JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   TJ Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/)
-   -   Can Dana 44 handle 37's... (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/can-dana-44-handle-37s-1081619/)

larubie 08-02-2010 07:25 PM

Can Dana 44 handle 37's...
 
Can the TJ Rubicon Dana 44's handle 37" tires? I have heard the so many yes and no's that I am confused. I am planning to upgrade the axles and gears, but does this make sense by keeping a weak link (Dana 44) or just go for the Dana 60? Lets hear from those that have them and know... Thanks guys

DBLJ 08-02-2010 07:31 PM

It depends on how you drive. If you really like to pound the skinny pedel when you dont need it then no they wont.

AFjeepMan 08-02-2010 07:31 PM

The Dana 44 can handle 37's especially if you upgrade to 33 spline axles. I have seen it done several times and the 33 spline axle shafts are quite strong indeed!

Recoil 08-02-2010 07:32 PM

I tried this exact kind of thread recently and got no where. Just a bunch of "heres what I heard or read on jeep forum" regurgitated. I know three guys running 37s now on there 44s and Im watching closely to see what wears out.

dirtycruiser 08-02-2010 07:49 PM

The Dana 44's will work IF you upgrade the gears in them to 5:13's or better. If your putting 37's on there you might also want to sleeve the front axles to help prevent bending. If their stock Dana 44's your not gonna do any serious off roading without breakage. If your a mall crawler with occasional trail riding you should be fine. If you can afford the Dana 60's and your gonna be playin seriously off road, do it! You'll be really glad you did!
Here's how I look at it, The Dana 44's JEEP puts in there is the cheapest quality axle in the 44 line. It ain't gonna last for serious off roading without reinforcing it internally or externally. Keep spare parts in your inventory.....

larubie 08-02-2010 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Recoil (Post 9893883)
I tried this exact kind of thread recently and got no where. Just a bunch of "heres what I heard or read on jeep forum" regurgitated. I know three guys running 37s now on there 44s and Im watching closely to see what wears out.

I totally agree! That is why I am asking those that are doing it, have done it, and/or those that would never do it because... However, I am looking for hard evidence.

I do not plan to do any hard core rock climbing. Not into beating my rig to bits after spending so much to build it. It will see some trail riding (no big rocks in Louisiana) that are challenging, but not extreme in any way. I take my kids out so I just would rather not like to break the axles in the woods if that could have been avoidable from the start.

Apex 08-02-2010 07:57 PM

I wouldn't go to a D60 to run 37s. A D44 with 33 spline chromo shafts will hold 37s. I wouldn't be worried about it.

GOLENJEEPTJ 08-02-2010 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AFjeepMan (Post 9893881)
The Dana 44 can handle 37's especially if you upgrade to 33 spline axles. I have seen it done several times and the 33 spline axle shafts are quite strong indeed!

Where do the front outer axles come into play with 37"s?:rofl:

larubie 08-02-2010 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirtycruiser (Post 9893978)
The Dana 44's will work IF you upgrade the gears in them to 5:13's or better. If your putting 37's on there you might also want to sleeve the front axles to help prevent bending. If their stock Dana 44's your not gonna do any serious off roading without breakage. If your a mall crawler with occasional trail riding you should be fine.

I am planning 5.13's along with the axle upgrade, but I would like to keep the stock lockers if possible, so going to 33 splines will be out. I figure $2500 for axles, gears, and sleeves where as D60's (complete) will be $10K. If the 44's + $2500 max in up grades is safe and sensible, than that is what I do...

never monday 08-02-2010 08:04 PM

JK 44's might

larubie 08-02-2010 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by never monday (Post 9894074)
JK 44's might

TJ 44's please...

Apex 08-02-2010 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GOLENJEEPTJ (Post 9894053)
Where do the front outer axles come into play with 37"s?:rofl:

Doesn't alloyusa have a solution to that?

Quote:

Originally Posted by never monday (Post 9894074)
JK 44's might

JK 44s will. (seen it with my own eyes on numerous occasions)

Jetscuh 08-02-2010 08:50 PM

I have heard from a local Jeep shop that the JK axles (44 included) are complete crap. The integrity of the whole axle, especially the axle tube just sucks.

Wondering if there is truth to that? From this thread it doesn't sound like it.

Apex 08-02-2010 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jetscuh (Post 9894475)
I have heard from a local Jeep shop that the JK axles (44 included) are complete crap. The integrity of the whole axle, especially the axle tube just sucks.

Wondering if there is truth to that? From this thread it doesn't sound like it.

Nope. Find a JK44 and tear it apart...then tear apart a TJ44...then go and dig into your RJ60.

You tell me the differences in all 3 axles... Ring & Pinion, tubes, etc...

dirtycruiser 08-02-2010 08:59 PM

I've heard/read that the JK's are tougher than the TJ's. The tubes are a lot thicker. But the JK's are a lot heavier also.


The time now is 02:46 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.