Can Dana 44 handle 37's... - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Can Dana 44 handle 37's...

HELLA FF75 12V 55W H7 Fog Lamps - SPECIAL OVERSTOCK SALE FBaseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiJeep Gear & Install Packages!

Unread 08-03-2010, 11:26 AM   #31
solarpower
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
Depending on the tire, it's traction. I've measured the footprint of an aired down 37" MT/R and it was 16" long. That's just a lot of grip.
And it has always been my experience/opinion that the age old question "what axle can handle what tire" has always been more specific to EXACTLY WHAT TIRE...and how it is driven.

I know guys that could run 39 inch BFG mall terrains on a D35 because they never do anything with them.

Unread 08-03-2010, 11:29 AM   #32
Jetscuh
O rly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelin98TJ View Post
That might have been me.

I have pointed that out to a few people lately who are considering a new D44.
Well, my boyfriend initially pointed it out to me and you might have mentioned it as well. Damn men, such enablers.
Jetscuh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2010, 11:37 AM   #33
Apex
Recon death squad

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
The front tubes are the same as a TJ only longer and with more rigid control arm mounts on them. Balljoints are about the same, Inner C is stronger in some aspects, weaker in others.

All in all, outside of the the HP Dana 44 center section, it's a ho hum axle.
Everything I've found and from what I have seen (albeit I have never measured) The JK44 axle tubes are larger than the TJ tubes.

Also, isn't it 32 spline shafts, stock?

Current vehicles: 06 F250 Superduty - 6.0L PSD Straight piped and tuned
03 CBR600RR -1 +2, Yoshi'd & Battlaxed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bddisi View Post
Finesse in crawling looks way cooler than momentum.
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2010, 12:17 PM   #34
BYuen
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex View Post
Everything I've found and from what I have seen (albeit I have never measured) The JK44 axle tubes are larger than the TJ tubes.

I dunno bout the tubes, but as far as the 32 splines go those are only in the rear JK Rubicon D44s. The front 44s are regular 30 spline.
BYuen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2010, 12:23 PM   #35
Apex
Recon death squad

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYuen View Post
I dunno bout the tubes, but as far as the 32 splines go those are only in the rear JK Rubicon D44s. The front 44s are regular 30 spline.
Fair enough.

Quote:
Unread 08-03-2010, 12:33 PM   #36
BYuen
2001 TJ Wrangler 

How bout 38s on a good 'ole D30? This guy had a nice D60 rear axle, but had a D30 up front with a sleeved OEM tie rod and regular drag link. Stock brakes too IIRC. Let me tell you he was REALLY soft on the skinny. Never gave it any gas ever. Rightly so as if he did, his front axle would blow up. It was stormy that day and all the rain made the trails twice as slick. That said, he never needed to winch the entire day and out wheeled me (at the time with 33s) and the Rubi JK behind me on 37s. I think the D30 was just temporary until he could get something better (or at least I hope so).

4 Door JK Rubi on 37s
BYuen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2010, 02:47 PM   #37
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

The front is identical in size, I have both sitting next to each other and I have both that have been cut up and just the tubes laying there with the inner C's and brackets.

Once again, they are the same tube diameter and wall thickness.

The rear axle is larger in tube diameter, axle size and axle spline count.
Unread 08-03-2010, 03:07 PM   #38
b0bbymc
2006 LJ Wrangler 

2003-2006 Rubicon front D44's are weak and will not hold up to much abuse on 37s or larger. It all depends on the driver though. I plan on going with the (TJ width) Dynatrac Trail Series front high pinion "new generation D44". They claim it's stronger than 2006 and older rubicon front D44's.

JP magazine claims it is here...
Weakest to Strongest Axles - Jp Magazine

Dynatrac claims it is here...
http://www.dynatrac.com/images/pdf/New_Gen_D44_comparison_chart.pdf

The way i see it the front rubi D44 needs to be replaced first and Im not gonna have the $ to swap both axles at the same time. So i hope to get the "new gen HP D44" (w/ bigger brakes) first and step up to 37s-38s. That way both axles sorta match and i dont have a super strong D60 up front with a weaker D44 in the rear. Then swap in a D60 rearend later when i have the $ and step up to 39s-40s... I would stick to 35s until u got the $ to drop on new axles cuz its gonna get expensive.

Last edited by b0bbymc; 08-03-2010 at 03:22 PM..
b0bbymc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2010, 03:41 PM   #39
Apex
Recon death squad

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
The front is identical in size, I have both sitting next to each other and I have both that have been cut up and just the tubes laying there with the inner C's and brackets.

