bumpstops, shock length, and tires size. help me iron out the fuzzy points.. - Page 9 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > bumpstops, shock length, and tires size. help me iron out the fuzzy points..

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-19-2011, 10:38 PM   #121
asknight
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragginwagon406 View Post
And also for the Rancho 999255?
The 255 is 15.88 collapsed length. It will bottom before a 2" bumpstop extension will. You need 2.5" bumpstops at a minimum.

asknight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2011, 02:06 PM   #122
BlackSCRunner
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I ended up picking up some shocks for a JK, which if my measurements are correct, should work for my 2" suspension lift. They may require some minor modification, but I think it's worth a try for the price of admission. I'll update with specs and results.
BlackSCRunner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2011, 10:13 PM   #123
J03_TJ
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

I was hoping to get some help here. I had my rear shock mounts replaced to get rid of those extensions (shown on my old mount below) and from what I see the shop moved my mounting point up from stock by over an inch. Don't know what they were thinking, maybe to give me some more clearance? Anyway I have Rancho 9000X p/n rs99256 on the back and am thinking of getting a new set. Looks to me like I need lots more up travel. I see above that the rs999241 ones will give me more, but I don't think it will be enough. Does it look like I should take it back to the shop after two years and have my axle re welded on?? I already have what apear to be 2 1/2" bumpstop extensions installed, don't know that I want to add more??

These are the numbers I found for the old "pre XL" 9000 ones I have.

"RS99256 Measures extended length is 24.58" and collapsed is 14.8". "

Can anyone give me some guidance with this??
old-mount-extension.jpg   new-mount.jpg   shock-travel.jpg   rear-bumpstop.jpg  
J03_TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2011, 07:05 PM   #124
mudb8
want it rite or rite now?

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by J03_TJ View Post
I was hoping to get some help here. I had my rear shock mounts replaced to get rid of those extensions (shown on my old mount below) and from what I see the shop moved my mounting point up from stock by over an inch. Don't know what they were thinking, maybe to give me some more clearance? Anyway I have Rancho 9000X p/n rs99256 on the back and am thinking of getting a new set. Looks to me like I need lots more up travel. I see above that the rs999241 ones will give me more, but I don't think it will be enough. Does it look like I should take it back to the shop after two years and have my axle re welded on?? I already have what apear to be 2 1/2" bumpstop extensions installed, don't know that I want to add more??

These are the numbers I found for the old "pre XL" 9000 ones I have.

"RS99256 Measures extended length is 24.58" and collapsed is 14.8". "

Can anyone give me some guidance with this??

what I'm seeing is RE's shock relocation mounts.... The RE mounts are designed for that shock length but are intended for the 5.5" lift. if you rotate the RE mounts down anymore, you'll be right back to square one and have the shock bodies getting damaged by the spring perches and springs.

You need a completely different mount, If you make some of the DIY mounts in my other thread, the 14.8" shock will work fine, I made the mounts I use specifically to run 14.5" collapsed length, 24.5" extended shocks on 2.5" lifts which yield around 4.5" uptravel....

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars
DIY highline fenders.... 34-37's under 0"-2.5" lifts
shock length, bumpstop extension, tire size chart click here
DIY shock shifters, more uptravel/better ride

2011 E-350 4x4 Van conversion

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

ASE Certified Master Tech/Fabricator @ jeepwest.com
mudb8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2011, 08:24 PM   #125
J03_TJ
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudb8 View Post
what I'm seeing is RE's shock relocation mounts.... The RE mounts are designed for that shock length but are intended for the 5.5" lift. if you rotate the RE mounts down anymore, you'll be right back to square one and have the shock bodies getting damaged by the spring perches and springs.

You need a completely different mount, If you make some of the DIY mounts in my other thread, the 14.8" shock will work fine, I made the mounts I use specifically to run 14.5" collapsed length, 24.5" extended shocks on 2.5" lifts which yield around 4.5" uptravel....
Yep, I like those mounts you did. That would fix my situation for good I would think. Thanks.
J03_TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2011, 09:40 AM   #126
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

This might help people figure out how order/make/modify bumpstops:

Front bumpstops go on the axle side, while rear bumpstops go on the frame side. To attach the front's you may need to drill and tap the bumpstop pad. For the rear you only need to buy a longer bolt from the local hardware store (metric 8.8 or 10.9).

1. you can make them.

^^3/8" thick x 3" OD round stock, cut with an angle grinder and band saw, faced & drilled on a lathe, welded to the axle and tapped. the lathe helps & makes short work of it, but definitely not 100% necessary...doable with a bench vice, flap disc on a grinder and level.

2. Buy a 3" OD HDPE or UHMWPE bar stock on ebay (or local plastics supplier) and cut it down on a bench vice with a hand saw. Check around for a local plastics supplier, one near me does 1/2 off reminents once a month.

3. Buy 3" OD "Big Block" Performance Accessories body lift pucks for the front, and "Mini-Block" pucks for the rear.
http://www.shopatron.com/home/index/706.2

4. Buy 2 or 3" bumpstop extensions from any normal manufacturer...like Rubicon Express. Cut it down to the length needed with a hand saw and save the rest for later. (RE1380, RE1383, RE1385)
http://www.rubiconexpress.com/JeepPa...px?folder=JPBS

5. Buy bumpstop extensions of the length you need - JKS sells nice stackable bumpstops.
http://www.quadratec.com/products/16159_110X_PG.htm
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2011, 11:27 AM   #127
asknight
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I'm trying to find the chart, but my coffee isn't working yet. Will a 14.5" collapsed rear shock work with a 2" rear bumpstop on the OEM shock mounts?
asknight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-07-2011, 08:55 PM   #128
CRJeepin

Hey Mudb8, thanks so much for this excellent thread! Also thanks for your reinforcement idea on the rear TB mount -- I will be making a similar bracket that as soon as it's warm enough to get wrenchin again.

