Cable fuse From alternator upgrade - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Cable fuse From alternator upgrade

ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Even Better Heim Pricing! From Ruffstuff

Unread 08-02-2010, 10:04 AM   #1
dickyson
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Fuse wire From alternator upgrade need help

Hello everyone,

I just upgraded my alternator and the company that sold it to me said that the cable had also to be changed to 2 gauge. So went ahead and replaced the cable but noticed that there is a wire fuse (someone told me that it is a cable that works as a fuse and has silver in it or some sort of material, this cable runs from the alternator to the fuse box which then runs to the battery) anyways I changed my new cable to 2 gauge, can anyone fill me in to what cable fuse should I buy to place the fuse cable or what to do to protect the battery in case the alternator goes wrong?

2005 wrangler rubicon

thank you!

Last edited by dickyson; 08-02-2010 at 02:01 PM.. Reason: forgot the word need help in the title
dickyson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2010, 02:55 PM   #2
BlueFlame
2003 TJ Wrangler 

It's called a fusible link.
BlueFlame is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2010, 03:02 PM   #3
dickyson
2005 TJ Wrangler 

thanks ,

now I just need to know what gauge of fusible link to buy for a 205 amp alternator with a 2 gauge cable.
Unread 08-02-2010, 03:34 PM   #4
RubiOR
2006 LJ Wrangler 

From Wikipedia
Quote:
An electrical fusible link is a type of electrical fuse that is constructed simply with a short piece of wire typically four [American wire gauge] sizes smaller than the wire that is being protected. For example, an AWG 16 fusible link might be used to protect AWG 12 wiring. Electrical Fusible links are common in high-current automotive applications. The wire in an electrical fusible link is encased in high-temperature fire-resistant insulation to reduce hazards when the wire melts
I'd like to hear more about your 205A alternator...
Unread 08-02-2010, 03:56 PM   #5
dickyson
2005 TJ Wrangler 

205 amp alterator

Thanks for the info from Wikipedia. Finally that resolves my problem.

Regarding the alternator $299 205 amps (load Boss) , plus the 2 gauge cable that was $20 or $30 , here is the website:

Alterstart

Let me know if you need anything else

Unread 08-02-2010, 04:50 PM   #6
5-90
1988 XJ Cherokee 

You'll have a hard time finding 6AWG fusible link wire anywhere (I've been looking for 10AWG for years!)

Use a 225A ANL or MEGA fuse instead. I can help you there if you like - link in sig.
Unread 08-02-2010, 04:56 PM   #7
dickyson
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-90 View Post
You'll have a hard time finding 6AWG fusible link wire anywhere (I've been looking for 10AWG for years!)

Use a 225A ANL or MEGA fuse instead. I can help you there if you like - link in sig.

thanks, your right, best i could find is 10 gauge fusible link, perhaps adding the 10 gauge and the MEGA fuse or ANL will have a better protection.

Tags
alternator , fuse , cable , upgrade , tj , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.