a/c clutch removal - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > a/c clutch removal

LOCKERS!!!! - ARB, Auburn, Detroit, Eaton, OX, Spartan, YuRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all ECGS Black Friday Sale!!

Unread 06-07-2006, 07:33 PM   #1
dougthecat

a/c clutch removal

Guys need a little help.

I am trying to remove the a/c clutch to replace the bearing... Very noisy.

I rented all the pullers at the local autozone, but none seem to fit.

Does any one know hoe to remove this without damage or else can someone look it up in a service manual and let me know.

Thanks

dougthecat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2006, 07:56 PM   #2
Scott_98TJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

On my 98, I removed the outer nut, the plate, some shims and a key along with a snap ring, and then there was another snap ring inside the belt pulley. IIRC I used a few taps with a rubber mallet to work the pulley off. Sometimes you can thread a bolt into the front to remove a pulley, I know I do that on my OBA clutch, but dont recall if you can on the AC unit.

FYI I know that some people have replaced their bearing, but it's built and sold as a non service item. The bearing is stamped in. Yes, you can get it out, but it's not as straight forward as it could be.

Kentucky Krawlers
Scott_98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2006, 08:09 PM   #3
dougthecat

I removed the nut, but can not remove the clutch, From what I know there is the shim and c clip behind that then the pulley can be removed.

The bearing is a servicable item as I already have purchased that. Just need to get the damn clutch off, i have anything i need at work as far as getting the bearing out goes.

Thanks for the response.

Any one else???
Unread 06-07-2006, 09:02 PM   #4
T.H's TJ

They make a special puller for ac clutches. That is what i have always used on tractor trailors.
T.H's TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2006, 09:03 AM   #5
onebigtj

I realize that, Just am not sure what which one i need. Seems they do not have the correct one at the autoparts store.
Unread 06-08-2006, 10:29 AM   #6
Mudder6699

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougthecat

The bearing is a servicable item as I already have purchased that. Just need to get the damn clutch off, i have anything i need at work as far as getting the bearing out goes.

I got the same problem right now, I just need to replace my bearings. But where did you find these? I cant get them from anywhere around here...

Thanks
99 GMC Sierra RCLB 4x4-Gone
Mudder6699 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2006, 10:38 AM   #7
onebigtj

I got mine through autozone. It was a special order part which took about 3 days to come in and was ~$40.

I am just unsure how to remove the clutch on the compressor so i can get to the damn bearing.

Anyone know what type of compressor it is??

Thanks
Unread 06-08-2006, 12:01 PM   #8
Mudder6699

Thanks I'll check them out
99 GMC Sierra RCLB 4x4-Gone
Mudder6699 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2006, 05:49 PM   #9
T.H's TJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by onebigtj
I got mine through autozone. It was a special order part which took about 3 days to come in and was ~$40.

I am just unsure how to remove the clutch on the compressor so i can get to the damn bearing.

Anyone know what type of compressor it is??

Thanks
Should say on the compressor.
T.H's TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2006, 08:09 PM   #10
dougthecat

It probably is but i did not want to take it off. looks like i may have to though.

anyone else???
Unread 06-09-2006, 10:40 AM   #11
onebigtj

no one has ever taken this off??
Unread 06-09-2006, 11:29 AM   #12
usmc1951
2005 LJ Wrangler 

ac clutch

What is the year of the jeep and does it have factory air or aftermarket and i will tell you how to take off the clutch Allie
usmc1951 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-09-2006, 11:36 AM   #13
skinton
1998 TJ Wrangler 

In the 98 TJ Factory Service Manual, under the heating and air conditioning section, compressor clutch section:

Step 6) Insert the two pins of the spanner wrench (special tool C-4489) into the holes of the clutch plate. Hold the clutch plate stationary and remove the hex nut.

Step 7) Remove the clutch plate with a puller (special tool C-6461).

Step 8) Remove the compressor shaft key and the shims.

Step 9) Remove the external frnt housing snap ring with snap ring pliers.

Step 10) Install the lip of the rotor puller (special tool C-6141-1) into the snap ring groove exposed in the previous step, and install the shaft protector (special tool C6141-2).

Step 11) Install the puller through-bolts (special tool C-6461) throught the puller flange and into the jaws of the rotor puller and tighten. Turn the puller center puller bolt clockwise until the rotor pulley is free.

As you can see from the partial set of directions, there are a couple of special tools you will need.

Good luck!

2006 Grand Cherokee Overland (5.7L HEMI)
HEMI Club Member #53

2003 M-B C240 4matic
skinton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2006, 06:30 PM   #14
dougthecat

the jeep is a 2000 wrangler sport with 4.0l. It has factory air as far as i know.
Unread 06-11-2006, 06:31 PM   #15
dougthecat

thanks for posting the fsm directions. It looks like i may have to bring it over to jeep if i cant find these tools.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.