c-clip eliminator - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > c-clip eliminator

Jeep Wrangler Wheel Bearing & Hub - FrontJeep Grand Cherokee Window RegulatorComponent speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFG

Unread 01-07-2012, 04:58 AM   #1
mediumdaddy
1997 TJ Wrangler 

c-clip eliminator

can somebody please explain exactly what this is? i know what the c-clip in my d35 is, but i'm weighing rear axle options, and considering a s35 kit, (apparently the wife mod was a little unimpressed by the cost of my shiny new ECGS 8.8, but i'm still working on that) but i dont want a locker back there, so i was wondering exactly what a c-clip eliminator kit does? thank you!

Utah Jeepcrew #63
mediumdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2012, 05:07 AM   #2
reewik
1997 TJ Wrangler 

The c-clip is just what it says. A c-clip is used to hold something together. In this case the c-clip is what actually holds your axles shafts in the axle housing. The c-clips are accessible by taking off the diff cover. You will actually see the c-clips on the end of the axles in a groove on the axle shafts themselves. DO some research as there are a few alternatives to the c-clip's. I still have em, gonna fix that it's just the highest on my list with winter setting in.
4.88 gears , 8000 winch, Smittybuilt rear armor, bumper with tire mount.
reewik is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2012, 09:04 PM   #3
mediumdaddy
1997 TJ Wrangler 

thanks for the response. i'm well aware what the c-clip is and what it does. i'm just wondering what exactly the c-clip eliminator kit is. pics of the kit would be good, but i know thats a big expensive pain.
Utah Jeepcrew #63
Unread 01-07-2012, 09:24 PM   #4
cj847
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Your post is a little confusing, as you mention a lot of unrelated stuff.

-The D35 and the Ford 8.8 are both C clip axles.
-The installation of a locker has nothing to do with the c clips. With or without a locker, these axles would still have c clips.
-The c clip eliminator (to the best of my knowledge) simply change the axle from a c clip design to a semi floater design. If you've ever seen a D44 rear axle apart you can see the difference. D44 axles have pressed on bearings and a retainer to hold the axle in the tube (vs the c clip to hold the axle in while riding on loose bearings).
-The only c-clips I've seen break are at demolition derbys, not on trail rides.

Inserting my opinion here: A c-clip eliminator is a good way to spend several hundred dollars, while improving performance by zero.
Unread 01-07-2012, 09:29 PM   #5
cheapjeep06
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Cj, I'm sure someone will post the link to the page with all the pics of broken c-clip/D35 axles for your viewing pleasure.

edit: http://www.billhughes.com/dana35c/
cheapjeep06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2012, 09:29 PM   #6
RaggedOleMan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Superior CCE link; http://www.4x4groupbuy.com/store/superior-axle-m35-super-eliminator-cclip-eliminator-kit-9006-y-p-9915.html

Kit Includes
- 2 USA-made Chrom-moly Axle Shafts
- 2 Billet Housing Ends
- Ten 1/2"-20 Thread-in Studs
- Loctite
- Timken SET10 Bearings
- All Necessary Hardware
- Drill Bit

Essentially The CCE comes with two 27 spline Evolutions series shafts, pressed on bearings, and a set of retaining plates similar to that of a d44, to hold in/contain the shafts so the c-clip can be eliminated. I have a write of my install on my rig in my signature below. However, it isn't as informative as I'd hoped, regarding the c-clip eliminator kit..
RaggedOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2012, 09:33 PM   #7
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj847 View Post

-The installation of a locker has nothing to do with the c clips. With or without a locker, these axles would still have c clips.
-The c clip eliminator (to the best of my knowledge) simply change the axle from a c clip design to a semi floater design. If you've ever seen a D44 rear axle apart you can see the difference. D44 axles have pressed on bearings and a retainer to hold the axle in the tube (vs the c clip to hold the axle in while riding on loose bearings).

Inserting my opinion here: A c-clip eliminator is a good way to spend several hundred dollars, while improving performance by zero.
I would agree with you, but you are missing the critical point that all (to my knowledge) c-clip eliminator kits for the D35 also consist of upgraded chromoly shafts, some also come with full case lockers or limited slips so you can increase the spline count.

