Can I drive my TJ Without the front driveshaft installed? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Can I drive my TJ Without the front driveshaft installed?

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 04-25-2012, 08:18 PM   #16
iluvcowjuice
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoCole View Post
Does a tree make a sound when it falls in the woods and no one is around?

Yes you can
It doesn't, if there is no one around to interpret the vibrations caused by the tree into sound, they are just vibrations, not sounds.

But you can still drive without a front driveshaft.

iluvcowjuice is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2012, 08:45 PM   #17
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvcowjuice View Post
It doesn't, if there is no one around to interpret the vibrations caused by the tree into sound, they are just vibrations, not sounds.
It does.

Sound is a physical movement, you don't have to hear it for it to exist...
Unread 04-25-2012, 08:55 PM   #18
RaggedOleMan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Of course it makes a sound. The fact that no one is there to hear it, doesn't mean the sound wasn't produced, just that it wasn't heard...even a blind man can feel the heat of the sun...
RaggedOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2012, 09:57 PM   #19
Y1ann188
2003 TJ Wrangler 

one of my buddys in high school kept his front DS out and only put it back in for wheelin trips, he claimed he got better gas mileage, which if i remember right he did... maybe 20-30 miles more a tank? who can remember that far back
'03 TJ 4.0L NV3550 D30/D44 4.5" RE LA 4.56s, TW DS/AA SYE 35" BFG KM2's Bilstien 5150s JCR Offroad Stubby Winch Front Bumper JCR Offroad Rear Bumper BTF Rock Sliders Warn XD9000i KC Lights Kilby Skids
XD9000i FOR SALE === $950 OBO
Y1ann188 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2012, 09:59 PM   #20
sjones26573
Au revoir, gopher.

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Why are people arguing on a dead thread brought back by a smiley?

EDIT: Even if it is about trees (now that I read closer)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson - Top Gear Botswana Special
Why don't all cars have no doors? When I come to power I'm going to make it a rule because this is just better.
sjones26573 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2012, 11:07 PM   #21
dongalonga
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I like trees. They smell nice
dongalonga is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2012, 11:22 PM   #22
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjones26573 View Post
Why are people arguing on a dead thread brought back by a smiley?

EDIT: Even if it is about trees (now that I read closer)
Go back to your corner...
Unread 04-25-2012, 11:59 PM   #23
sjones26573
Au revoir, gopher.

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuckelhead View Post
Go back to your corner...
It's cold over there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson - Top Gear Botswana Special
Why don't all cars have no doors? When I come to power I'm going to make it a rule because this is just better.
sjones26573 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2012, 12:24 AM   #24
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjones26573 View Post
It's cold over there...
Your still in warm company...
Unread 04-26-2012, 12:31 AM   #25
AKGeo
Web Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdm View Post
While it is correct that running with only one of the driveshafts presents no problems with at TJ, your logic is faulty.
Until, I dunno, you start puking atf out of the rear output on a stock slip-yoke 231. But what do I know...apparently I'm not knowledgeable at all about how a transfer case works.
AKGeo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2012, 02:08 AM   #26
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKGeo View Post
Until, I dunno, you start puking atf out of the rear output on a stock slip-yoke 231. But what do I know...apparently I'm not knowledgeable at all about how a transfer case works.
Here is a picture of a 231, now tell us where this leak is gonna come from? Are you thinking the 231 is like a 2wd automatic tranny where the slip yoke actually goes into the tail housing of the tranny?
wushaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2012, 02:15 AM   #27
AKGeo
Web Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

From between the splined output shaft visible in that image and the seal meant to hug the outer spline shaft that's missing. Behind that harmonic dampener (which I don't have, btw) is the seal and bearing. The seal has a gap between its inner diameter and the output shaft, meant to be taken up by the internally splined tube attached to the ujoint yoke on the driveshaft itself. Illustrated in the pictures in this thread:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f37/n...eak-fix-82091/

It's a different tailshaft housing, but the idea is still the same. What you see there isn't completely sealed. Prove me wrong. It's entirely possible. But I don't think so. It's entirely possible that the design changed to remove that tailshaft and place the seal directly into the speedo sensor housing seen behind the harmonic dampener, and that's what I learned way back in the day. The old style cases WILL leak oil through the bearing and those splines. Quite possible that it won't leak from the newer style. Meh.
AKGeo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2012, 02:24 AM   #28
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wushaw View Post
Here is a picture of a 231, now tell us where this leak is gonna come from? Are you thinking the 231 is like a 2wd automatic tranny where the slip yoke actually goes into the tail housing of the tranny?
Wait for it, keep in mind that TJ NP231's don't leak fluid when the slip yoke is removed...
Unread 04-26-2012, 03:17 AM   #29
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
From between the splined output shaft visible in that image and the seal meant to hug the outer spline shaft that's missing. Behind that harmonic dampener (which I don't have, btw) is the seal and bearing. The seal has a gap between its inner diameter and the output shaft, meant to be taken up by the internally splined tube attached to the ujoint yoke on the driveshaft itself. Illustrated in the pictures in this thread:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f37/n...eak-fix-82091/

It's a different tailshaft housing, but the idea is still the same. What you see there isn't completely sealed. Prove me wrong. It's entirely possible. But I don't think so. It's entirely possible that the design changed to remove that tailshaft and place the seal directly into the speedo sensor housing seen behind the harmonic dampener, and that's what I learned way back in the day. The old style cases WILL leak oil through the bearing and those splines. Quite possible that it won't leak from the newer style. Meh.
Ok,
look at fig 3, where is the seal? Is the accordion boot the seal?
Fig 5 shows the seal.
http://www.4xshaft.com/np231shortsha...dyokekitv2.pdf
wushaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2012, 05:17 AM   #30
mdm
Farm Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
...that's what I learned way back in the day. The old style cases WILL leak oil through the bearing and those splines. Quite possible that it won't leak from the newer style. Meh.
The problem is that we are talking about the TJ transfer case and not the one you learned about "back in the day". There was a time when just about every time an airplane landed the mechanic would need to replace at least one of the cylinders. When was the last time you saw that happening on the plane sitting at the gate waiting to board passengers?

"Back in the day" makes for fond memories that too often don't apply to today.

Tags
front drive shaft , drive shaft

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.