Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Camshaft, crankshaft sensor and diagnostic tool

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Rubi4MyMrs 
#1 ·
So I have recently bought an 06 LJ 4.0 auto and it had a few issues from the last owner. One in particular is the P0340/0344/0016 error codes which all tie to the camshaft crankshaft sensors. Replaced both sensors and the OPDA (gear looked good and no howling monkeys that the other posts refer to). I double checked that the engine was a TDC and reinstalled the OPDA. The check engine light stays off for a while (even after I reach operating temp) and will then come back on. P0016 has been the popular code at this point. I remember reading about the dealership having a particular tool to help the LJ relearn and sync the signals between the cam/crank sensors. I really don't like going to the dealership and I haven't played with diagnostic tools that much. Is there a tool out there that is reasonably priced that will help in this situation? I've had some form of a jeep for many years and will probably have one till the end so decent diagnostic tool might be worth it.

#2 ·
You could probably get away with rotating the OPDA housing slightly and see if it stops. I had the cam/crank relearn done at the dealership recently they charged around $100 to do it. It would be nice to have a scan tool with the capability to do it but they are pretty high dollar.

#3 ·
That's right, the housing needs to be turned a SLIGHT amount to clear the P-0016. It is very close if the light is not coming on until it warms up. If off too far you will get the code when it starts or worse it won't start. There is no real relearn, when the sync is within tolerance you won't get that code. As for the 340 & 344 codes, those are often caused by a bad sensor like using non-OEM ones that come with Dorman & Crown OPDAs. If you still have the original one, try it in the new OPDA if those codes return.

There is a pretty tight tolerance when syncing the OPDA so you need to get it exactly on TDC then turn the housing just enough to put the pin in & tighten the housing before removing the pin. Removing the belt will help you see the timing marks & get them lined up better.

Here is a link that might help.

Photo of the belt off & timing marks with directions for proper alignment

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/installed-new-opda-still-wont-start-ideas-1400534/#post13962022

Better photo of marks with belt off.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/2...or-failure-1144202/index361.html#post35045617

#4 ·
Rubi - yeah, I went through and read all the post over the last week. I think I am just getting frustrated with it because I know I am close, but just keep missing the mark. It would be nice to hook up a tool and it displays how many degrees you are +/-. I actually bought a Dorman OPDA and haven't had any issues with 0340/0344 with my trips around town recently. I don't remember seeing anything about after market crankshaft sensors having significant issues.

#5 ·
I think if you search P0344 here you will find several recent ones with this issue after replacing the OPDA & putting the old sensor fixes most. If you don't get that code, go with what you have but hang on to the old sensor in case it comes up later as some do after some time.

Here is one from a couple yrs ago when this first surfaced & I think the next post too.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/2...or-failure-1144202/index333.html#post26277282

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.