CU Boulder Aerospace Engineering
freeskier93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2012, 10:11 PM   #8
StvDiego

Essentially the Superior C-Clip Eliminator uses a bearing race/plate that bolts to the axle housing (first pic below), in turn, a new alloy shaft with bearing pressed on the shaft itself is secured to that plate with a retainer ring (you can see the retainer plate in the second pic - it is sitting away from the race for the purpose of this pic, it will sit flush and secured). Basically, it replicates the mounting of a D44 axle shaft.

This eliminates the c-clip, the purpose being that if an axle shaft were to break it would be retained in the axle and not "walk" out of the axle tube, which of course results in a loss of braking ability among other messes.

I was one of the original testers of this setup, I abused it to felonious levels in heavy rocks on 33's and no locker and it held up with nary a complaint. it eventually ended up in a friend's TJ who carried on the abusive tendencies and it never complained. Unfortunately his Jeep was stolen so some low-life scum has a great axle and probably has no idea...

Hope that explains what you wanted, it is a worthwhile investment if it's in the budget and meets your needs if for no other reason than the obvious safety benefits to you, your family and others
innerplate.jpg   retainerplate.jpg  
StvDiego is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2012, 10:12 PM   #9
mediumdaddy
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj847 View Post

ok this is more helpful. i know both the d35 and 8.8 are c-clip axles, i'm just weighing cost and options.
Utah Jeepcrew #63
Unread 01-08-2012, 07:45 AM   #10
dragginwagon406
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mediumdaddy View Post
can somebody please explain exactly what this is? i know what the c-clip in my d35 is, but i'm weighing rear axle options, and considering a s35 kit, (apparently the wife mod was a little unimpressed by the cost of my shiny new ECGS 8.8, but i'm still working on that) but i dont want a locker back there, so i was wondering exactly what a c-clip eliminator kit does? thank you!
A little confused, are you looking for c-clip eliminator for your shiny new 8.8 or your D35?

The beauty of the standard 27 spline c-clip eliminator kit for the D35 is that you don't have to install a locker or anything else. Just beware it only works with drums brakes and no-ABS. I'm also considering the kit for the D35.

With the c-clip eliminator, if you break an axle or spider, you can at least drive/tow or possibly drive using the front diff if the trail is easier, the rig to a trail head while you still have brakes. You can without the c-clip as well, it's just a lot more work keeping the axle in so you have brakes.
dragginwagon406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2012, 08:06 AM   #11
c69ss396
Just me...

2001 TJ Wrangler 

before I would do a C-clip eliminator I would do a disk brake conversion, That would keep the axle in if you broke it and also help with stopping,
c69ss396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2012, 08:23 AM   #12
dragginwagon406
1998 TJ Wrangler 

If I did anything before a c-clip eliminator, it would be to simply upgrade the axles. I wouldn't use discs to keep a stock axle (or after market) in place.
dragginwagon406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2012, 09:24 AM   #13
c69ss396
Just me...

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragginwagon406 View Post
If I did anything before a c-clip eliminator, it would be to simply upgrade the axles. I wouldn't use discs to keep a stock axle (or after market) in place.
whats your logic for this? The disc brakes will keep the axle in, and it will help with braking. The c-clip eliminator will also keep the axle in but nothing more.
With either all they will do is help get you off the trail. If I'm missing something here let me know.
c69ss396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2012, 09:38 AM   #14
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by c69ss396 View Post
whats your logic for this? The disc brakes will keep the axle in, and it will help with braking. The c-clip eliminator will also keep the axle in but nothing more.
With either all they will do is help get you off the trail. If I'm missing something here let me know.
Disk brakes aren't going to do anything for your braking. A better argument is disk brakes are easier to maintain and don't collect mud/water and other junk like drums. Considering you can get that superior c-clip kit with upgraded shafts for pretty much the same as a a disk brake conversion, I don't know why you would do a disk brake conversion.

CU Boulder Aerospace Engineering
freeskier93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2012, 10:27 AM   #15
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeskier93 View Post
Disk brakes aren't going to do anything for your braking. A better argument is disk brakes are easier to maintain and don't collect mud/water and other junk like drums. Considering you can get that superior c-clip kit with upgraded shafts for pretty much the same as a a disk brake conversion, I don't know why you would do a disk brake conversion.
X2 on all that, especially that swapping from rear drum to disk isn't going to improve normal driving braking performance.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.