A/C "button" modification? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > A/C "button" modification?

2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 12-24-2003, 11:54 AM   #1
Bos

A/C "button" modification?

It's beyond me why there is not a separate button to control the air condition, but as we all know, there's not. Today I was thinking about some way to add a button allowing me to turn off/on the A/C when I wanted, and not have it be dependant on which vent control I selected. I was wondering if anyone had done this, or has any ideas or links?

Bos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2003, 12:35 PM   #2
geauxturbo
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bos
It's beyond me why there is not a separate button to control the air condition, but as we all know, there's not.
Look at you steering wheel does it have J E E P written on it? That would be the problem
'97 TJ Sport Black, 3.5" RE, PSC Trail Cage, Ford F150/Explorer Hybrid 8.8 Aussie locked, Lockright in the XJ HP 30, 4.88 gears, Borla Headers, No Muffler, 35x12.5 R15 Baja MTZs, Currie TrackBar. Homebuilt Longarm 4 link, AA HD SYE, TW CV DS, Warn tire carrier, Jeeperman front bumper, Warn X8000i with Amsteel Blue rope with a safety thimble, CO2
GeauxLook@myJeep

Last edited by geauxturbo; 12-24-2003 at 12:39 PM..
geauxturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2003, 01:42 PM   #3
Bos

Quote:
Originally Posted by geauxturbo
Look at you steering wheel does it have J E E P written on it? That would be the problem
Maybe I should has said "It frustrates me to no end..."
Unread 12-24-2003, 09:57 PM   #4
halfmoonclip
2004 TJ Wrangler 

My old Dodge Raider had the A/C switch that could be used in any hvac position. It IS the best system, but at least the Jeep does have strong air and heat. The Raider was in trouble below 10 degrees.
I'm guessing you could adapt hvac controls from some ricer (the Japanese stuff usually uses a compressor switch).
IMHO, it sounds like TOO MUCH P***ING AROUND.
Moon
'07 Dodge Caliber R/T AWD-da kid's ride
Goodbye Old Blue XJ; 10+yrs, 100K+ miles; virtually trouble free; Long may you run!
halfmoonclip is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-25-2003, 07:31 AM   #5
THEKNEEBITER

its not that big of a deal to put in a switch. it would consist of a switch a diode, relay,some wire. if you can get a hold of the service manual for your year jeep and email me a pic of the wiring diagram that has the ac compressor and blower motor i will make you nice clear step by step instructions on what to do. when you press the button your ac would turn on and no matter what position your vents were at. if you want a little more control i could add a three position rocker and resistors to get different blower speeds. with that one you would have seperate ac and seperate heat controls.
THEKNEEBITER is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-25-2003, 10:05 AM   #6
franco802

The way I look at it, we are all lucky we even have a/c and heating in a jeep
04' X, 5 speed, 4.0L,hardtop,kilby PS armor,Warn rock guards,2"RE BB w/DT3000 shocks, hi-lift jack,15x8 Black crawlers with 31x10.5 Procomp X-Terrains, Hurst short throw shifter Hella 500's offroad AND driving lights . Warn X8000i winch w/ Tomken mounting plate
White Jeep Club member #802
FOLLOW ME TO CERTAIN DEATH JEEP CLUB MEMEBER #21
SoCal Jeep Club Member #4
2006 GTO & 1986 K5 Blazer
franco802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-25-2003, 01:50 PM   #7
PrfctAggression
Web Wheeler

I'd like to have the option to disable the compressor on mine, too. It really irritates me that if I want air coming our on the floor and the windshield(or the floor and dash vents) the stupid compressor has to run. The extra oxygenates that are added to fuel in the wintertime already hurt fuel efficiency, and then I have to deal with the added drag of the compressor, too.
It can't be that complex to wire in a button. I really need to get off my lazy rear and take a look at the wiring. Oh, and I need a new multimeter, too.
[COLOR=yellow]Yellow Jeep Club and Redneck Jeep Club member #666 [/COLOR]
PrfctAggression is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2003, 07:24 AM   #8
Bos

Okay... so does anyone have the schematic? I would think it could be as easy as finding which wires on the back of the vent selector trigger the compressor to start. Bypass those with a separate switch, and done. Just had another thought... what about switch enabling the fuse for the compressor circuit? Is the compressor on it's own fuse/circuit (too lazy to look at the moment)?
Unread 12-26-2003, 04:01 PM   #9
halfmoonclip
2004 TJ Wrangler 

All- If you do figure a way to control the compressor, don't forget to turn it ON from time to time over the winter; saves the seals.
BTW, Prfct, I don't think the compressor cycles much if the heater temp is turned up, and the outside temp is low.
At least the six can handle it; my old Scirocco with air felt like someone pulled a plug lead off when the compressor ran. I always turned off the air before I passed someone on a two lane.
Moon
'07 Dodge Caliber R/T AWD-da kid's ride
Goodbye Old Blue XJ; 10+yrs, 100K+ miles; virtually trouble free; Long may you run!
halfmoonclip is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.