground? Or will it blow up and kill me

If anyone else has done the PCM flash does it show you in any way that the memory is reset?
Touching the postive to the negative battery terminal should do the same thing as touching it to the ground because if you follow the wires off the negative battery terminal they just run to the chassis.

Colorado Jeep Club Member #1
RAAB3485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2006, 12:01 PM   #3
jzmtl
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Depends on how big the capacitor is, you'll get some sort of spark. But do what it says and find a ground, better safe than sorry.
jzmtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2006, 12:18 PM   #4
Nickb1907
2000 TJ Wrangler 

still no definete answer.... is the motor mount bolt a good ground?
Unread 03-08-2006, 12:20 PM   #5
RAAB3485
Viewer Discretion Advised

2004 WJ 

Anything that goes to the chassis is a good ground. You can touch the engine even. Frame, bolts going to the frame, negative battery terminal, axles, all are bolted to the frame.

Colorado Jeep Club Member #1
RAAB3485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2006, 12:24 PM   #6
CNY
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I guess the important thing is to remember we're talking about doing these things disconnected from the battery.
Quote:
........by touching the positive battery cable to a ground. Will the negative terminal work for a ground.......
So, yes, you can disconnect the positive battery cable, and touch it to the disconnected negative battery cable.
CNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2006, 12:27 PM   #7
Nickb1907
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamCNY
I guess the important thing is to remember we're talking about doing these things disconnected from the battery.
So, yes, you can disconnect the positive battery cable, and touch it to the disconnected negative battery cable.
ya i was talking about doing it to the connected negative cable, a voice in my head was saying no, so i thought i would check
Unread 03-08-2006, 12:33 PM   #8
UK 4X4

That does'nt read right to me,

normally when deflashing eproms you disconnect the chips positive input wire and short the chips pin to negative.

Not the +supply cable as that will just cause a short.

With most engine managements systems if you disconnect the battery for 20 mins Plus the system resets to factory defaults and re-learns the engines best settings.
UK 4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2006, 12:47 PM   #9
Toombs
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Think about this for a second. The frame and engine and body are only "grounded" when the negative battery cable is connected. Touching the disconnected positive battry cable to the frame is exactly the same as touching it to the still connected negative cable.

Mike
Unread 03-08-2006, 01:04 PM   #10
CNY
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
ya i was talking about doing it to the connected negative cable, ......
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toombs
......Touching the disconnected positive battry cable to the frame is exactly the same as touching it to the still connected negative cable.
Yes, disconnecting the positive cable and touching it to the connected negative cable would be fine (and accomplish the same thing as touching the + cable to any ground point in the car.

My suggestion to have both cables disconnected was over-doing it.
CNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2006, 06:39 PM   #11
Nickb1907
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamCNY
Yes, disconnecting the positive cable and touching it to the connected negative cable would be fine (and accomplish the same thing as touching the + cable to any ground point in the car.

My suggestion to have both cables disconnected was over-doing it.

i did it and my jeep blew up, J/k

The hole time i was ducking for cover though
Unread 03-08-2006, 06:48 PM   #12
VisitorJim

Quote:
i did it and my jeep blew up, J/k

The hole time i was ducking for cover though
the JEEP wounldn't have blown up, you just would have been sprayed with sulfuric acid... probably boiling sulfuric acid, if that happened at least you could collect disability, there's always a bright side
3.5" RE Super Flex, Daystar 1"BL/MML, 33x12.5 ProComp MT's on Black Steel, 4.56 Gears, Front Lock-Rite, NV3550 swap, 33 Eng Skid, LuK ProGold Clutch, AA SYE, Tom Woods Front and Rear, Full Borla Exhaust, Turbo City Intake, Optima Red Top, Alloy USA Axle Seals, PSC Rockers, KC Daylighters, Xenon Flares, and lots of other small stuff that adds up $$$

[URL=http://community.webshots.com/user/visitorjim]Pictures[/URL]

[COLOR=Blue]1990 Kawasaki EX 500[/COLOR] - work in progress - more work than progress...
VisitorJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2006, 06:51 PM   #13
Nickb1907
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisitorJim
the JEEP wounldn't have blown up, you just would have been sprayed with sulfuric acid... probably boiling sulfuric acid, if that happened at least you could collect disability, there's always a bright side
that would have been so worth it so that i can get a handicap spot with a scar on my face. I hate how people take advantage of that.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.