Can Dana 44 handle 37's... - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Can Dana 44 handle 37's...

Trick Tabs - NalinMFG.comWarn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCORClayton Off Road XJ Long Arm Suspension Systems!

Unread 10-04-2011, 06:09 PM   #46
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

Quote:
Originally Posted by coneal30 View Post
oh and also, its of my opinion that you will pop that 1310 or 1350 u-joint long before you pop the axle. another 2 cents, so thats 4
99.9% of the time, the breaking of the joint destroys the yoke, thus requiring the replacement of the axle shaft. just sayin.

My builds: Bruiser and The Grey

|Forge Overland| or follow us on Facebook
spyder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2011, 07:46 PM   #47
jeepl!fe
2006 LJ Wrangler 

man im so glad this thread actually had valuable info, normally when i click on any thread regarding a 37" tire its normally 50 comments saying "search" or "you dont need 37s". so thank you guys for actually talking about it!

ive been trying to decide what to do to run 37's on an LJ. with a d30 front and d44 rear would upgraded to a tj rubi d44 front be good? or would i need to throw a 8.8 in the rear? my other option is jk rubi axles. $3000 shipped is the cost for the JK axles though and the mounting brackets i have seen range from $500-$1000.

so with that said what axle setup would you guys do? i wont be doing any rock crawling just some medium trails at uwharrie and just some other easy stuff.

again, thanks for the valuable info in this thread!
jeepl!fe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2011, 08:04 PM   #48
NotURMailman
2005 TJ Wrangler 

If you're going to be wheeling exclusively at Uwharrie you will get bored really fast on 37s. If that is your sole stomping grounds, save yourself some money and stay on 33s.

I drive on the right side, what's wrong with you?

Quote:
Be very careful with the wife mod. Uninstallation can be extremely expensive. Wife mods have been known to take the Jeep and all other mods during the uninstall process. Also, make sure you service your wife mod properly as often as humanly possible. Wife mods not properly serviced may malfunction or uninstall themselves at any time.
NotURMailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2011, 06:49 AM   #49
loaderopp
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Myself and 5 others in our group are all running 37's on our LJ's all are Rubicons. And all but myself are running stock shafts. Mine tossed a u-joint cap and broke the stub shaft and beat the H*** out of the short side yoke at highway speeds. So i up graded to RCV D44 axle shafts.

We have pretty much a mud up to the windows or Rock and a lot of both on every trip. at least 1 a month, and if the stars line up right we get in 2 trips. and there is a ton of taunting to challenge each other to the extreme. with no problems. There are ways to add strength to the axles if needed for your type of wheeling. But i would not worrie about it. Under the right cirumstances anything will break.
2005 Rubicon Unlimited, 5.5 inch custom long arm, 1 inch daystar body lift, River Raider Snorkel, Custom bumper/winch mount, sliders, tire carrier. 37x13.50 R17 Nitto Mudgraplers, Bushwacker flat fender. Custom 1/2 cab. Hyline hood vents. Custom tonnue cover and tool box. HID-X off road lights, LED driving lights custom rear bumper/m6000 rear monted winch.
loaderopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2011, 07:25 AM   #50
Jankoid
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotURMailman View Post
If you're going to be wheeling exclusively at Uwharrie you will get bored really fast on 37s. If that is your sole stomping grounds, save yourself some money and stay on 33s.
I second that. Anyone that needs more than 33s at URE is doing something wrong. URE gets boring quick for overbuilt rigs.
Jankoid is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2011, 10:56 AM   #51
MisfitSeven
MAIL Crawler.

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder6 View Post
99.9% of the time, the breaking of the joint destroys the yoke, thus requiring the replacement of the axle shaft. just sayin.
1310 and 1350 are drive shaft u joints.
Unread 10-05-2011, 11:04 AM   #52
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepl!fe View Post
man im so glad this thread actually had valuable info, normally when i click on any thread regarding a 37" tire its normally 50 comments saying "search" or "you dont need 37s". so thank you guys for actually talking about it!

ive been trying to decide what to do to run 37's on an LJ. with a d30 front and d44 rear would upgraded to a tj rubi d44 front be good?
Nope, a D30 is not up to 37" tires and it can't be made suitable for 37" tires, not even with a Super 30 kit. Besides, even the rear Dana 44 is not really up to 37" tires either. Those axles should really be limited to 35" and even then with caveats.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2011, 11:37 AM   #53
VillageIdiot
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I am late to this thread, but have been running 37" MTR's on the stock TJ Rubicon D44 front and rear, with Superior chrome moly shafts with no issues so far. The degree of abuse includes Pritchett Canyon, Behind the Rocks, Rubicon Trail. Nothing's broken so far, not to say it never will, but so far perfect and axle tubes haven't bent. I'm using 4:88 gears right now, somebody told me if I go higher than 4:88 the pinion gear gets too weak? Anybody know anything about that?