Once again, they are the same tube diameter and wall thickness.

The rear axle is larger in tube diameter, axle size and axle spline count.
Got ya, I'm getting my info from the rear axles I have had my hands on. Thanks for clarifying.

Quote:
Unread 08-03-2010, 03:55 PM   #40
DBLJ
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0bbymc View Post
2003-2006 Rubicon front D44's are weak and will not hold up to much abuse on 37s or larger. It all depends on the driver though. I plan on going with the (TJ width) Dynatrac Trail Series front high pinion "new generation D44". They claim it's stronger than 2006 and older rubicon front D44's.

The way i see it the front rubi D44 needs to be replaced first and Im not gonna have the $ to swap both axles at the same time. So i hope to get the "new gen HP D44" (w/ bigger brakes) first and step up to 37s-38s. That way both axles sorta match and i dont have a super strong D60 up front with a weaker D44 in the rear. Then swap in a D60 rearend later when i have the $ and step up to 39s-40s... I would stick to 35s until u got the $ to drop on new axles cuz its gonna get expensive.
Can I have some extra money? I wouldnt even waste the time to swap in another 44 in the front. Just get the 60 for the front. The rear wont have any problem with 37's if you upgrade it.
DBLJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2010, 05:03 PM   #41
jeepinmichguy_
I haz ah Geep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
Jeepinmichguy is a jerk.
Quote:
How about this, if you had the Jeep Spirit, you wouldn't abuse the rest of us trying to enjoy a nice day out wheeling by bringing your brokeass broken down junkyard crap out to play where it can't handle it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepForum123 View Post
you all have nice rigs, stop being f****** a**holes.
jeepinmichguy_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2010, 05:09 PM   #42
superdave624
2013 JK Wrangler 

Coming from a former Rubicon owner

Yes the Dana 44 will handle a 37" tire. I ran 37x12.50x15 Super Swamper TSL Radials. I never had a problem, and I never changed the gearing either. That being said I worked with 7 miles of where I lived and it never saw the highway but it did see the trails as well.
superdave624 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2010, 05:10 PM   #43
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

The Trail Series 44 from Dynatrac is about $5,000, isn't it?

Poly Performance JEEP/TRUCK & BUGGY*::*Axles, CV & Accessories*::*Dynatrac*::*Dynatrac Trail-Series 44 Front Axle for Jeep YJ, TJ, JK - 4x4 Off-Road, JK Synergy Suspension Systems, Fox Racing Shox, Beard, CNC Brakes, Johnny JointsŪ, Currie Enterprise

Or you can get a Rock Jock 60 for about the same price, and in some cases it comes with steering, a track bar, and a track bar brace.

The Dynatrac Trail Series uses stock knuckles, outers, and brakes according to the link above at Poly Performance.

Some of the Rock Jock axles use stock outers, but some of them also use 1 ton knuckles and JK brakes. You just have to read the description and double check the part number.
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2010, 08:33 AM   #44
never monday
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYuen View Post
front tubes are the same as TJ.
All JK front outers 30 or 44 are 32 spline. JK30 inners are 27 spline. JK44 inners are 30 or 32 spline IIRC, it's 30.
Unread 10-04-2011, 06:25 PM   #45
coneal30
1990 YJ Wrangler 

so after all the reading ive been doing on multiple forums and talking with members of multiple Jeep clubs, if youre going to break a D44 with chromo shafts, you will break the D60 too. If you break a D60 with chromo shafts, buy a tractor. Wheel, have fun, but dont be an idiot. thats what i get out of all this. sure you will hear people all day tell you " Oh you need the biggest baddest blah blah blah, but the truth is, even if you have the biggest and baddest axles on the planet... you can still break them. If you wheel smart an upgraded D44 with 37's will handle 99% of what you throw at it. that 1% would have most likely broken a d60 too. overkill is not always the answer, sometimes common sense plays a part. Me, Im going with a ford 8.8 rear and D44 front, upgraded with chromo shafts and 37's. i bet you 2 years from now i will tell you a lot more stories about how much fun i had and the obstacles i cleared than horror stories of axles ive broken. just my 2 cents.

oh and also, its of my opinion that you will pop that 1310 or 1350 u-joint long before you pop the axle. another 2 cents, so thats 4
coneal30 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
d44 , dana 44 , 37 , tires , strength

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.