Can Dana 44 handle 37's... - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Can Dana 44 handle 37's...

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 10-05-2011, 03:33 PM   #61
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

if you're going to replace the axles you should consider putting a rock jock in the rear, its extremely affordable if you consider what you're getting and how much you'll pay to get JK44's and get them up to spec.

My builds: Bruiser and The Grey

|Forge Overland| or follow us on Facebook
spyder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2011, 07:08 PM   #62
jeepl!fe
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder6 View Post
if you're going to replace the axles you should consider putting a rock jock in the rear, its extremely affordable if you consider what you're getting and how much you'll pay to get JK44's and get them up to spec.
well i looked into the rock jock and its a good deal i might do but im trying to keep the front and rear axle swap under 4k. i can get front and rear jk axles for 3k but 1k for brackets kind of kills the deal.

would it be more important to have a d60 rear or could i use the stock d44 rear with chromo shafts and a after market d44 front?
jeepl!fe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2011, 07:31 PM   #63
dkrajcovic
1998 TJ Wrangler 

i would upgrade the shafts front & rear & also do the Dana 30/44 Bombshell Kit
http://www.polyperformance.com/shop/...t-p-28744.html
& you will be fine with a dana 44 & 37s
dkrajcovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2011, 07:44 PM   #64
jeepl!fe
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkrajcovic View Post
i would upgrade the shafts front & rear & also do the Dana 30/44 Bombshell Kit
http://www.polyperformance.com/shop/...t-p-28744.html
& you will be fine with a dana 44 & 37s
hmmm thats a much cheaper alternative, any other views on this?
jeepl!fe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2011, 08:12 PM   #65
UTWeezul
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYuen View Post
How bout 38s on a good 'ole D30? This guy had a nice D60 rear axle, but had a D30 up front with a sleeved OEM tie rod and regular drag link. Stock brakes too IIRC. Let me tell you he was REALLY soft on the skinny. Never gave it any gas ever. Rightly so as if he did, his front axle would blow up. It was stormy that day and all the rain made the trails twice as slick. That said, he never needed to winch the entire day and out wheeled me (at the time with 33s) and the Rubi JK behind me on 37s. I think the D30 was just temporary until he could get something better (or at least I hope so).

4 Door JK Rubi on 37s
Four Fingers hates my Jeep. Last time on that trail the rock slab gave me trouble and ended up cracking a fuel line and bending a rear axle shaft. This also might have been when the Detroit in my 8.8 broke...

Needless to say, I'll be there in a few weeks to run it all over again!
PSC full corners and modded 3" flares
4.56s, Aussie front and Detroit rear
Building a HP30...
UTWeezul is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2011, 09:07 PM   #66
alex211
1995 XJ Cherokee 

I'm planning on running 37x12.5-15s iroks on my rubi 44s in the next year or two. I plan on doing 5.13 gears, detroit in the back, aftermarket shafts, and better brakes as well.

Anyone have any detailed info on how to gusset the inner Cs? Mine are already a little tweaked and I have no doubts that 37s would destroy them.
Unread 10-05-2011, 09:32 PM   #67
lancetkenyon
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I did not read through this entire thred, but I will give my opinion and personal experience.

I ran 37s on a set of D44s (stock 01 TJ D44 rear with 30 spline Alloy USA shafts, 5.89 gears, spool, T&A cradle diff cover, carrier studs and nuts, and swapped in Rubi D44 front with 30 spline Alloy USA inner/outer/unit bearings with Yukon Super Joints, Detroit, 5.89 gears, Dynatrac diff cover). I ran 37-12.50-15 Maxxis Creepy Crawlers for about 3 years, and then 37-13.50-17 Mickey Thompson Comp Claws for about 3 years.

The front: I had no problems with the front for those 6 years, about 500 trails ranging from 3.5 to 5.0, and it is still running strong in a friends rig with 35s. I only had to change out the Yukon Super Joint caps once. Ball joints held up fine, axle tubes held up too.

The rear: Bit of a different story. It held up with the Maxxis Creepies fine. Once I went to 37" stickies is when I started have issues. In those 3 years, I blew up 2 sets of R&P, and grenaded 2 30 spline Alloy USA shafts. The last time I blew it up, I replaced the parts and built a D60.

So, my opinion would be.....with DOT 37" tires, yes, the D44s can handle them quite well. With 37" stickies, no way for a rear axle, even with 33 or 35 spline chromo shafts. The front should be fine with all the upgrades possible. But you need to go deep with the gears with 37s.

Tags
d44 , dana 44 , 37 , tires , strength

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.