Conventional wisdom seems to be to limit the D44's to 35" tires, and I am not here to disagree. I guess I'll be the guinea pig, I'll be sure to post up if I break anything. I have no shame. So far I have just the one season on the 37's.
VillageIdiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2011, 11:42 AM   #54
larubie
2004 TJ Wrangler 

So far my D44 on the said Rubicon with stock axles are doing fine with 35's. However, I do not trash on my rig. The last upgrade I did was front and rear truss and will upgrade axles soon with a PSC kit. Then I will probably go 37's and see what happens. I feel good about the axles and like loaderopp said "Under the right cirumstances anything will break"
Unread 10-05-2011, 12:58 PM   #55
newracer
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Ran 36s for 5 years on HP D44 front and a D44 rear, both have cromo shafts, no issues at all. Just went to 37s a few weeks ago.
newracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2011, 01:02 PM   #56
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

I'd run sticky 35s before I'd run 37s again. No issues when I ran them though.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

My builds: Bruiser and The Grey

|Forge Overland| or follow us on Facebook
spyder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2011, 01:19 PM   #57
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VillageIdiot View Post
I am late to this thread, but have been running 37" MTR's on the stock TJ Rubicon D44 front and rear, with Superior chrome moly shafts with no issues so far. The degree of abuse includes Pritchett Canyon, Behind the Rocks, Rubicon Trail. Nothing's broken so far, not to say it never will, but so far perfect and axle tubes haven't bent. I'm using 4:88 gears right now, somebody told me if I go higher than 4:88 the pinion gear gets too weak? Anybody know anything about that?

Conventional wisdom seems to be to limit the D44's to 35" tires, and I am not here to disagree. I guess I'll be the guinea pig, I'll be sure to post up if I break anything. I have no shame. So far I have just the one season on the 37's.
To put one aspect of your trail usage in some sort of perspective, if you consider the average trail than can be run day in and day out on 35's in JV on a 10 scale as being a 10, the Rubicon would rate about a 4 or 5 if you avoid Little Sluice.
Unread 10-05-2011, 02:11 PM   #58
REDLYNER
Mall Crawling Race Rig

2000 TJ Wrangler 

My opinion, if you over build a Rubi 44 axle, you can wheel them on 37"s. But keep in mind, you are absolutely maxing out that axle. This leaves very little room to be aggressive with them, which at the end of the day, will limit what you can do on the trail.

I have been running some of the heaviest 37"s you can buy on built Rubi 44 axles over the past 2 1/2 years and here is what I have experienced- In about 45 trail runs and 1 off-road endurance race on 37" Pitbull Rockers and Rubi 44's, I have broken:
  • One set of Alloy USA 4.88 ring and pinion
  • Two lower control arm mounts
  • One upper control arm mount
  • ARB copper air line (probably not the fault of the tires)
  • Rear shock mount
  • Two broken stock axle shafts
  • Three broken wheel studs
  • Two bent rear Alloy USA axle shafts
  • Two Timkin hubs

Mine are about as built as I could get them:

Front Rubi 44:
  • Nitro Super 44 Kit (30 spline shafts)
  • Alloy USA 4.88s
  • ARB
  • Gusseted outer C's
  • Genright control arm mounts
  • Currie HD steering system
  • Vanco big brake kit

Rear Rubi 44:
  • Alloy USA 30 spline shafts
  • Alloy USA 4.88s
  • ARB
  • Clayton 4 link truss

I would love to have some Spider 9's, but until I can afford some true race axles, I will continue to use these. But I go into the rocks knowing that I can't sit there on the gas spinning, sliding, and bouncing. They are not perfect, but built up, would work for most wheelers I would assume.

Only obstacle in Uwharrie (from 2 or 3 weeks ago):

From the race:

REDLYNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2011, 02:12 PM   #59
VillageIdiot
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
the Rubicon would rate about a 4 or 5 if you avoid Little Sluice.
I believe you are correct, Mr. B. And I have not had the pleasure yet, of wheeling in Johnson Valley.
VillageIdiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2011, 02:21 PM   #60
jeepl!fe
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotURMailman View Post
i know you can do it with 33s but im not building my jeep just for uwharrie. i am doing a lcg build with highline and would just like to run a 37" tire if possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
Nope, a D30 is not up to 37" tires and it can't be made suitable for 37" tires, not even with a Super 30 kit. Besides, even the rear Dana 44 is not really up to 37" tires either. Those axles should really be limited to 35" and even then with caveats.
sorry i didnt really make myself clear, i was asking if a rubi d44 front and a stock d44 rear would be substantial enough. looks like others have said the rubi axles can deal with 37s if you wheel it right and im no hardcore offroader. im still contemplating on the jk d44's though
jeepl!fe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
d44 , dana 44 , 37 , tires , strength

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.