Can I drive my TJ Without the front driveshaft installed? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Can I drive my TJ Without the front driveshaft installed?

Bill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 04-26-2012, 08:42 AM   #31
DevilDogDoc
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKGeo View Post
From between the splined output shaft visible in that image and the seal meant to hug the outer spline shaft that's missing. Behind that harmonic dampener (which I don't have, btw) is the seal and bearing. The seal has a gap between its inner diameter and the output shaft, meant to be taken up by the internally splined tube attached to the ujoint yoke on the driveshaft itself. Illustrated in the pictures in this thread:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f37/n...eak-fix-82091/

It's a different tailshaft housing, but the idea is still the same. What you see there isn't completely sealed. Prove me wrong. It's entirely possible. But I don't think so. It's entirely possible that the design changed to remove that tailshaft and place the seal directly into the speedo sensor housing seen behind the harmonic dampener, and that's what I learned way back in the day. The old style cases WILL leak oil through the bearing and those splines. Quite possible that it won't leak from the newer style. Meh.
How funny that you link a YJ issue to a TJ case....

Unread 04-26-2012, 09:34 AM   #32
flying_bosun
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjones26573 View Post
Why are people arguing on a dead thread brought back by a smiley?

EDIT: Even if it is about trees (now that I read closer)
Because it's really important.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvcowjuice View Post
It doesn't, if there is no one around to interpret the vibrations caused by the tree into sound, they are just vibrations, not sounds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuckelhead View Post
It does.

Sound is a physical movement, you don't have to hear it for it to exist...
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaggedOleMan View Post
Of course it makes a sound. The fact that no one is there to hear it, doesn't mean the sound wasn't produced, just that it wasn't heard...
So does hearing something mean that a sound was produced? What about hallucinations, hmmmm?

As A.E. said, it's relative to your frame of reference. Do you ascribe to definition one or 2 below?

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://dictionary.reference.com
Sound:
noun
the sensation produced by stimulation of the organs of hearing by vibrations transmitted through the air or other medium.
mechanical vibrations transmitted through an elastic medium, traveling in air at a speed of approximately 1087 feet (331 meters) per second at sea level.
I say that for it to be "sound", then it must contain both of the above elements, not merely one or the other:

Quote:
Sound is a mechanical wave that is an oscillation of pressure transmitted through a solid, liquid, or gas, composed of frequencies within the range of hearing and of a level sufficiently strong to be heard, or the sensation stimulated in organs of hearing by such vibrations.
If there is no one to hear it, then it there is no sensation stimulated in organs; no sound.

If there is no mechanical wave, then there is also no sound even if a person imagines having heard something.

BTW, I've just removed AKGeo from my ignore list. I've decided that his input can be very entertaining, much like watching a train-wreck in 3-D slow motion; you know you should look away, but can't, and not very useful, but fascinating none-the-less.
[URL="http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html"][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="3"]Gear-Calculator[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.stu-offroad.com/siteindex.asp"][COLOR="White"][SIZE="3"]Stu Can Help You[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.berrysprinter.com/jeepparts.php"][COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="3"]Part Names and Numbers[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.wholesalemopar.com/"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Red"]Dealer Supplied Parts and ask for "Jeep Club" Prices[/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]

[QUOTE=Ron Paul]“Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.”
― Ron Paul[/QUOTE]

[CENTER][SIZE="5"]"Did [I]you[/I] exchange your walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?"[/SIZE][/CENTER]
flying_bosun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2012, 02:59 PM   #33
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying_bosun View Post
If there is no one to hear it, then it there is no sensation stimulated in organs; no sound.

BTW, I've just removed AKGeo from my ignore list. I've decided that his input can be very entertaining, much like watching a train-wreck in 3-D slow motion; you know you should look away, but can't, and not very useful, but fascinating none-the-less.
Don't quit your day job.

And don't hold your breath waiting for that train wreck...
Unread 04-26-2012, 03:06 PM   #34
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying_bosun View Post
Because it's really important.

So does hearing something mean that a sound was produced? What about hallucinations, hmmmm?

As A.E. said, it's relative to your frame of reference. Do you ascribe to definition one or 2 below?

I say that for it to be "sound", then it must contain both of the above elements, not merely one or the other:

If there is no mechanical wave, then there is also no sound even if a person imagines having heard something.

Why would you ignore him to begin with? I see the entertainment value watching him step on his manhood regularly.
wushaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2012, 05:36 PM   #35
BigBlueTj
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Ive been doind that with my zj for about a year the dumb automatic 4 wheel switch kept turning on the 4 wheel drive on the high way... sooo out the front driveshaft went
BigBlueTj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2012, 08:42 PM   #36
schaan
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittenmittens View Post
i went to double double cardan and when i removed my t case drop i removed the drive shafts and didn't put the front back in.
So your C/V'd rear is adequate with a 6.5" lift?

I can go double cardan on front, remove my drop tcase brackets, and my rear C/V will still be cool with my 4" ?? Ive never lifted over 2.5, (on a Wrangler) and had not heard this.
schaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2012, 08:49 PM   #37
schaan
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Infra red trees

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjones26573 View Post
Why are people arguing on a dead thread brought back by a smiley?

EDIT: Even if it is about trees (now that I read closer)
Thanks for the great answers ...

I searched cause Ive never had a Wrangler without manual Hubs. I wasnt sure... Had to laugh, at the , (trick question comment) and its now about Physics and clever play of words..

We dont truly see the rays that heat the Blind mans body nor do we actually hear a tree when it falls silently in the woods.

schaan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
front drive shaft , drive shaft

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.