Buying TJ with hardtop & hard doors, but I want a soft top & half doors - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Buying TJ with hardtop & hard doors, but I want a soft top & half doors

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 10-25-2003, 11:23 PM   #1
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxgksspot

Buying TJ with hardtop & hard doors, but I want a soft top & half doors

I know I can sell or trade the hardtop and hard doors but I will need to buy a soft top frame right? How much is this and where can I get it the cheapest?
Also I want to get half doors and get rid of the hard doors. What will this cost and where do I get them?
Im in Utah so I have plenty of used item options. Is this my best chance? Dealer is gonna take me for a ride if I go through them huh?

Getting a 97 red sport...

Last edited by xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxgksspot; 10-26-2003 at 12:37 AM..
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxgksspot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2003, 11:42 PM   #2
PrfctAggression
Web Wheeler

Go on a road trip to the Northeast in January. You will have little trouble in finding somebody who will swap you their ragtop and half doors plus with some cash for a hard top and full doors.
[COLOR=yellow]Yellow Jeep Club and Redneck Jeep Club member #666 [/COLOR]
PrfctAggression is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2003, 12:35 AM   #3

Im flying to NY to buy it. Then driving it home... maybe there are some local clubs in that area I can advertise the situation... might work.

I want to buy a new top though so I only want a frame. What will that run me?
Unread 10-26-2003, 06:24 AM   #4
blupupher

The only place I know of that sells just frames new is Jeep, but many on this and other forums sell soft tops, frame and all. I would advise you to keep the full doors. They are just to nice and convient to get rid of.
blupupher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2003, 06:47 AM   #5
AgentZed

Why didn't you just buy a Jeep already configured how you want it? Seems like you will be going to a lot more trouble and expense getting the wrong thing, then converting it to what you really wanted.
[b][color=white]White Jeep Club member #101010[/color][/b]
AgentZed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2003, 06:55 AM   #6
blupupher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek
Why didn't you just buy a Jeep already configured how you want it? Seems like you will be going to a lot more trouble and expense getting the wrong thing, then converting it to what you really wanted.
Probably foud a good deal on this one. He is going from Utah to NY to get it.
Unread 10-26-2003, 07:40 AM   #7

Yeah BLUPUPHER is right, the deal is amazing. About $4500 lower then comparable Jeeps around here, and thats without figuring in the 1000 dollar stereo and 700 alarm, still yet to know if its got a Dana44, he doesnt know what that is and I told him to take pics so I can find out. oh and its in great shape.

I dont feel like its a bad thing trading this stuff out cause I know the hardtop is worth more then the soft top and frame on the aftermarket. Same with the hard doors.

I should at LEAST make out even after selling them and that would get me a brand new softop.

Is installing the frame a hard thing to do?

Last edited by xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxgksspot; 10-26-2003 at 07:42 AM..
Unread 10-26-2003, 08:07 AM   #8
JPTJ06
2004 WJ 

97's didn't come with D44 option. How many miles does Jeep have on it. And just wondering what color is the hard top?

97 Sport 5sp, 2"BB w/DT3's, AR-767, 32" Mud Rovers
01 Sport 5sp, stock
03 Rubicon
JPTJ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2003, 08:41 AM   #9
blupupher

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPTJ06
97's didn't come with D44 option. .....
Late 97's did.
Stupid 20 character limit.
Unread 10-26-2003, 08:51 AM   #10
Troubles

Quote:
Originally Posted by blupupher
Late 97's did.
Stupid 20 character limit.
97' didn't offer the dana 44 as an option, just a special oder only
Troubles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2003, 09:05 AM   #11
blupupher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubles
97' didn't offer the dana 44 as an option, just a special oder only
And that is different from an option in what way?
The first few months of the '97 production there was no 44 available at all from Jeep, they then had one available, call it option or special order, there are '97 TJ's with 44 rears.
Unread 10-26-2003, 09:16 AM   #12
PADI_Pro

gksspot, what color is the hardtop? If it's black and in good shape, and you're driving through Indiana on your way home, I'd trade you my black soft top and some cash for your hardtop. I have full doors, and want to keep them, but the cash would get you on the way to getting half doors.

J.

Savin' up for the mods.
PADI_Pro is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.