Deleting most of this post as I tabulated what you've said in a couple posts and believe I have what I need...I think the 3" Bilstein's are the route to take with my 3" AEV springs. Should be able to get away with less than 2.5-3" bumpstop in the rear due to Clayton lower shock mounts (behind the control arm bracket).

Thanks again and if you get out east, or I get out west -- I'm buyin the beer!

update:
This is the chart I started, the data in yellow I want to verify with my parts dealer's book as there's a couple different pieces of info floating around on the interwebs...the data in here is per Mudb8, where I could find it, and Quadratec where I couldn't. "SS" is Shock Shifter:

Last edited by CRJeepin; 02-09-2011 at 08:42 PM.. Reason: figured it out by tabulatin' the dat'r
CRJeepin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-08-2011, 07:22 AM   #129
jrfII
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Thank you for so much valuable information...

Mudb8 this is a terrific thread, thank you for your time and expertise.

We bought our first wrangler last year and TJ-OCD has set in for us.

Our 99TJ 4 banger is stock height, 3.25" backspacing. We want to go to 31's and are looking to smooth out the ride as much as possible.

We are late 40's rapidly aging adolescents. I spent this past weekend installing '04 WJ buckets to minimize trips to the chiroprator after a day of play.

I have done the budget discos (7/16" clevis) for the front. We had to add 1.75" front coil spacers to level out after the winch install.

Don't want to lift (yet?) and don't want to pop springs when disco'd and too old for anything rougher than stock.

Any advise you can provide would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks again for all the quality information.
jrfII is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-08-2011, 05:22 PM   #130
EricsGreen98Tj
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Aadd a 1.25" BodyLift and a set of 1" raised motor mounts. I did this and ran 31x10.50's for a while and was happy with the Tj proformance. IF you do get a BL get a quality kit, such as JKS or Savvy, that has the lift pucks that encapsule the body mounts. You'd be good to go with the 31x10.50s since you have enough backspacing on your rims.

Doin th BL/MML you dont have to mess with shock lengths or trac bars etc. Plus it partially sets you up for a Tummy tuck down the road.

If you dont want to run the BL, you can get by adding just enough bumpstops to keep the tires outta the fenders but you'll loose some(a little) uptravel.

OR you could just add 3/4" spacers to the rear springs and add swap in a 2" spacer to the front. However this may cause you front axle to shift off center a bit, but not much.

I'd personally go with the BL/MML and wheel spacers as i KNOW it works and is easy.
Unread 02-08-2011, 08:11 PM   #131
mudb8

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by asknight View Post
I'm trying to find the chart, but my coffee isn't working yet. Will a 14.5" collapsed rear shock work with a 2" rear bumpstop on the OEM shock mounts?
2" is not enough for a 14.5" collapsed shock, it also depends on the pinion angle and if you are using shock extensions to get the shocks off of the spring bucket....

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

Unread 02-08-2011, 08:28 PM   #132
mudb8

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrfII View Post
Mudb8 this is a terrific thread, thank you for your time and expertise.

We bought our first wrangler last year and TJ-OCD has set in for us.

Our 99TJ 4 banger is stock height, 3.25" backspacing. We want to go to 31's and are looking to smooth out the ride as much as possible.

We are late 40's rapidly aging adolescents. I spent this past weekend installing '04 WJ buckets to minimize trips to the chiroprator after a day of play.

I have done the budget discos (7/16" clevis) for the front. We had to add 1.75" front coil spacers to level out after the winch install.

Don't want to lift (yet?) and don't want to pop springs when disco'd and too old for anything rougher than stock.

Any advise you can provide would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks again for all the quality information.
you can run 31's with stock suspension on 5" backspacing, the 3.25" is going make the tires rub the flares if you disconnect the front sway bar links. I'd just bolt on a pair of OME N66C shocks up front, get some stock replacement sensatracs or find some stock take offs for the rear. (I actually have a pair here with low miles from an 06.) .... and add a 1"BL if you can't live with the tires rubbing the flares, the problem with bolting on OME N67 shocks on the rear is they are too long to use without also adding 1.25" bumpstop extension.... Bad news for stock suspension without lower mount relocation, Great addition to a 2" BB if used with proper bumpstop extension or lower mount relocation.

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

Unread 02-08-2011, 09:44 PM   #133
bandit455
1997 TJ Wrangler 

yo mud,

think you can get an extended/ collapsed length on these shocks? cant find one anywhere

link

unfortunately with the 4-6" lift height designation im assuming there gonna be atleast a 15" collapsed
Eagle scout jeeper #10

my build thread
The Things We Make, Make Us
bandit455 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2011, 04:25 AM   #134
jrfII
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Follow-up

Mudb8,

Thanks for the insight. A couple more questions...

I am planning on trimming the flares (rather than a bl) and willing to increase bump stop length up front if it won't degrade the ride. (advise)

How much for the take-offs?

Your help is appreciated.
jrfII is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2011, 09:27 AM   #135
CRJeepin

deleted per above
CRJeepin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
bump stop , bump stops , bumpstop , bumpstops , shock length

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.