Can I convert my intank fuel pump to an inline system - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Can I convert my intank fuel pump to an inline system

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 04-10-2011, 11:05 AM   #1
towerace81
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Can I convert my intank fuel pump to an inline system

I am currently reeking of gasoline do to the fact that I am in the middle of replacing my second intank fuel pump in as many years. The only plusses so far is the tank only had 4 gallons in it, and I am getting pretty good at doing the removal by my self in the driveway. I would like to know if I could convert my fuel system to an inline pump and filter.

towerace81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2011, 11:44 AM   #2
Jeepsr4me

Yes you can,. Gut the pump out of the tank and use a section of hose to make up the difference to the little bag filter in there. I did this years ago so I can not remember exactly what I did. then just run the pump just up from the filter near the rear axle. Used same wiring and everything.
Jeepsr4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2011, 08:01 PM   #3
towerace81
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the good idea Jeepsr4me. I went another route though. I cut out a section of the floor pan centered over the in-tank fuel pump. Added some tabs to the sides of the opening so that the removed section can be replaced with self-tappers and a bed of silicon. Just lay the carpet back down and you never even know its there. removable cover is super handy and made fuel pump install a breeze. I wont say never, but i shouldn't have to remove the tank again. It looks a little sloppy, but at the end of the day you cant see it under the carpet.

Last edited by towerace81; 04-10-2011 at 08:02 PM.. Reason: left out a couple of words
Unread 04-10-2011, 09:24 PM   #4
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by towerace81 View Post
I am currently reeking of gasoline do to the fact that I am in the middle of replacing my second intank fuel pump in as many years. The only plusses so far is the tank only had 4 gallons in it, and I am getting pretty good at doing the removal by my self in the driveway. I would like to know if I could convert my fuel system to an inline pump and filter.
Stop buying fuel pumps at advance auto/autozone and you will not have that issue anymore.Buy only OE fuel pumps,there worth the extra cost.

For doing a inline pump you will need one that has the same psi and flow rate as OE or you could run into some fuel issues and a Jeep that doesn't run for s**t.
Unread 04-10-2011, 11:39 PM   #5
towerace81
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post
Stop buying fuel pumps at advance auto/autozone and you will not have that issue anymore.Buy only OE fuel pumps,there worth the extra cost.

For doing a inline pump you will need one that has the same psi and flow rate as OE or you could run into some fuel issues and a Jeep that doesn't run for s**t.
Thanks for the advice tjkj2002. you get what you pay for as usual. This pump came from napa, so i probably payed about the same as if I had gone to the dealership, but I got a half *** pump. Lesson learned!
Unread 04-11-2011, 12:03 AM   #6
VMI Jeeper
2004 TJ Wrangler 

For what it's worth towerace, you can actually get some OEM parts from Advance Auto. They don't have every OEM part, and I'm not sure how they compare price wise, but it could be worth it to check it out.
VMI Jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2011, 01:22 AM   #7
towerace81
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the tip VMI Jeeper, I was already broke before I got into this project and now my wallet wont even come out of my pocket.
Unread 04-15-2011, 01:08 AM   #8
towerace81
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the help guy, got it running yesterday. I went with tjkj2002's advice, and shelled out $348.52 for a module from the local Dodge, chrysler, Jeep dealer. The good news is my dad has a friend that got me $135 off. That module would have been $485 after tax.
Unread 04-15-2011, 01:16 AM   #9
foxmb87
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by towerace81 View Post
Thanks for the good idea Jeepsr4me. I went another route though. I cut out a section of the floor pan centered over the in-tank fuel pump. Added some tabs to the sides of the opening so that the removed section can be replaced with self-tappers and a bed of silicon. Just lay the carpet back down and you never even know its there. removable cover is super handy and made fuel pump install a breeze. I wont say never, but i shouldn't have to remove the tank again. It looks a little sloppy, but at the end of the day you cant see it under the carpet.
The old trap door method can't beat it. I do in just about every camaro Ive had to replace a fuel pump on since you have to drop the axle, muffler and fight to get the tank out. Its so much easier to take a air chiesel with a metal cutting tool and cut an acess panel and you'll never know its there since it hides under the carpet.
foxmb87 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.