buying a lift! finally! - now help me choose which one - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > buying a lift! finally! - now help me choose which one

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsCurrie

Unread 07-28-2010, 09:17 AM   #1
kennyboobear
2000 TJ Wrangler 

buying a lift! finally! - now help me choose which one

Okay so here's the deal... I finally have a good enough job to have a nice littler surplus of cash to purchase things for my Jeep. I've been set on not exceeding 2.5" so... as of right now the 2 kits I'm eyeing are as follows.

1. The HD OME kit that supports 176lbs of extras + a hard top for $788.85

Pros: Comes more or less complete. Not a whole lot of extra frills with it, nonetheless, I hear people that get it adore it.

Cons: Uses factory control arms, has no brake line extensions, no HD tracbar and no discos.

Conclusion: Seems like a damn good kit, just without a whole lot of extra frills (granted they can be purchased seperately so I can more or less customize my own 2.5" but still...

2. Rancho Rockcrawler Series 2.5" for $1050.99

Pros: Seems to be a very complete kit other than the lack of shocks. Has lower control arms (non adjustable, but new, stronger LCA's just the same.) Also has the brake line extensions, discos and a buncha other little doodads that start adding up fairly quickly. Also has an adjustable HD tracbar which I hear isn't the HIGHEST quality, but it's still better than factory which is a + in my book seeing as I'll be running 34-35" tires under my 2.5" (no body lift.) Another huge plus is if I purchase it with a set of their RS9000XL Shocks (about another 380$ in total if I get them while 4wd isn't having a sale) Rancho is having a promo that if I purchase on or before August 31st, I get a 500$ rebate in the mail (after 8 weeks, which kinda sucks but hey, 500$ is 500$.)

Cons: A transfercase drop instead of an SYE (more of a wishful thinking thing) and it doesn't come with struts. While this allows me to choose whatever struts I want... still kinda sucks because the struts I'll end up aiming for cost half as much as the entire OME kit.

Conclusion: Seems to be a very well built kit, despite the total cost with struts and lift coming to 1442.95$ (with in store pickup because there's a 4wd 2 miles from me.) A slight relief from that is the 500$ rebate, though I have to wait until mid October to see that back... brings the end cost to about 942.95$ (once again, assuming I purchase when there's no sale running on 4wd.)

So I'm slightly vexed here. I love the OME kit for what it can do and overall cost difference being $654.10 before the rebate, course it's only $154.10 after it... which makes me lean more towards the Rancho kit, as I'll be buying an adjustable HD tracbar for the front anyhow. The up front difference will probably lead me to buying an SYE for the OME kit if I do end up going with that one as well... which is another huge + to the OME.

That said, what do you guys think? Option 1 or 2? And why would be another big helper here. I'm always interested in bang for buck, but if the Rancho kit is truly worth the extra up front costs... then I might as well. I can always get an SYE for either kit later on down the road anyhow, so I don't want to make that a deciding factor. Thanks in advance!

[COLOR="DimGray"]SILVER JEEP CLUB MEMBER #46[/COLOR]
[I][B]Get [/B][/I][B][COLOR="DimGray"][URL="http://www.savvyoffroad.com/"]Savvy.[/URL][/COLOR][/B][I][B][/B][/I]

[URL="http://www.facebook.com/SFFCustoms"]SFF Customs[/URL]

[QUOTE=GraKee99;10375372]Driving on snow is a lot like sex, it's a lot of fun but if you don't pay attention, you can really mess up someone's rear end.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Gene Mooneyham]Not to burst your bubble, but California gets worse every year. Liberals, and illegals have ruined any chance California had to get turned around, it's a sinking ship.[/QUOTE]

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/finally-2000-tj-slow-build-very-slow-947018/"]My 2000 Silverstone TJ Build[/URL]

Last edited by kennyboobear; 07-28-2010 at 10:49 AM..
kennyboobear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2010, 10:08 AM   #2
swmlzrd
1997 TJ Wrangler 

are these the only 2 you are considering or are you asking for other considerations
swmlzrd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2010, 10:18 AM   #3
njmjeep
2006 TJ Wrangler 

budget boost and body lift, flat skid, sye, and whatever shocks you want
njmjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2010, 10:27 AM   #4
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyboobear View Post
I've been set on not exceeding 2.5"
Good luck with that one.It never ends.
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2010, 10:44 AM   #5
kennyboobear
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by njmjeep View Post
budget boost and body lift, flat skid, sye, and whatever shocks you want
Not on a budget, would rather do an entire suspension overhaul, and skids are in the cards regardless, but not entirely related to my current impending purchase. Thanks though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
Haha, as I expect it to. That said, I still don't intend on exceeding 2.5" My current plans are in the following order.

