in-cab electrical ALL dead, gauges, lights and switches - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > in-cab electrical ALL dead, gauges, lights and switches

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 07-28-2010, 04:55 AM   #1
whatevah
2012 JK Wrangler 

in-cab electrical ALL dead, gauges, lights and switches

Posting for a buddy, way too busy with running a new business and family.

04 TJ, 4.0L Battery in the Jeep died in the winter (left something on) and he replaced the battery with a new one. But didn't tighten the brackets enough and the battery slid. The positive post/cable hit the body of the Jeep and everything electrical shut off. Engine would still run and he could drive it, but nothing electrical worked...

A few months of sitting later, battery died. Recharged it and everything worked until he steps on the brake or turns the lights on and everything shuts off again.

had the alternator tested at pep boys, says it's ok. he checked all the fuses under the hood and glove box and they all appear to be ok. Checked wires underhood between battery, starter and alternator, all look fine. Nothing melted, burned or broken.

I loaned him my OBD reader and at least that still works, picked up an emissions code P0443.

Any ideas I can pass on? I searched on here for a bit, but only found threads related to the guage cluster connectors (which he did check).

Unread 07-28-2010, 05:28 AM   #2
cidd
2001 XJ Cherokee 

more than likely fryed a grounding strap or ground wirer somewere.
cidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2010, 11:02 PM   #3
whatevah
2012 JK Wrangler 

I stopped by to look at his TJ today while he was at work, the ground strap from the back of the block to the firewall is in 2 pieces. That may have something to do with it...
Unread 07-28-2010, 11:04 PM   #4
1990offroadYJ
1990 YJ Wrangler 

that would definatly cause a huge problem. after my motor swap i forgot that ground strap and the jeep ran like garbage. put it on and everything is good
1990offroadYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2010, 06:56 PM   #5
whatevah
2012 JK Wrangler 

a quick update... I stopped by his house and looked over the engine compartment for him. I checked all the fuses and relays and started on the wiring. The ground wire from the battery to the engine was fine, but the braided grounding strap from the back of the engine to the firewall was broken/torn/burnt through around 4 inches from the firewall. He replaced it a few days ago and all appears to be back to normal. His wife was a little annoyed that his Jeep was sitting in the driveway for 6 months when all it needed was a 5 minute fix. hehe
Unread 08-04-2010, 09:04 PM   #6
1990offroadYJ
1990 YJ Wrangler 

thats good to hear. Another jeep on the road!
1990offroadYJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.