Camshaft problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Camshaft problem

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 01-29-2008, 08:55 AM   #1
Cheater5
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Camshaft problem

I have an '05 Rubicon, bought it this past December with 12,800 miles on it. About a week after I drove it home, the check engine light came on..I brought it to the dealer and was told that a gear in the camshaft was machined wrong from the factory. They replaced the cam and a day after I got my Jeep back the light came on again, this time followed by a loud sputtering noise. Again I brought it back to the dealer and again they replaced the Cam, the lifter in the 5th cylinder and an exhaust valve (all covered, thank God!) Well wouldn't you know, two days after I got my car back..the light came on again. I brought it back to the dealer this past Tuesday and still don't have my Jeep! I called to find out info and they said they had to order a new cam! This is the 3rd one! Obviously something else is wrong here...anyone else experience this problem or have any clue what can be causing the camshaft to go bad?

Cheater5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2008, 08:10 PM   #2
WJtech

I've changed a couple and seen other people change them for worn lifters and cam lobes. The recall has to do with the cam sensor gear, too long to explain Changing the cam on a 4.0L is pretty staight foward so who ever is working on you jeep must be a retard or a complete hack,and i hope there changing all the lifters and not just one which could be the problem.
WJtech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2008, 09:57 PM   #3
Nonya
Web Wheeler
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Sounds like they may be trying to use the old lifters instead of paying for a complete new set.The cam and lifters MUST be changed as a set or you're going to have nothing but trouble. Good Luck
Nonya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2008, 10:56 PM   #4
jeep06
2015 KL Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJtech
I've changed a couple and seen other people change them for worn lifters and cam lobes. The recall has to do with the cam sensor gear, too long to explain Changing the cam on a 4.0L is pretty staight foward so who ever is working on you jeep must be a retard or a complete hack,and i hope there changing all the lifters and not just one which could be the problem.

Which recall was there for the cam sensor gear?? I have checked my vin several times on Jeep's web site and it shows nothing. Maybe it was just a short run of them that had problems??
Unread 01-30-2008, 03:34 AM   #5
Black01TJ
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJtech
This guy is right. Maybe you should go to a different dealership to get it fixed, or talk to the manager of the one you use now. Nothing breaks things like someone who doesn't know what they're doing.......
[SIZE="3"][/SIZE][FONT="Verdana"][SIZE="4"][COLOR="Black"]Black Jeep C[SIZE="2"][/SIZE]lub Member #212[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"][SIZE="4"]Atheist Jeep Club Member #4[/SIZE][/FONT]
Black01TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2008, 11:51 AM   #6
BC Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Your service center techs are a bunch of Bozos. Sounds like they don't know what there doing. Run Forrest, run!! Run as fast and far as you can. Find another dealer!

The only time you can reuse an old lifter on a new cam is if is a roller cam with roller lifters. Other than that, all new lifters on a new cam!

Most people mis-pronounce the place that they buy cars from. It should be called STEALERSHIP vise Dealership cause you surly are NOT getting and deals there.
BC Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2008, 02:10 PM   #7
Jerky bump
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black01TJ
Nothing breaks things like someone who doesn't know what they're doing.......
Yeah. It almost seems by the turn of events, the drive sprocket wasn't attached to the camshaft the first change. How can a bad sensor gear affect a valve and a lifter.
Either that, or the work isn't being done, they're getting paid for it and their luck pooped out on their bluff. Just a thought.
I sure hope nothing else got screwed up that they won't tell you about.
Good luck. BTW some people call me schizzo/paranoid. I say I'm wary.
Jerky bump is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2008, 02:52 PM   #8
Heyduke
2006 TJ Wrangler 

The lifter bores are too tight. Were machined that way from the factory. Will cause the problems you speak of. I've heard that some people get new shortblocks out of the deal. Don't know if they make undersized lifters or not. But you can ask em about it.

Good luck.
Heyduke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-31-2008, 05:50 AM   #9
Cheater5
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for all the replies guys! Heyduke, in a way I hope that's not the problem...but if it is, it would be nice to get a new engine! Thanks for the info, i'll be sure to ask a lot more questions when I go pick it up!
Cheater5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.