Bunch of questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Bunch of questions

Light up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 07-05-2007, 07:41 PM   #1
Crunchy
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Bunch of questions

Hey everyone, I introduced myself in the intro section along with asking a bunch questions. People told me I should direct my questions to this section. If you haven't seen the thread, I'm looking purchase a TJ in a few months and I have some questions about them so I copied the questions from that thread to this:

I joined to learn as much as possible about TJ's so I know I get exactly what I want when I make the purchase, and of course stick around and possibly meet some of you offroaders on the trails. Pretty much right now Ive been looking at all the different trims and trying to find out what options each one comes with. I did some searching and found some links to help explain the trims to me. All I know what exists are the SE, X, Sport, Sahara, Rubicon, Columbia Ed., Rocky Mountain Ed., and Freedom Ed. If I left any out let me know so I can find out about it.

I'm pretty much going to go for a Rubicon, but I haven't decided if I want to spend 20k on a car yet. If I don't I'm just going to find a 4.0L with full frame doors in a auto. in either red, black, orange, yellow, or bright green. (Pretty much I want a bright color). I really like that rocky mountain edition too! And looking for automatics is weird to me since Ive never owned one. I just figure an auto is better for pulling a wave runner and I also wouldn't have to worry about shifting when I'm driving over stuff.

I did come across some things during some searching and now I have some questions. The big question I have is on differentials. I'm trying find what trims come with what differentials and I'm trying to get an idea of how they apply in a offroading sense. I know in cars the higher the gear ratio in the diff. the faster the car will accelerate but the lower the top speed will be, but not sure what is good for offroading and pulling. First can someone explain to me about the differentials? Like what makes a Dana 41 better or worse than a Dana 44. I'm assuming a 44 is stronger but does it produce more torque and better for offroading? What are the better gear ratios to have for offroading. Can you put in different gears to get different ratios for the Dana 44 or other diff or is there only one size/ratio for each diff?

Secondly what is the purpose of obtaining a build sheet from jeep about your vehicle. Is it something that just lists what all the options and parts were installed on your jeep from the day of purchase? I came across this thought this was interesting.

Then do these trims: Sport, Sahara, X, Rubicon come with ABS and limited slips. If they do not how can I tell when I'm looking at the jeep if it has these items if the dealer does not know. Also how can I tell which differential it comes with because if I believe correctly you can order the Dana 44 as an option with the sport. What does the sport normally come with? Thanks in advance.

Crunchy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-05-2007, 08:22 PM   #2
rubicon35
2004 TJ Wrangler 

rubicons come with dana 44s front and rear. They also have locking diffs. Saharas come with the rear dana 44 which i believe also gets a limited slip. All others i believe come with rear dana 35s and front dana 30s. If you plan on lifting and putting larger tires(like 35's) on and being rough on the truck buy a Rubicon, it will save you money in the long run, if only going to go a little bigger(33's and under) and just simple trails go with one of the other models. The dana 44s are stronger than the others. You are also correct on the gear ratio. The higher the number the more torqy it is and less top speed. you want a fairly high gear for offroading. You can change all diffs to different gears.
rubicon35 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-05-2007, 08:24 PM   #3
dogbluedrummer
Trust me....

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Full doors and auto - good choices!
Make sure you get a Dana 44 rear diff. You can tell by the oil plug. Metal is a D44, rubber is a Dana 35.
The D44 is much stronger than the D35. As such, it can handle bigger tires and more aggressive wheeling.
As for gears, someone will probably correct me, but most D44's came with 3.73 or 4.10 in the auto. Changing gears will cost you $2,000 in parts and labor. For an auto, stick with 3.73 up to a 31" tire. For 33" tires, you should run 4.10. For 35" tires, you need 4.56. As the tires get bigger, your acceleration, mpg, and braking power get reduced considerably. Same gear suggestions apply to the D35, but we already talked about not getting one of those.

Here are some good FAQ's you should read.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23782

For build sheets, click below. All you need is the VIN.
http://www.jeep.com/wccsapp/universa...ull&category=U
Everything I need to fix on the heep: ABS indicator, speed 4 on the blower fan, torn softop over driver's head, both seat release/tilt cables, missing center cap on spare, broken under hood light, wire up the CB, wiring problem with the reverse lights, broken bottle jack, leaky front and rear pinion seals, loose trackbar relocation bracket, torn drivers seat on the side, broken center console lock, lost nuts for door hinges, squeaking centering ball, loose parking brake cable, oil change and rotate the tires.
My build threadhttp://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/free-wife-good-home-pics-included-528892/
dogbluedrummer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-05-2007, 08:25 PM   #4
dspgajeep
2013 JK Wrangler 

I would consider buying a used jeep. You can get a used Rubicon for well under the $20k level you mentioned.
Unread 07-05-2007, 08:42 PM   #5
rubicon35
2004 TJ Wrangler 

2k for gears??????? where are you going. it should be well under 1000. if you add lockers or limited slips in then your looking at that much. should be around 600-800 to change gears
Unread 07-05-2007, 08:49 PM   #6
Scotch740
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Get an Unlimited! Wether it be a Unlimited sport or Rubicon just get an Unlimited. You will be so much happier if you will be using it as you DD or taking long trips in it. The extra space is the best part but it does ride better because of the added wheel base. If you are choosing over a Rubi or Unlimited because of price go with the Unlimited cause you can always make it as good if not better than a Rubicon. But its harder But doable to stretch the body. Plus you can tow 1500lbs more. All Unlimited have a D44 and I think most if not all have LSD in the 44.
Scotch740 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-05-2007, 08:53 PM   #7
Crunchy
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I do plan on doing a good amount of offroading, not really sure what some consider extensive
I do plan on buying a used jeep. The main reason is that I really want that straight 4.0L. They are really reliable and I dont trust the 3.8 minivan engine yet. It needs to be in the jeep for while to prove itself. Thanks for the answers so far.

Last edited by Crunchy; 04-26-2010 at 10:18 PM..
Unread 07-05-2007, 08:59 PM   #8
Crunchy
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Oh does anybody know if all the models come with limited slips and if they dont how can I find out if they do or dont.

I did hear once that the longerwheel base is actually better for offroading, but I cant remember their reason why. My daily is still going to be the Toyota.

Last edited by Crunchy; 04-26-2010 at 10:16 PM..
Unread 07-05-2007, 09:16 PM   #9
Scotch740
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchy
Oh does anybody know if all the models come with limited slips and if they dont how can I find out if they do or dont.

I did hear once that the longerwheel base is actually better for offroading, but I cant remember their reason why. My daily is still going to be the Toyota. Its just starting to get threw half of its life at 100k! Arent the back seats removable. Cause I would just take that out or fold it back for gear. Lol dont have kids yet to need a back seat for traveling.
Some have a tag on the diff some people have a sticker in or around the glove box telling them to put in an addative. I had neither but jacked up the rear end and spun one tire forwards and the other spun forward. IF it was open one would spin backwards.

The longer wheel base has helped and hurt off road. my trailer hitch is always dragging but it gets really bad with 4 people + gear. It does keep me out of the same ruts as other SWB jeeps are in and it kinda lets my front "reach" further up an obsticle.
Scotch740 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-05-2007, 10:26 PM   #10
Alcoholcamel
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchy
...The thing that sucks is most rubicons I see for sale are that kacki color or silver...
To each his own they say, or something like that? I kinda like my Light Khaki Metallic paint job. J/K, I know, I saw you want a "bright color". Good luck with your choice.
Alcoholcamel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-05-2007, 10:33 PM   #11
jeeptrix
2009 JK Wrangler 

http://coloradok5.com/axleguide.shtml

that there should tell you what kind of axle it has. I have an 01 sport in Yellow (yes I know be jealous of my yellow color ) and it has the Dana 44 rear axle. You just have to look and see. Not only rubicons and sahara's have it.
jeeptrix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2007, 03:59 PM   #12
rubicon35
2004 TJ Wrangler 

if you look hard enough you can find a great deal on a rubi. I just got mine 2 weeks ago. Its a bone stock 2004 Rubi red in color. It has 42k miles and i got it for 16k. Great deal because all i could find at the dealers was around 20k for a comparable truck. Its also great because the kid i bought it from didnt even know it had lockers and he said it had been in 4wd like 5 times on some dirt trails!!!!!! Good luck and dont settle for something you dont want. jUST KEEP LOOKING.
Unread 07-07-2007, 05:16 PM   #13
aszalan
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon35
rubicons come with dana 44s front and rear. They also have locking diffs. Saharas come with the rear dana 44 which i believe also gets a limited slip. All others i believe come with rear dana 35s and front dana 30s. If you plan on lifting and putting larger tires(like 35's) on and being rough on the truck buy a Rubicon, it will save you money in the long run, if only going to go a little bigger(33's and under) and just simple trails go with one of the other models. The dana 44s are stronger than the others. You are also correct on the gear ratio. The higher the number the more torqy it is and less top speed. you want a fairly high gear for offroading. You can change all diffs to different gears.
Excluding the Rubicon, the Dana 44 is optional on sport, sahara and late X models.

http://www.jeepiki.com/wiki/index.php/TJ_Wrangler#Trim
aszalan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2007, 05:38 PM   #14
robncar
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Here's another vote for starting with a Rubicon. D44's at both ends with lockers will save a ton of money later on when you start to upgrade. Although I have a Sport with the Dana 44 rear, I spent a ton of money on upgrading axles and adding lockers. I went to a "big spline" kit on my Dana 30 front to be able to run 35" tires. The x-fer case in the Rubi (NP241) is also 4.0:1, not 2.72:1 (NP231) like in a Sport, Sahara, X, etc. This lower (higher numerically) ratio will allow you to better crawl over obstacles. The Rubicon starts out with 4.10 axle ratios, the Sports like mine have 3.73's; I went to 4.88's to run the 35" tires. With the Dana 30 front, I could NOT go to a 5.13 gear but it would have been a great combo with the auto trans and over drive. The D44 front in the Rubi can run a 5.13 gear. I also like your choice of an auto trans.

You should know up front that this can become an addictive habbit, the upgrading that is. It's best to sit down and really think about where you want to be as you build, and you will build, and start with a platform that will save you money as you go.

Best of luck with your search!
robncar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2007, 05:41 PM   #15
john NC
1979 CJ5 

if i could buy mine again i would have gotten a rubicon unlimited
john NC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.