Can Dana 44 handle 37's... - Page 2 - JeepForum.com

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 67 Old 08-02-2010, 09:03 PM
Jetscuh
O rly?
2015  
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Germany
Posts: 1,192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex View Post
Nope. Find a JK44 and tear it apart...then tear apart a TJ44...then go and dig into your RJ60.

You tell me the differences in all 3 axles... Ring & Pinion, tubes, etc...
I haven't had the opportunity to really get into a JK44. I had a hard time believing this statement when it was said. Then, I remembered why I'd never take my Jeep to said shop. Well, I don't take it to any shop but you get the point.

For the time being, I am still in love with my RJ60.

Jetscuh is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #17 of 67 Old 08-02-2010, 09:20 PM
MisfitSeven
MAiL Crawler.
 
MisfitSeven's Avatar
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Bennington
Posts: 4,293
dana wanted to call the JK 44s dana 55s. mopar said no. that is why they are so much beefier than TJ 44s.
38x15.50x15s on stock rubi axles:

Mail crawling.
MisfitSeven is offline  
post #18 of 67 Old 08-02-2010, 09:29 PM
Sundowner
Registered User
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: The Republic of Dave
Posts: 6,408
My opinion: yes, they can hold up...but an inexperienced or non-careful driver can break them easily. Hell, if you're abusive you can break stuff with the factory tires still on...much less larger ones. Someone that's careful, picks their lines instead of gassing it up straight ahead, and knows when to back down...sure, I think they'd last quite a while. There'll be wear and tear, but that's going to happen anyway...the rate just depends on the tire size and the driver's habits. With all that said, I'll have alloy shafts in mine before I go to 37's. Probably Superiors in the rear, RCV's in the front.

Remember, big tires aren't just rough on the axles...there are other things in play, too...

If it's worth doing, then it's worth overdoing.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline  
post #19 of 67 Old 08-02-2010, 09:30 PM
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes
 
mrblaine's Avatar
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Quail Valley
Posts: 29,894
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtycruiser View Post
I've heard/read that the JK's are tougher than the TJ's. The tubes are a lot thicker. But the JK's are a lot heavier also.
The front tubes are the same as a TJ only longer and with more rigid control arm mounts on them. Balljoints are about the same, Inner C is stronger in some aspects, weaker in others.

All in all, outside of the the HP Dana 44 center section, it's a ho hum axle.

I am Savvy
blackmagicbrakes.com
Knowledge does not equal understanding.
mrblaine is offline  
post #20 of 67 Old 08-03-2010, 05:50 AM Thread Starter
larubie
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
My opinion: yes, they can hold up...but an inexperienced or non-careful driver can break them easily. Hell, if you're abusive you can break stuff with the factory tires still on...much less larger ones. Someone that's careful, picks their lines instead of gassing it up straight ahead, and knows when to back down...sure, I think they'd last quite a while. There'll be wear and tear, but that's going to happen anyway...the rate just depends on the tire size and the driver's habits. With all that said, I'll have alloy shafts in mine before I go to 37's. Probably Superiors in the rear, RCV's in the front.

Remember, big tires aren't just rough on the axles...there are other things in play, too...
Great input! I like what I am hearing. I don't want to be cheep, but axles are not expensive when you compare the cost of 2 new D60's. I will eventually go with the 60's when I install the 4.9 stroker 6. With just so much to do I am trying to pick the right thing first.

Wherever I may roam...
larubie is offline  
post #21 of 67 Old 08-03-2010, 07:22 AM
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes
 
mrblaine's Avatar
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Quail Valley
Posts: 29,894
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
My opinion: yes, they can hold up...but an inexperienced or non-careful driver can break them easily. Hell, if you're abusive you can break stuff with the factory tires still on...much less larger ones. Someone that's careful, picks their lines instead of gassing it up straight ahead, and knows when to back down...sure, I think they'd last quite a while. There'll be wear and tear, but that's going to happen anyway...the rate just depends on the tire size and the driver's habits. With all that said, I'll have alloy shafts in mine before I go to 37's. Probably Superiors in the rear, RCV's in the front.

Remember, big tires aren't just rough on the axles...there are other things in play, too...
Quote:
Originally Posted by larubie View Post
Great input! I like what I am hearing. I don't want to be cheep, but axles are not expensive when you compare the cost of 2 new D60's. I will eventually go with the 60's when I install the 4.9 stroker 6. With just so much to do I am trying to pick the right thing first.
Far be it from me to point out the obvious, but you should really consider taking advice from those that have actually RUN 37's.

I am Savvy
blackmagicbrakes.com
Knowledge does not equal understanding.
mrblaine is offline  
post #22 of 67 Old 08-03-2010, 07:33 AM
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK
 
Wheelin98TJ's Avatar
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 26,123
I have not run 37s or bigger on a D44, but some guys in our wheeling group have.

One ran 38.5 x 11 Boggers on a Rubi rear axle. He had problems with the rear locker on more than one occasion.
Wheelin98TJ is offline  
post #23 of 67 Old 08-03-2010, 07:43 AM
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes
 
mrblaine's Avatar
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Quail Valley
Posts: 29,894
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelin98TJ View Post
I have not run 37s or bigger on a D44, but some guys in our wheeling group have.

