A/C Blower Switch or Resistor? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > A/C Blower Switch or Resistor?

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 07-03-2010, 12:55 AM   #1
Emergency

A/C Blower Switch or Resistor?

So I had my A/C serviced last year and the resistor was replaced. Everything was working just fine. Now, in order to get my air to blow at all, I have to finely adjust the fan switch to almost halfway between speed 3 and 4 to blow at all and when it does, it doesn't blow as strong as setting 4 used to. Do I need to replace the blower switch this time? I have a 2001 TJ 4.0.

Emergency is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2010, 02:26 AM   #2
TJaefick
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Sounds slightly more like the switch this time, although it seems to be the resistor the other 95% of the time... Tough one.
Unread 07-05-2012, 04:11 PM   #3
JeepOfFaith
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah, sounds like the switch to me. The switch on my 2005 TJ burned out and I fixed it last week. You can get a replacement for somewhere around $20 from Amazon, Quadratec, or Mopar. THe replacement is really easy to install -- take off the defrost vent cover, the center bezel, and the switch is accessible.

Then do the relay mod to ensure it doesn't burn out again.

~Matt
JeepOfFaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2012, 04:16 PM   #4
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emergency View Post
So I had my A/C serviced last year and the resistor was replaced. Everything was working just fine. Now, in order to get my air to blow at all, I have to finely adjust the fan switch to almost halfway between speed 3 and 4 to blow at all and when it does, it doesn't blow as strong as setting 4 used to. Do I need to replace the blower switch this time? I have a 2001 TJ 4.0.
Yep.
JBTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2012, 10:26 PM   #5
M1ark
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emergency View Post
Fan blower. This caused your resistor problem last year and now causing switch problem.

Jeepwranglertech.com
M1ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2012, 06:22 AM   #6
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1ark View Post
Fan blower. This caused your resistor problem last year and now causing switch problem.

Jeepwranglertech.com
Maybe, the weakest link in the circuit always goes first. Blower motor starts to wear, pulls a little more current. Here's the problem. The circuit has the switch controlling the blower motor which is only rated for 10 amps, blower motor is 30 amps max. So you can see how a blower motor pulling more amps is outside the threshold of a 10 amp switch, causing it to melt down. Some switches seem to be a better quality than others and last longer. If the blower motor was really pulling too many amps then fuse would blow. Solution is the relay modification. Install a 40 amp relay in the circuit so that the switch controls the relay and the relay controls the blower motor. I too had melting issues with the blower motor switch, mode switch and the resistor pack going out. Did the relay mod about 6 years ago and no more problems, still using the original blower motor too.
JBTJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
a/c blower switch , bower motor resistor , tj

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.