Can I drill holes in my frame to raise my rock sliders up 1" - JeepForum.com
 5Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 06-16-2017, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
Fargo
Registered User
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Fargo, ND
Posts: 3,110
Can I drill holes in my frame to raise my rock sliders up 1"

Years ago I purchased Jeeperman rock sliderz. I later installed a body lift. So now my sliderz sit 1" lower than the body. Can I just drill a couple holes in my frame to raise my sliderz 1" higher. My concern is that I will loose frame strength if I drill a bunch of holes in the sides of the frame. My other concern is those holes are another place for rust to from. But my biggest concern is the lose of strength to the frame.


2005 Rubicon Unlimited Sahara Limited Edition #41
6spd manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
...there's very little that is more permanent than a temporary solution
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oman Jeep
Go with quality and cry once. Go cheap and cry often. Take your pick ;)
LJ Owners Group member #110
Fargo is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 17 Old 06-16-2017, 12:39 PM
elpaisa
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 50
Of course you can. The Mfg. However is going to recommend against doing so. And if you do drill holes just rattle can the exposed metal

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
elpaisa is offline  
post #3 of 17 Old 06-16-2017, 02:41 PM
Shark_13
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Post falls
Posts: 1,270
There are a ton of holes in the frame already. Drilling a couple more won't hurt anything.
Let's wait for the other guys to chime in against drilling holes
Shark_13 is offline  
 
post #4 of 17 Old 06-16-2017, 02:47 PM
TJnBC
Registered User
2006 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,414
It wont hurt. Just be sure to try and paint the holes afterwards.

2006 LJR...the madness begins again
TJnBC is offline  
post #5 of 17 Old 06-16-2017, 03:29 PM
biffgnar
Moderator
 
biffgnar's Avatar
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Westchester, NY
Posts: 23,469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark_13 View Post
Let's wait for the other guys to chime in against drilling holes
IMO the real issue is frame v. tub mounted sliders. Once you are committed to frame mounted (as OP obviously is), do whatever you want.
biffgnar is offline  
post #6 of 17 Old 06-16-2017, 05:00 PM
Gary2
Registered User
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Jersey Shore
Posts: 2,755
I had read some place where there was a minimum distance from the edge for drilling in the frame. May be more to it than we think. You may want to research that some.
Gary2 is offline  
post #7 of 17 Old 06-16-2017, 05:17 PM
Dodger60
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Greater Sudbury
Posts: 34
Holes in structural metal parts should be as a rule of thumb 1.5 times diameter away from the edge..that is center of hole to edge.
On the frame you have a formed radius 'corner' you don't want to infringe upon either.
Yeah I am a mechanical designer so I run into these issues regularly.
A round hole in a frame member won't weaken it if you're not to close the edge. Far enough away and it makes nearly zero impact..too many holes too large and then​ you have issues!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Shark_13 likes this.
Dodger60 is offline  
post #8 of 17 Old 06-17-2017, 01:13 AM Thread Starter
Fargo
Registered User
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Fargo, ND
Posts: 3,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodger60 View Post
Holes in structural metal parts should be as a rule of thumb 1.5 times diameter away from the edge..that is center of hole to edge.
On the frame you have a formed radius 'corner' you don't want to infringe upon either.
Yeah I am a mechanical designer so I run into these issues regularly.
A round hole in a frame member won't weaken it if you're not to close the edge. Far enough away and it makes nearly zero impact..too many holes too large and then​ you have issues!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Wow great info. Thank you.

Justs to be clear. You said 1.5 times the hole diameter to the edge measured on center correct? So a 1" hole measured on center would be drilled 1 1/2" away from the edge? Thus putting the edge of the hole 1" away from the edge of the material?
Dodger60 likes this.

2005 Rubicon Unlimited Sahara Limited Edition #41
6spd manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
...there's very little that is more permanent than a temporary solution
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oman Jeep
Go with quality and cry once. Go cheap and cry often. Take your pick ;)
LJ Owners Group member #110
Fargo is offline  
post #9 of 17 Old 06-17-2017, 01:54 AM
1badxj
Registered User
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: north mississippi
Posts: 835
Did it for mine.........the sliders i had custom built attach to the frame in three points and bolted with two 1/2in grade 8bolts each.
Attached Thumbnails
20170608_200618.jpg   20170608_200338.jpg  

2005 Rubihara #111 of 1000 (for sale:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
1badxj is offline  
post #10 of 17 Old 06-17-2017, 06:44 AM
Dodger60
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Greater Sudbury
Posts: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargo View Post
Wow great info. Thank you.

Justs to be clear. You said 1.5 times the hole diameter to the edge measured on center correct? So a 1" hole measured on center would be drilled 1 1/2" away from the edge? Thus putting the edge of the hole 1" away from the edge of the material?
Yes but hopefully you aren't using 1" bolts!
There is a maximum amount of removed material as well but that is more complicated...

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Dodger60 is offline  
post #11 of 17 Old 06-17-2017, 11:56 AM
freeskier93
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Littleton
Posts: 7,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodger60 View Post
Holes in structural metal parts should be as a rule of thumb 1.5 times diameter away from the edge..that is center of hole to edge.
On the frame you have a formed radius 'corner' you don't want to infringe upon either.
Yeah I am a mechanical designer so I run into these issues regularly.
A round hole in a frame member won't weaken it if you're not to close the edge. Far enough away and it makes nearly zero impact..too many holes too large and then​ you have issues!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
There are quite a few holes from the factory that violate your rule.
Dodger60 likes this.
freeskier93 is offline  
post #12 of 17 Old 06-17-2017, 09:02 PM
Dodger60
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Greater Sudbury
Posts: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by freeskier93 View Post
There are quite a few holes from the factory that violate your rule.
LOL.. exceptions that prove the rule!
I have had engineers approve structure that breaks the rule and make me change ones that follow it..it's a rule of thumb not a hard rule of design..one if the reasons I love what I do!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Dodger60 is offline  
post #13 of 17 Old 06-17-2017, 10:05 PM
JeepnBlake
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Lincoln Nebraska
Posts: 3,307
If the second set of holes really bother you that much just weld them shut. My $0.02

-Blake-

Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Dad's Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

OEM Fog Light Connectors, Conversions, and Extension Info:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
JeepnBlake is offline  
post #14 of 17 Old 06-19-2017, 11:57 AM Thread Starter
Fargo
Registered User
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Fargo, ND
Posts: 3,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodger60 View Post
Yes but hopefully you aren't using 1" bolts!
There is a maximum amount of removed material as well but that is more complicated...

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
LOL - No not using 1" bolts. It was just easy math for the example. I would use the bolts Jeeperman sent with the sliders. They are about 3/8".

Thank you 1badx for the pictures. It gave me another idea. My mounting plats run veritcle to bolt around the frame. I like how yours run more horizontal. That would make it easier if I dicide to bolt through the frame directly as you did.

I did come up with another idea this weekend on how I might be able to modify the slider and keep the the original frame mounted system. So I know how 2 new ideas. I'll ponder over them and see what I come up with. Thanks for all the help guys.
Dodger60 likes this.

2005 Rubicon Unlimited Sahara Limited Edition #41
6spd manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
...there's very little that is more permanent than a temporary solution
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oman Jeep
Go with quality and cry once. Go cheap and cry often. Take your pick ;)
LJ Owners Group member #110
Fargo is offline  
post #15 of 17 Old 06-19-2017, 12:38 PM
Dodger60
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Greater Sudbury
Posts: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargo View Post
LOL - No not using 1" bolts. It was just easy math for the example. I would use the bolts Jeeperman sent with the sliders. They are about 3/8".

Thank you 1badx for the pictures. It gave me another idea. My mounting plats run veritcle to bolt around the frame. I like how yours run more horizontal. That would make it easier if I dicide to bolt through the frame directly as you did.

I did come up with another idea this weekend on how I might be able to modify the slider and keep the the original frame mounted system. So I know how 2 new ideas. I'll ponder over them and see what I come up with. Thanks for all the help guys.
That's good to ponder to find the best way for you and your abilities/equipment...
Keep us updated??

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Dodger60 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome