Burning Differential Oil-Is the dealer to blame? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Burning Differential Oil-Is the dealer to blame?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 05-30-2009, 09:09 PM   #1
jcp_56
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Burning Differential Oil-Is the dealer to blame?

I started having differential problems this past week in my 98 Sahara. The Differential is running hot, grinding, and ultimately burning oil. (burning so bad that you can smell it while driving down the road). I pulled the plug and the oil has broken down to the consistency of water and is black as tar. I pulled my receipts from when I had the dealer do some service in my differential 6 months ago, I pulled the part number that they had listed on that receipt and noticed that they used synthetic 75W-140 and did not put the additive in. Anyone know if that synthetic oil without the additive would cause these problems. Because I am pretty sure that my rear end is completely trashed at this point and if the dealer is to blame for this they will most definitely get an ear full on Monday morning when they open.

jcp_56 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-30-2009, 09:52 PM   #2
2000jeeper
2000 TJ Wrangler 

No the lack of the additive is not the cause more then likely. What was done by the dealer 6 mths ago? Sounds as if you have a bearing failure.
2000jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-31-2009, 11:09 AM   #3
Pillswoj
1999 TJ Wrangler 

X2 on the bearing failure and most synthetic diff oils already contain a NS additive.
Unread 05-31-2009, 12:23 PM   #4
Boodyrider
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Additive is for limited slip diffs. Synthetic either contains additive or additive is not needed if you have open diff. You have a bearing failure... and dealer is not to blame.

Ever been through a stream or mud? YOU are to blame. give yourself an earful.

Also... consider getting the axle tube seals with the o-rings and double lips to keep mud/dust etc out of the tubes, it's a common problem for stock front axles. the stock setup is just a plastic disc that MIGHT keep gravel out on a good day, but will never keeep mud or water out. (Axle tube seal different than oil seal...)

84 CJ7; frame off restoration in progress.

The technical advice you get from me here is worth exactly what you paid me for it. Warranty issues will be reimbursed at double what you paid me for the advice.
Boodyrider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-31-2009, 01:13 PM   #5
jcp_56
1998 TJ Wrangler 

No I've never been through a stream or mud. It's my daily driver and I don't exactly have the $$ to fix it by doing a lot of off-roading, so I tend to stay away from the trails. The reason I took it to the dealer is because I had a to replace my fuel pump, and I also had a slight leak with my rear differential so I asked them to look at it while they had it in the garage. Turns out that the reason for the leak was the differential plug needed to be replaced. they replaced the leaking plug and serviced my rear differential to kill two birds with one stone. also, thanks for everyone that posted's help.
Unread 06-03-2009, 08:04 PM   #6
jcp_56
1998 TJ Wrangler 

so I took it to the dealer, they admitted fault (told me that they did not add the friction modifier causing the lube to break down from heat. once the lube broke down the barings and gears ended up getting chewed up). The dealer can not fix it because they are on the Chrysler close list due to be shut down on June 9. They did however, recommend me to another Jeep dealer that was not shutting down, but would not fix the mistake for free since it was not their dealer that did the damage. The new Jeep dealer quoted me a price of $2900 for parts, plus labor and freight. They wanted to replace the rear end with a used one (because they didnt know if the axle was ruined), the only used one they could find was located in CA, I live in GA. So, I decided to take it to a powertrain expert in my area that does work for Dana. They quoted me a price of $1500 covering parts, labor and freight. After tearing my differential down they determined that all the guts needed to be replaced, and my axles were still good.
Unread 06-03-2009, 08:10 PM   #7
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Sue them?

Seriously, keep ragging the dealer that ruined your stuff. Getting them to admit fault is usually the hardest part.
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2009, 09:57 PM   #8
Stu Olson
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp_56 View Post
so I took it to the dealer, they admitted fault (told me that they did not add the friction modifier causing the lube to break down from heat. once the lube broke down the barings and gears ended up getting chewed up). The dealer can not fix it because they are on the Chrysler close list due to be shut down on June 9. They did however, recommend me to another Jeep dealer that was not shutting down, but would not fix the mistake for free since it was not their dealer that did the damage. The new Jeep dealer quoted me a price of $2900 for parts, plus labor and freight. They wanted to replace the rear end with a used one (because they didnt know if the axle was ruined), the only used one they could find was located in CA, I live in GA. So, I decided to take it to a powertrain expert in my area that does work for Dana. They quoted me a price of $1500 covering parts, labor and freight. After tearing my differential down they determined that all the guts needed to be replaced, and my axles were still good.
The friction modifier is to prevent the clutch plates in the factory limited slip differential from chattering. It has nothing to do with the preventing the gear oil from breaking down. If it did, then I would have been replacing dozens of rear axles by now since I never add friction modifier.

Basically, your dealer is an idiot....IMHO. Sorry to hear you are getting so screwed. But since the dealer believes he is at fault, get it in writing and then go see a lawyer.....see what your options are.
Stu Olson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2009, 12:13 AM   #9
2000jeeper
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Olson View Post
The friction modifier is to prevent the clutch plates in the factory limited slip differential from chattering. It has nothing to do with the preventing the gear oil from breaking down. If it did, then I would have been replacing dozens of rear axles by now since I never add friction modifier.

Basically, your dealer is an idiot....IMHO. Sorry to hear you are getting so screwed. But since the dealer believes he is at fault, get it in writing and then go see a lawyer.....see what your options are.
X2 very much agreed. I used to work on axles when i was a tech for a jeep dealer. Lack of friction modifier wil not cause the oil to break down.
2000jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2009, 01:32 AM   #10
eshew
1993 ZJ 

start hitting up craigslist and junkyards. Should be able to find a replacement axle for a few hundered dollars. Takes a few hours to put in, easy and faster then trying to get a dealer to warranty anything.
eshew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2009, 02:30 AM   #11
CO_crawler
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I would contact the dealer again that is responsible for the problem. You could threaten lawsuit, have any lawyer friends? I would pop the diff cover drain it, rtv'er up and fill with some Royal Purple 75w-90. Should be fine. Is it a D35 or Dana 44? My D44 was grinding a bit rough, checked and was almost empty for dont know how long. Dumped rest of fluid and added royal purple 75w-90 (already has friction modifier) No more problems and runs quiet. Good luck.

87 XJ Laredo(sold) 98 ZJ limited(sold) 97 TJ Sport(totalled) 98 XJ Classic(totalled)

99 TJ Sahara----->I AM BACK TJer's
-JKS quicker discos, AC fire prevention mod, 31x10.50x15 Trxus M/T's, OME 2.5 HD kit
CO_crawler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2009, 11:07 PM   #12
Cowboy1629
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I think I would contact the Chrysler regional rep and tell him/her what is going on and see if they will do anything first. But like others have said lack of additive didn't cause the problem.
()_)-()_)--o-)_)

[I][B]...[URL="http://www.indyorv.com"]IndyORV[/URL]...[/B][/I]
Cowboy1629 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.