Suspension overhaul (includes SYE etc.)
Highline front w/flat fenders (possibly metal cloaks)
Tires and regear
Trim rear full corners to assure tire clearance
lock front and rear (also possible to swap the front with a 44)
belly clearance (skids etc.)

Also thrown in between those various stages I'll be adding my front and rear bumpers, winch and other little wanted/needed accessories.

To the first reply, I'm really open to just about anything, but am not exceeding 2.5" so any input there is fine, but currently I'm trying to decide between the 2 setups I listed.
[I][B]Get [/B][/I][B][COLOR="DimGray"][URL="http://www.savvyoffroad.com/"]Savvy.[/URL][/COLOR][/B][I][B][/B][/I]

[QUOTE=GraKee99;10375372]Driving on snow is a lot like sex, it's a lot of fun but if you don't pay attention, you can really mess up someone's rear end.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Gene Mooneyham]Not to burst your bubble, but California gets worse every year. Liberals, and illegals have ruined any chance California had to get turned around, it's a sinking ship.[/QUOTE]

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/finally-2000-tj-slow-build-very-slow-947018/"]My 2000 Silverstone TJ Build[/URL]
Unread 07-28-2010, 10:55 AM   #6
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Okay so here's the deal... I finally have a good enough job to have a nice littler surplus of cash to purchase things for my Jeep. I've been set on not exceeding 2.5" so... as of right now the 2 kits I'm eyeing are as follows.

1. The HD OME kit that supports 176lbs of extras + a hard top for $788.85

Pros: Comes more or less complete. Not a whole lot of extra frills with it, nonetheless, I hear people that get it adore it.

Cons: Uses factory control arms, has no brake line extensions, no HD tracbar and no discos.

Conclusion: Seems like a damn good kit, just without a whole lot of extra frills (granted they can be purchased seperately so I can more or less customize my own 2.5" but still...
theres nothing wrong with factory control arms...they work for most people. you don't want a front track bar for a 2.5" lift anyway...keep the stock one, modify it as necessary to recenter the axle...whether that be cut/sleeve/weld it, or redrill the hole and reinforce the mount by welding on a plate. all aftermarket front track bars hit the front diff cover and require at least 2" of bumpstop, if not more. as for discos, JKS makes the best ones anyway.

another lift you should look at is RCD's 3" lift. very complete and around the same price as the OME.

btw, if you decide to go OME, don't pay $788...I didn't pay anywhere near that...talk to Rokmen or DPG Off-Road.

Rokmen Gear Up....Rok On
Home Page
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2010, 10:56 AM   #7
04_Sahara_Man
2004 TJ Wrangler 

depending on your jeep, a MML and BL will work instead of a SYE and UCF's new Lopro trans mount would help as well...get the RC 2.5 kit minus the shocks for $199...OME, Bilstein, or other Monotube shocks, MML, BL. that would be a good starting point for a trail capable rig. then upgrade as u feel needs upgrading as you learn and wheel.
In Pennsylvania, fun is illegal
Xbox live GT - TheExecutive00
Tama, Paiste, DW, Zildjian, Vic Firth....yes I go boom boom!
04_Sahara_Man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2010, 11:15 AM   #8
kennyboobear
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
theres nothing wrong with factory control arms...they work for most people. you don't want a front track bar for a 2.5" lift anyway...keep the stock one, modify it as necessary to recenter the axle...whether that be cut/sleeve/weld it, or redrill the hole and reinforce the mount by welding on a plate. all aftermarket front track bars hit the front diff cover and require at least 2" of bumpstop, if not more. as for discos, JKS makes the best ones anyway.

another lift you should look at is RCD's 3" lift. very complete and around the same price as the OME.

btw, if you decide to go OME, don't pay $788...I didn't pay anywhere near that...talk to Rokmen or DPG Off-Road.

Rokmen Gear Up....Rok On
Home Page
Good advice, though not interested in exceeding 2.5" As for the price goes, I figure the convenience of in store pickup will be worth the difference of shipping costs etc. anyhow, though I'll check with DPG and Rokmen anyways and see what they can offer. JKS does make the best ones, but I'm not spending that much on something so simple, and lastly, the convenience of having an adjustable trackbar for me is worth it as I don't have a welder.

