Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

A/C - airflow expertise needed

875 views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  aprubio 
#1 ·
Have a 2006 Unlimited. A/C stopped blowing cold air a couple months ago. Cleaned radiator that was clogged up with off roading souveniers and had freon checked. Started bowing cold again up until about 2 weeks ago when temp here in Miami started getting real hot. A/C blows cold at night and in morning. Hot air when outside temp rises, regardless of whether at a dead stop or doing 70 on highway. Have a Gorilla winch installed on front bumper. Not sure if I've developed an airflow problem or if the fan clutch may be going. Temp gauge hasn't changed since installing the winch about 8 months ago (typically dead center). Here's the curve ball - Florida is about as flat as you get. But when driving over bridges / overpasses, A/C temp will drop a few degrees. Confused and sweaty. Any theories, thoughts, or ideas greatly appreciated.

#2 ·
Have a 2006 Unlimited. A/C stopped blowing cold air a couple months ago. Cleaned radiator that was clogged up with off roading souvenirs and had freon checked. Started bowing cold again up until about 2 weeks ago when temp here in Miami started getting real hot. A/C blows cold at night and in morning. Hot air when outside temp rises, regardless of whether at a dead stop or doing 70 on highway. Have a Gorilla winch installed on front bumper. Not sure if I've developed an airflow problem or if the fan clutch may be going. Temp gauge hasn't changed since installing the winch about 8 months ago (typically dead center). Here's the curve ball - Florida is about as flat as you get. But when driving over bridges / overpasses, A/C temp will drop a few degrees. Confused and sweaty. Any theories, thoughts, or ideas greatly appreciated.
Is the compressor running when you are getting the warm air? When the compressor is running lightly touch the suction and discharge lines. One should be warm and the other colder (54ish df minimum). If you do not feel and temperature difference you are not moving freon in the cycle. This can be due to low freon (re-check the freon level again), or the compressor valve failure.

If you are not seeing any increase of engine temp then I believe that you are getting a good air flow across the radiator and condenser coil (winch is not blocking the air that much).

If you feel a differential temp on the compressor the you need to check to insure that the air in the evaporator is correct (air flow inside the vehicle is going thru the cooling section and bypassing the heating).

#8 ·
Tried the water trick a few days ago (my buddy standing on the passenger side of the engine compartment didn't much appreciate it). It definitely cools it off. I'm thinking it's either the fan clutch or a problem with the condenser. Ran it for about an hour today in temps well into the 90s - worked fine. This would make a lot more sense if it just quit working vs. on and off.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.