buying jeep on saturday (seatbelt issue, rust, and possible things to check) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > buying jeep on saturday (seatbelt issue, rust, and possible things to check)

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippDan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 01-03-2008, 08:05 PM   #1
ben8jam
2000 TJ Wrangler 

buying jeep on saturday (seatbelt issue, rust, and possible things to check)

well, technically i've already bought - put a deposit down with the seller so i can come back on saturday and pick it up - this will be my second jeep - first was a 98 SE - which treated me really well untill someone rear ended it at 70mph when it was parked - i'm sure you've all seen the pic by now, but here it is again anyway

the new one is a 2000 Sport - with 31" tires - and only 45,000 miles - nice little upgrade - quite a difference in ride - big difference between the feel of the I4 and the I6 - the I6 feels rumbly - if that's even a word

here are some pics

have a couple questions...

1. the seat belts don't lock when you pull down on them... arn't they supposed to?

2. does this look like alot of rust to ya'll?

3. anything i should goto the mechanic with to check out? she has been the only owner and and most of the mechnical records - and not much has ever been done to it - wonder what might be due

thanks

and it's good to be back in the jeep world

Last edited by ben8jam; 01-03-2008 at 08:21 PM..
ben8jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2008, 08:07 PM   #2
Jeepster55

"V6"???

someone do an engine swap?
Jeepster55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2008, 08:22 PM   #3
ben8jam
2000 TJ Wrangler 

heh... all fixed
Unread 01-03-2008, 08:23 PM   #4
97casteeltj
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepster55
"V6"???

someone do an engine swap?
what do you mean?? its a Sport they are standard with a 4.0L
Unread 01-03-2008, 08:26 PM   #5
Ronnie4283
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Heh "V6". Anyhow, that appears to be surface rust, but a quick scrap with a screwdriver would tell you. The I6 is pretty notorious for front and rear main seal leaks. I'd suggest checking the conditions of all your fluids for dirt of metal fragaments (front and rear diffs, transmission, transfer case, brake fluid, etc).
Unread 01-03-2008, 08:46 PM   #6
hecubus
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97casteeltj
what do you mean?? its a Sport they are standard with a 4.0L
the 4.0 is an "inline" 6, not a v-6
Unread 01-03-2008, 08:47 PM   #7
hecubus
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben8jam
well, technically i've already bought - put a deposit down with the seller so i can come back on saturday and pick it up - this will be my second jeep - first was a 98 SE - which treated me really well untill someone rear ended it at 70mph when it was parked - i'm sure you've all seen the pic by now, but here it is again anyway

the new one is a 2000 Sport - with 31" tires - and only 45,000 miles - nice little upgrade - quite a difference in ride - big difference between the feel of the I4 and the I6 - the I6 feels rumbly - if that's even a word

here are some pics

have a couple questions...

1. the seat belts don't lock when you pull down on them... arn't they supposed to?

2. does this look like alot of rust to ya'll?

3. anything i should goto the mechanic with to check out? she has been the only owner and and most of the mechnical records - and not much has ever been done to it - wonder what might be due

thanks

and it's good to be back in the jeep world
trying the click free thing & no, looks like normal surface rust
Unread 01-03-2008, 10:22 PM   #8
ben8jam
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie4283
Heh "V6". Anyhow, that appears to be surface rust, but a quick scrap with a screwdriver would tell you. The I6 is pretty notorious for front and rear main seal leaks. I'd suggest checking the conditions of all your fluids for dirt of metal fragaments (front and rear diffs, transmission, transfer case, brake fluid, etc).
yeh - you can see some black leakage on that pic. gonna have that checked out - i wouldn't know how to check the fluid for gunk. it would all looking gunky to me...

btw. what do you think about the seat belts? odd that none of them lock when yanking on them hard... though i seem to remember my old ones doing that...?

Last edited by ben8jam; 01-03-2008 at 10:34 PM..
Unread 01-04-2008, 04:05 AM   #9
truckin88
2006 TJ Wrangler 

i like it, normal underside for a 7 year old truck (jeep)...If I was gonna buy it, first things I would do are..oil change, air filter, plugs, wires, differential fluids, t-case fluids, trans fluid...most of this is pretty cheap and preventative maintence.

RED JEEP CLUB MEMBER #442
truckin88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2008, 04:28 AM   #10
glenno
1990 YJ Wrangler 

yea

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckin88
i like it, normal underside for a 7 year old truck (jeep)...If I was gonna buy it, first things I would do are..oil change, air filter, plugs, wires, differential fluids, t-case fluids, trans fluid...most of this is pretty cheap and preventative maintence.
what he said
glenno is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2008, 05:39 AM   #11
ChadCielencki
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I would make them put front tow hooks and fog lights on it...and sell it as a sport...
Unread 01-04-2008, 06:02 AM   #12
truckin88
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadCielencki
I would make them put front tow hooks and fog lights on it...and sell it as a sport...

all those are optional, and if it is not from a dealer, then whats the point of passing on a clean jeep, tow hooks can be added for under $100, fog lights...the heck with mopar/hellas, get metal KC's

RED JEEP CLUB MEMBER #442
truckin88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2008, 07:32 AM   #13
ASUsax
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Rust doesn't look too bad, Jeep's probably not lived it's whole life in LA, though, it's been up north at some point, or in the high country, to get that much rust. But it's still looks like only surface rust, not a big deal.

If the seatbelts don't work properly, they're pretty Cheap and really easy to replace. I replaced my Passenger side recently, it wouldn't retract. I think it cost me $65 for the whole shebang.
Blue Jeep Club Member #197
'02 TJ - 33" BFG MT's's, some armor, yadda yadda. 2" BDS lift/1"BL
'94 ZJ - May it rest in pieces.
ASUsax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2008, 10:37 AM   #14
ben8jam
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASUsax
Rust doesn't look too bad, Jeep's probably not lived it's whole life in LA, though, it's been up north at some point, or in the high country, to get that much rust. But it's still looks like only surface rust, not a big deal.

If the seatbelts don't work properly, they're pretty Cheap and really easy to replace. I replaced my Passenger side recently, it wouldn't retract. I think it cost me $65 for the whole shebang.
actually it's lived its whole life in LA - though right next to the ocean - so i'm assuming the salt air did that - she said it's been rained in a few times too - i checked under all the carpets and looks fine - no body rust (well, the hinge for the windshield is rusty and paint crumbley, odd that that's the only spot )

as for the seat belts, can someone confirm that they are supposed to lock when pulled on? or only lock when slamming on brakes?

btw. thanks to whoever updated my title - i actually tried to do that once i had posted it but couldn't...
Unread 01-04-2008, 11:05 AM   #15
MusicMaverick
2010 JK Wrangler 

Looks like just surface rust. That's not too much concern, maybe when you want to unbolt something you might need to spray it down, but that's all. The rust you want to be concerned about is when its actually rotting. I live in LA too btw,

They should only lock when brakes are applied.

Past vehicles:
1992 YJ
1997 TJ
MusicMaverick is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.