That said I'll phone up Rokmen on my lunch break today and see what they can throw my way. Appreciate it

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04_Sahara_Man View Post
depending on your jeep, a MML and BL will work instead of a SYE and UCF's new Lopro trans mount would help as well...get the RC 2.5 kit minus the shocks for $199...OME, Bilstein, or other Monotube shocks, MML, BL. that would be a good starting point for a trail capable rig. then upgrade as u feel needs upgrading as you learn and wheel.
As stated in my prior post, not interested in doing any form of body lift, nor am I interested in exceeding 2.5". That said I am thoroughly interested in RC's 2.5" X Series lift, as it has both upper and lower adjustable control arms, which is mighty sexy in my book, and for a bit less than the rancho kit. Also has discos and a trackbar, rear trackbar bracket etc. And it comes with shocks, or as you stated I'm sure I could contact them and order it minus the struts... In the end though, I'm keeping my COG as low as possible (yea, I'm one of those.....) while trimming/cutting as much as I can to clear and allow as much usable droop as possible so I can have a very capable rig, but still retain the normal functionality of a more or less stock DD. The 35's will be enough to clear any obstacle on the trails/lines I take or intend on taking.

Have been wheeling it regularly on the stock setup, some light rock crawling, lot of trailing between here (Oklahoma) the North GA Mountains (beasley knob to be precise) and a few places in Colorado/Texas and of course, back in muddy Louisiana (I hate mud btw) so I have a pretty firm idea of what exactly I want, and why I want it. Just an issue of finding the right setup to get me there now. Thanks for the input, now may I ask who you'd reccomend as an RC vendor?

Unread 07-28-2010, 11:22 AM   #9
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Good advice, though not interested in exceeding 2.5" As for the price goes, I figure the convenience of in store pickup will be worth the difference of shipping costs etc. anyhow, though I'll check with DPG and Rokmen anyways and see what they can offer. JKS does make the best ones, but I'm not spending that much on something so simple, and lastly, the convenience of having an adjustable trackbar for me is worth it as I don't have a welder.

That said I'll phone up Rokmen on my lunch break today and see what they can throw my way. Appreciate it
Shipping costs hundreds of dollars? On my kit it was free...

You gotta realize, regardless of manufacturer, 2.5" is an advertised lift height...you might get 2.5", you might get 1.5", you might get 3"...all depends on the weight and configuration of your rig.

On the front track bar - whats a bigger hassle? Running the stock track bar with some minor mods, or running an aftermarket track bar that smashes into the diff cover, damaging the frame mount, diff cover and limits your uptravel by 3"?

I still suggest looking at RCD...the most complete kit out there. And without starting another Rough Country argument...do some research...lots of reviews on here...see if you're cool with buying two kits
Unread 07-28-2010, 11:42 AM   #10
kennyboobear
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
Shipping costs hundreds of dollars? On my kit it was free...

You gotta realize, regardless of manufacturer, 2.5" is an advertised lift height...you might get 2.5", you might get 1.5", you might get 3"...all depends on the weight and configuration of your rig.

On the front track bar - whats a bigger hassle? Running the stock track bar with some minor mods, or running an aftermarket track bar that smashes into the diff cover, damaging the frame mount, diff cover and limits your uptravel by 3"?

I still suggest looking at RCD...the most complete kit out there. And without starting another Rough Country argument...do some research...lots of reviews on here...see if you're cool with buying two kits
I'm aware of the advertised lift height issue, which is why I'm a big fan of the OME kit, as it's designed to consistently give 2.5" and not sag after being broken in/weighed down. Have read enough reviews on it, and seen it on plenty of highly weighed down rigs to be confident in it as a final option.

The Rancho kit I'm not entirely positive on as I haven't read a whole lot on it, but have seen it in action on a few other people's LCG rigs on the forum, and it seems very capable (also considering it's been on said people's rigs for more than 2 years now without an issue of sag etc.) Either way, 35's are doable with no lift whatsoever with a highline and a buttload of trimming front and back, so the added overhaul of the entire suspension system plus a bit more clearance should be more than enough to get me where I want to go.

As far as the trackbar goes, I think you missed the part where I said I don't have the appropriate tools to readily weld mine back together. If the one it comes with doesn't fit properly, I'll worry about it then, but until then it's an added bonus.