One ran 38.5 x 11 Boggers on a Rubi rear axle. He had problems with the rear locker on more than one occasion.
The rig I built for Jon came to be precisely for that reason. He ran 37's and grew weary of pouring money into the rear 44. He spent enough trying to keep it alive that he could have bought 2 RJ 60's and put them in.

I am Savvy
blackmagicbrakes.com
Knowledge does not equal understanding.
mrblaine is offline  
post #24 of 67 Old 08-03-2010, 07:52 AM
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK
 
Wheelin98TJ's Avatar
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 26,123
I think the RJ60 is a bargain.

I don't know if the prices came down recently, or if they have always been priced where they are, but they seem to be a great deal.

After the recent locker and gear replacement in my 8.8, I'm nearing RJ60 price for my total investment.

I'm still well under the pric of 2 of them though, so that makes me feel a little better.
Wheelin98TJ is offline  
post #25 of 67 Old 08-03-2010, 08:06 AM
Jetscuh
O rly?
2015  
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Germany
Posts: 1,192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelin98TJ View Post
I think the RJ60 is a bargain.

I don't know if the prices came down recently, or if they have always been priced where they are, but they seem to be a great deal.

After the recent locker and gear replacement in my 8.8, I'm nearing RJ60 price for my total investment.

I'm still well under the pric of 2 of them though, so that makes me feel a little better.
I was surprised at the final cost of my RJ60. Originally I was shopping around for a Dana 44, then someone told me to look into the RJ60. I think it only ended up being a couple hundred more than I was going to spend on the 44 anyway.
Jetscuh is offline  
post #26 of 67 Old 08-03-2010, 08:16 AM
Sundowner
Registered User
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: The Republic of Dave
Posts: 6,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
Far be it from me to point out the obvious, but you should really consider taking advice from those that have actually RUN 37's.
That was exactly the basis for my comment. I should amend my statement, though. Alloy shafts in the rear would be a minimum for me. I'd feel better with a 60, but that's a lot of money at once. Since I am as-of-yet unconvinced that I even need 37's - and I probably don't, truth be told - I don't see the reason to upgrade the axle right now. I'd rather beef the D44 I have and run 35's. If I need another two inches of tire, I'll look at Currie's rear 60 and chalk it up to the cost of doing business.

If it's worth doing, then it's worth overdoing.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline  
post #27 of 67 Old 08-03-2010, 08:26 AM
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes
 
mrblaine's Avatar
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Quail Valley
Posts: 29,894
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
I'd rather beef the D44 I have and run 35's. .
What beef? We run the crap out of them stock and rarely break an axle. I've seen the stock axle run 40 or 50 trails in JV and never care.

I am Savvy
blackmagicbrakes.com
Knowledge does not equal understanding.
mrblaine is offline  
post #28 of 67 Old 08-03-2010, 08:38 AM
Sundowner
Registered User
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: The Republic of Dave
Posts: 6,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
What beef? We run the crap out of them stock and rarely break an axle. I've seen the stock axle run 40 or 50 trails in JV and never care.
My bank account thanks you for contributing to the sum of my knowledge.

Am I going to an overkill situation by upgrading to an alloy shaft? What about the limited slip in the rear locker?

This brings up another point...what's the big difference between 35's and 37's, anyway? It's two inches more tire...where did their 44-wrecking reputation come from in the first place? Is this just some sort of rotational mass equation that I haven't figured out, yet?

If it's worth doing, then it's worth overdoing.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline  
post #29 of 67 Old 08-03-2010, 08:46 AM
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK
 
Wheelin98TJ's Avatar
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 26,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetscuh View Post
I was surprised at the final cost of my RJ60. Originally I was shopping around for a Dana 44, then someone told me to look into the RJ60. I think it only ended up being a couple hundred more than I was going to spend on the 44 anyway.
That might have been me.

I have pointed that out to a few people lately who are considering a new D44.
Wheelin98TJ is offline  
post #30 of 67 Old 08-03-2010, 08:57 AM
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes
 
mrblaine's Avatar
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Quail Valley
Posts: 29,894
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
My bank account thanks you for contributing to the sum of my knowledge.

Am I going to an overkill situation by upgrading to an alloy shaft? What about the limited slip in the rear locker?

This brings up another point...what's the big difference between 35's and 37's, anyway? It's two inches more tire...where did their 44-wrecking reputation come from in the first place? Is this just some sort of rotational mass equation that I haven't figured out, yet?
Depending on the tire, it's traction. I've measured the footprint of an aired down 37" MT/R and it was 16" long. That's just a lot of grip.

I am Savvy
blackmagicbrakes.com
Knowledge does not equal understanding.
mrblaine is offline  
Reply

Tags
d44 , dana 44 , 37 , tires , strength

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Jeep Forums Replies Last Post
35's vs 37's on dana 44 debate Ulumanati TJ Wrangler Technical Forum 2 06-06-2010 05:24 PM
Dana 35 with 37's? IH8ROADZ TJ Wrangler Technical Forum 66 10-29-2009 01:33 PM
is anyone running 37's or bigger on dana 44s codymparmy TJ Wrangler Technical Forum 11 07-07-2007 08:04 PM
37's with a Dana 30? PJTJ TJ Wrangler Technical Forum 17 09-03-2006 09:59 PM
Can an 8.8 handle 36 or 37's? BNovak TJ Wrangler Technical Forum 6 03-29-2005 07:46 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome