buying a lift! finally! - now help me choose which one - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > buying a lift! finally! - now help me choose which one

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-28-2010, 12:45 PM   #31
04_Sahara_Man
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
as i stated and pointed you to the thread...you can get a track bar that will bolt right on (Currie TJS from Savvy Offroad). You just need 2" bumpstop extensions in the front so it doesn't hit the diff cover. and on the 2.5" lift, that eliminates all the uptravel you just gained with the lift. or you can retain the stock track bar and utilize the full 8" of travel from the 2.5" lift shocks.
I'm pretty sure from experience you know what your talking about.

In Pennsylvania, fun is illegal
Xbox live GT - TheExecutive00
Tama, Paiste, DW, Zildjian, Vic Firth....yes I go boom boom!
04_Sahara_Man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2010, 12:49 PM   #32
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmilitia View Post
i have a stupid automatic, but i wouldn't think it would be that much differant.

i wouldn't say i beat the crap out of it when im off road, i'm more of a crawler but i do take jeep trails <<not just small gravel roads through the MNTS.>>
My 03' auto on 35's was WAY better than my 5 speed with stock 3.73 gears.I could easily pull highway hills here at 70 mph(OD off on my 4 speed).After finally buying an auto,I'd never buy a 5-6 speed again.I've had them all and never wanted an auto.My bro has a 6 speed with 35's and the auto is much better off the line.
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2010, 01:01 PM   #33
RubiconRazorbac

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyboobear View Post
though I figure if the kit comes with one, it's likely been designed to work with the kit and not hit.
That's some bad figuring. Just because it comes in a "kit" doesn't mean squat. Either the component will work or it won't.

That being said, knowing what you're looking for, you should at least consider the 2.5" OME packages from dpgoffroad. Home Page

Call them and ask for Dirk. He can set you up with the OME suspension you want with the components you're looking for.
My build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/ru...thread-792423/
RubiconRazorbac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2010, 01:07 PM   #34
kennyboobear
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubiconRazorbac View Post
That's some bad figuring. Just because it comes in a "kit" doesn't mean squat. Either the component will work or it won't.

That being said, knowing what you're looking for, you should at least consider the 2.5" OME packages from dpgoffroad. Home Page

Call them and ask for Dirk. He can set you up with the OME suspension you want with the components you're looking for.
I like how you conveniently left out the part where I acknowledged that it's not likely it will work, and if so, whatever, it's not a loss to me as many of my other options don't even offer it. Worse case scenario I can throw the thing on Ebay and reap some of the invested $ back.

That said, am on DPGs site now, will call and ask for Dirk as you stated, appreciate the tip. Am interested in in the Ultimate kit subtract the MML and BL. Thanks again.
[COLOR="DimGray"]SILVER JEEP CLUB MEMBER #46[/COLOR]
[I][B]Get [/B][/I][B][COLOR="DimGray"][URL="http://www.savvyoffroad.com/"]Savvy.[/URL][/COLOR][/B][I][B][/B][/I]

[URL="http://www.facebook.com/SFFCustoms"]SFF Customs[/URL]

[QUOTE=GraKee99;10375372]Driving on snow is a lot like sex, it's a lot of fun but if you don't pay attention, you can really mess up someone's rear end.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Gene Mooneyham]Not to burst your bubble, but California gets worse every year. Liberals, and illegals have ruined any chance California had to get turned around, it's a sinking ship.[/QUOTE]

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/finally-2000-tj-slow-build-very-slow-947018/"]My 2000 Silverstone TJ Build[/URL]
kennyboobear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2010, 01:10 PM   #35
04_Sahara_Man
2004 TJ Wrangler 

If your going LCOG, id get the MML to raise the motor and inch then skid it.
Unread 07-28-2010, 01:15 PM   #36
kennyboobear
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04_Sahara_Man View Post
If your going LCOG, id get the MML to raise the motor and inch then skid it.
That is a plausable option, though right now isn't my main concern as I don't plan on protecting the undercarriage until later on in the build, not due to lack of necessity, but just because there's other things I deem to be slightly more necessary.
[I][B]Get [/B][/I][B][COLOR="DimGray"][URL="http://www.savvyoffroad.com/"]Savvy.[/URL][/COLOR][/B][I][B][/B][/I]

[QUOTE=GraKee99;10375372]Driving on snow is a lot like sex, it's a lot of fun but if you don't pay attention, you can really mess up someone's rear end.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Gene Mooneyham]Not to burst your bubble, but California gets worse every year. Liberals, and illegals have ruined any chance California had to get turned around, it's a sinking ship.[/QUOTE]

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/finally-2000-tj-slow-build-very-slow-947018/"]My 2000 Silverstone TJ Build[/URL]
Unread 07-28-2010, 01:18 PM   #37
04_Sahara_Man
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
That is a plausable option, though right now isn't my main concern as I don't plan on protecting the undercarriage until later on in the build, not due to lack of necessity, but just because there's other things I deem to be slightly more necessary.
i understand get the big stuff first then the little things...i was saying that because its the most important part of the jeep and with LCOG you risk hitting the oilpan on rocks...just dont go playing on large rocks till you get one
Unread 07-28-2010, 01:19 PM   #38
chmo
Web Wheeler
2006 TJ Wrangler 

one more humble suggestion :

regarding your intended CV/SYE combo to avoid the TC drop:
if you know that you never ever are going higher in the rear you should try to buy the rear upper adjustable CAs FIRST ... before buying the CV/SYE stuff.

All you need is setting the rear pinion angle right to avoid vibs ... with a standard shaft you need to pull the top of the rear diff IN after the lift.

If you still have vibs (omitting the TC drop) THEN you can go with CV/SYE and push the top of the rear diff out to get the right CV pininon angle.

(I am still asking myself if I did not over build here ) )
chmo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2010, 01:25 PM   #39
kennyboobear
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chmo View Post
one more humble suggestion :

regarding your intended CV/SYE combo to avoid the TC drop:
if you know that you never ever are going higher in the rear you should try to buy the rear upper adjustable CAs FIRST ... before buying the CV/SYE stuff.

All you need is setting the rear pinion angle right to avoid vibs ... with a standard shaft you need to pull the top of the rear diff IN after the lift.

If you still have vibs (omitting the TC drop) THEN you can go with CV/SYE and push the top of the rear diff out to get the right CV pininon angle.

(I am still asking myself if I did not over build here ) )
Might consider that, ironically why I was really interested when I saw the RC 2.5 x-series kit. Seems like a whole lot of umph for a reasonable price. The shocks are probably crap, but I'd purchase OME struts for it even if they weren't, and I'd still be looking at being under the price tag of the Rancho kit. Also noticed RC makes a 2.5" Long arm, though from what I understand a 2.5" long arm is more or less impractical. Any input on this?

Unread 07-28-2010, 01:28 PM   #40
RubiconRazorbac

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I like how you conveniently left out the part where I acknowledged that it's not likely it will work, and if so, whatever, it's not a loss to me as many of my other options don't even offer it. Worse case scenario I can throw the thing on Ebay and reap some of the invested $ back.

That said, am on DPGs site now, will call and ask for Dirk as you stated, appreciate the tip. Am interested in in the Ultimate kit subtract the MML and BL. Thanks again.
I didn't "conveniently" leave anything out, I just don't see the need to quote an entire post when I'm only addressing one part.

...especially when I'm trying to help a guy out.

Good luck, the DPG guys will take care of you.
My build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/ru...thread-792423/
RubiconRazorbac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2010, 01:44 PM   #41
kennyboobear
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubiconRazorbac View Post
I didn't "conveniently" leave anything out, I just don't see the need to quote an entire post when I'm only addressing one part.

...especially when I'm trying to help a guy out.

Good luck, the DPG guys will take care of you.
if they ever answer their phone lol Didn't mean for my post to sound like I was being ungrateful, because am anything but that. Love the fact that I have a 1/4 million people at my disposal for opinions/advice etc.

On that note, am really taking a liking to this RC X-series 2.5" For the price it seems damn near untouchable, and reviews seem to support that as well. Nonetheless, I'd probably still go for OME or Bilstein struts with it just due to the reliability they have backing them up.

Unread 07-28-2010, 02:25 PM   #42
chmo
Web Wheeler
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Might consider that, ironically why I was really interested when I saw the RC 2.5 x-series kit. Seems like a whole lot of umph for a reasonable price. The shocks are probably crap, but I'd purchase OME struts for it even if they weren't, and I'd still be looking at being under the price tag of the Rancho kit. Also noticed RC makes a 2.5" Long arm, though from what I understand a 2.5" long arm is more or less impractical. Any input on this?
Well ... honestly I do not have first hand experience on RC parts...
But if I interpret the feedback right I would only go with RC if I was on a TIGHT budget ... they might be "partly" justified.
Their springs will sag for sure though...

LA and 2.5" : in my eyes a bit over, LA kits improve control arm angles with EXTREME lifts and add comfort (less stress on mounts) to the ride COMPARED TO SOA ... but cmon : 2.5 inch is NOT extreme enough to justify the hassle in my eyes
Unread 07-28-2010, 02:42 PM   #43
kennyboobear
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chmo View Post
Well ... honestly I do not have first hand experience on RC parts...
But if I interpret the feedback right I would only go with RC if I was on a TIGHT budget ... they might be "partly" justified.
Their springs will sag for sure though...

LA and 2.5" : in my eyes a bit over, LA kits improve control arm angles with EXTREME lifts and add comfort (less stress on mounts) to the ride COMPARED TO SOA ... but cmon : 2.5 inch is NOT extreme enough to justify the hassle in my eyes
Well, from what I've read their older stuff was just that, stuff you buy on a budget expecting it to break.

That said, upon further reading I'm seeing more and more people commending that stoutness of the upper and lower arms, along with the rest of the kit (though I myself am still questioning the overall integrity and longevity of the springs/struts), as well as the customer service experiences they've had.

I also like the fact that their warranty, according to Jeff, is basically, if it does break, we replace it no questions asked. I've yet to see anyone actually take advantage of that on the forum though, not as a result of them not fulfilling their end of the bargain with these new lifts, but instead due to them just not having any breakage. That said I have read a few posts where something was left out or the shop they brought it to didn't install something and RC overnighted the part to them at no additional cost.

As far as the LA goes, that's about what I had figured, appreciate the reinforcement on it though. At this point I'm leaning towards the RC X-Series 2.5", OME Struts and an SYE to start with. Seems as though I can net it all for less still, than the Rancho kit I was originally debating. Thanks yet again!

Unread 07-28-2010, 02:57 PM   #44
madmilitia
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
My 03' auto on 35's was WAY better than my 5 speed with stock 3.73 gears.I could easily pull highway hills here at 70 mph(OD off on my 4 speed).After finally buying an auto,I'd never buy a 5-6 speed again.I've had them all and never wanted an auto.My bro has a 6 speed with 35's and the auto is much better off the line.
awsome then

4 inch tera flex long arem and 35's is my next project after i fix my water pump and fuel pump assembly.
madmilitia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2010, 04:21 PM   #45
chmo
Web Wheeler
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Well, from what I've read their older stuff was just that, stuff you buy on a budget expecting it to break.

That said, upon further reading I'm seeing more and more people commending that stoutness of the upper and lower arms, along with the rest of the kit (though I myself am still questioning the overall integrity and longevity of the springs/struts), as well as the customer service experiences they've had.

I also like the fact that their warranty, according to Jeff, is basically, if it does break, we replace it no questions asked. I've yet to see anyone actually take advantage of that on the forum though, not as a result of them not fulfilling their end of the bargain with these new lifts, but instead due to them just not having any breakage. That said I have read a few posts where something was left out or the shop they brought it to didn't install something and RC overnighted the part to them at no additional cost.

As far as the LA goes, that's about what I had figured, appreciate the reinforcement on it though. At this point I'm leaning towards the RC X-Series 2.5", OME Struts and an SYE to start with. Seems as though I can net it all for less still, than the Rancho kit I was originally debating. Thanks yet again!
You're welcome!
Actually your choice sounds reasonable to me ... If I had the choice and their customer service here in the UAE I would have looked closer on their X-series as well. But do not forget to try to avoid bump stopping too much (choose the right parts, avoid the constraining ones) ... you will love your up travel a LOT when you smoothly speed over terrain where others hop

Tags
ome , rancho , old man emu , lift , suspension , advice , tj , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.