That aside, I'm assuming based on your reply, RC doesn't have the best reliability record, which is probably why people like 4wd, 4wp, and quadratec don't carry their stuff, though I'll do a little more independant research and see the outcome of that as well.

While RCD makes a seemingly good kit for the money (and the inclusion of Bilstein struts, I'm really not interested at all with exceeding 2.5" and whereas you stated above that advertised lift could be greater or less than (something I'm aware of) I could very well get 4" out of it which would put me WAY beyond where I want to be, but thanks again anyhow.

Still am interested to see what people think of the two kits I have in my OP, especially from people using, or know someone using, either currently or previously. Thanks.

Unread 07-28-2010, 11:42 AM   #11
04_Sahara_Man
2004 TJ Wrangler 

if you do go the 2.5" way...your gonna be wanting a bl in the future...plus you'd be able to run TT (even though there are ones out there that don't require one). So whats with not exceeding the 2.5" mark?
In Pennsylvania, fun is illegal
Xbox live GT - TheExecutive00
Tama, Paiste, DW, Zildjian, Vic Firth....yes I go boom boom!
04_Sahara_Man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2010, 11:57 AM   #12
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
He's right. I thought I'd be content with a 2 inch lift and 31s. I'll be adding a 1.25 inch BL and 33s in the near future

Stupid Jeeps.
Unread 07-28-2010, 11:58 AM   #13
kennyboobear
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04_Sahara_Man View Post
if you do go the 2.5" way...your gonna be wanting a bl in the future...plus you'd be able to run TT (even though there are ones out there that don't require one). So whats with not exceeding the 2.5" mark?
Not gonna be wanting a BL.... ever, actually. BL helps you clear tires, that's literally about it, while it also raises your COG, and am not interested in doing that. If I want to clear tires, I can trim, that's why I went with full rear corners and will be flat fendering/high lining the front. And BL or not, I'll be able to run TT. rs4race's rig is a prime example of exactly what I'm looking for in my setup, with the exception of me having rear full corners, so I don't have to concern myself with trimming my factory flares.

This is with a Rough Country 2.5" and no BL or MML. He's running an almost indentical setup to what I want/desire with a few small exceptions.

To be very simple, I don't want to exceed 2.5" because, for one, I don't have to in order to have a capable rig, and for two, I prefer the look of a lower stance, yet having more belly clearance than someone who runs, say 3.5-4" of lift with 33's and the benefit of axle clearance offered by 35s. Finally, it's a DD, I don't want to be up there with big rigs and suburbans etc. I enjoy hitting trails with people that have huge rigs and seeing the look on their face after I do things they can't. A lot of it is driver, a lot of it is simply recognizing needs versus aesthetic appeal. Most people have the misconception that bigger is always better, when in many cases it's tomato tamahta. Hope that helps you understand a bit better as to why I don't intend on going above 2.5"

Unread 07-28-2010, 11:59 AM   #14
kennyboobear
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006_Sport View Post
He's right. I thought I'd be content with a 2 inch lift and 31s. I'll be adding a 1.25 inch BL and 33s in the near future

Stupid Jeeps.
lol touche, though the difference is I won't need the extra lift to fit my 35's

Unread 07-28-2010, 12:04 PM   #15
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
As far as the trackbar goes, I think you missed the part where I said I don't have the appropriate tools to readily weld mine back together. If the one it comes with doesn't fit properly, I'll worry about it then, but until then it's an added bonus.
You don't have a hand drill? You don't have a hardware store in your town?
You don't have a muffler shop or welding shop in your town?

Thats two ways to fix it that don't involve you doing any welding.

Start reading: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/tj...it-fit-738948/

Quote:
That aside, I'm assuming based on your reply, RC doesn't have the best reliability record, which is probably why people like 4wd, 4wp, and quadratec don't carry their stuff, though I'll do a little more independant research and see the outcome of that as well.
stay away from 4-wheel parts, 4wd and Quadratrash at all times. they're idiots and will screw up your order for months, then charge you for it, and take half the company's profit on that item.

Quote:
Still am interested to see what people think of the two kits I have in my OP, especially from people using, or know someone using, either currently or previously. Thanks.
I have my comments here: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/un...-build-778715/

Tags
ome , rancho , old man emu , lift , suspension , advice , tj , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.