bumpstops, shock length, and tires size. help me iron out the fuzzy points.. - Page 8 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > bumpstops, shock length, and tires size. help me iron out the fuzzy points..

50 in light bar /A pillar mount less than 500 at JeepHut.cFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectThanksgiving holiday sale in effect @ oconeeoffroad.com

Unread 01-01-2011, 11:30 PM   #106
erikbartell
1998 ZJ 

I am really new to this but I have recently fallen in love with my jeep and can't stop adding stuff and working on it. My latest endeavor is putting in a bb lift. I have been doing research and reading up on tons of threads trying to figure out what works and what doesn't. Now I'm just hoping someone can check my work and offer some suggestions to tie up loose ends.

I want to install 3" bb lift with perf. 8000 shocks. I plan on switching the front coil springs to the back and installing 3" lift front coil springs. I got 15" soft 8's and 31" tires. I do not know if I will need a steering stabilizer or bump stop extenders or anything else however.

This is my daily driver so I would like a smooth ride. I do not go offroading much but I would love to start, nothing crazy, just wanna try something new.
Any help would be much appreciated. Feel free to point out good ideas or erroneous errors.
Thanks much.

erikbartell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-02-2011, 02:03 PM   #107
dragginwagon406
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy-Beast View Post
Mudb8,

Great thread, it helped a lot with the concepts. I'm still struggling with how to pick the best shock. I have a 06 LJ Rubi and I'll be going to AEV 3" springs, MC overline fenders, 1.25" BL running 35" tires. the rear does have shock relocators. I want to pick a shock that gives the best all around performance.

So by looking at your chart I want around a 23.75" extended shock, not sure of compressed length. I was thinking of the Bilstein but I think I read you don't like them.

I'm just not sure of how much extended length provides too much droop and at what length the compressed length robs to much up travel do to the bump stop required.

When I check-out shocks I get the following measurements:

Bilstein 5100 Front 3" - BE52731H5 - 24.14 - 14.88
Bilstein 5100 rear 3" - BE52732H5 - 22.44 - 13.98

Rancho 9000xl front 2.5" - RS999239 - 23.13 - 14.5
Rancho 9000xl front 3" - RS999255 - 25.88 - 15.88
Rancho 9000xl rear 2.5" - RS999241 - 20.88 - 13.63
Rancho 9000xl rear 3" - RS999256 - 24 - 15.13

OME 66 - N66 - 22.4 - 13.2
OME 67 - N67 - 22.1 - 13.3

What would you pick and why?
Did you end up getting the 3" lift? If so, what shocks did you go with in the front?
dragginwagon406 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-02-2011, 02:46 PM   #108
EricsGreen98Tj
1998 TJ Wrangler 

sub
Unread 01-13-2011, 10:03 PM   #109
jr03
2003 TJ Wrangler 

So can anyone help me find shocks for the best balance for my set up? I have an RE 3.5" superflex with 33" tires, kit came with 2" bump stop extensions front and rear. The shocks provided to me were Procomp 3200 32650 and 32651 which seem long. Also have shock extension in rear to clear spring perch. I would like to relocate the rear shock mounts to behind the LCA in future and eventually go full outboard. The OME 67L looks like it might be good for the rear quessing it would end up at close to 4.5" up travel and 5.5 down if I figured right. Looks like more bumpstop is needed in rear too. I'm also installing Metalcloak Overlines in front, just waiting for chance to paint them. If I remember right, I have about 4" on front shocks and 3.25 in rear for up travel as it is now
jr03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-13-2011, 11:04 PM   #110
mudb8
want it rite or rite now?

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr03 View Post
So can anyone help me find shocks for the best balance for my set up? I have an RE 3.5" superflex with 33" tires, kit came with 2" bump stop extensions front and rear. The shocks provided to me were Procomp 3200 32650 and 32651 which seem long. Also have shock extension in rear to clear spring perch. I would like to relocate the rear shock mounts to behind the LCA in future and eventually go full outboard. The OME 67L looks like it might be good for the rear quessing it would end up at close to 4.5" up travel and 5.5 down if I figured right. Looks like more bumpstop is needed in rear too. I'm also installing Metalcloak Overlines in front, just waiting for chance to paint them. If I remember right, I have about 4" on front shocks and 3.25 in rear for up travel as it is now
2" bumpstop extension is perfect for 15.5" collapsed N66L front shocks,

2" extension is not enough for the 14.5" collapsed N67L rear shocks. you'll end up close to 3.5-4" with the shock mount extensions, also depending on your pinion angle..... I can only give an educated guess on the rear bumpstop extension without actually measuring your rig but the front is cut and dry.

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars
DIY highline fenders.... 34-37's under 0"-2.5" lifts
shock length, bumpstop extension, tire size chart click here
DIY shock shifters, more uptravel/better ride

2011 E-350 4x4 Van conversion

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

ASE Certified Master Tech/Fabricator @ jeepwest.com
mudb8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2011, 05:51 PM   #111
JakeAW
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I've been trying to figure this out from the thread, but think I have the measurements backward. I have a stock jeep but installed Teraflex Barpin eliminators, which ended up making my Rancho 5000s not have enough travel and I keep bottoming out. The barpin eliminators made the shocks about 1.5 shorter, so do I need 20.5" shocks in the front and 19.5" in the back? Running 31" tires.
Unread 01-14-2011, 06:38 PM   #112
jr03
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudb8 View Post
2" bumpstop extension is perfect for 15.5" collapsed N66L front shocks,

2" extension is not enough for the 14.5" collapsed N67L rear shocks. you'll end up close to 3.5-4" with the shock mount extensions, also depending on your pinion angle..... I can only give an educated guess on the rear bumpstop extension without actually measuring your rig but the front is cut and dry.
Thanks mudb8 those rear numbers for bump stops look about right from some measuring I did today. The rear procomps I have now are 15.9 collapsed with about 11 inches of travel and I don't think they are a good match for my lift. If I relocate my rear lower mounts to the lca bracket it looks like I might be able to gain 1/2 to 3/4 inches for up travel, does that sound about right? Then if I use a shock with less collapsed legnth I might be able to get a better balance of up/droop travel. The fronts are not to bad at 15.5 collapsed and 11 travel but I can unseat the springs. This is a real balancing act trying to maximize up travel and droop without taking away from one or the other and not causing fender clerance issues. Sometimes I think the more I learn the less I know, or the more I need to fix on my Jeep.
jr03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2011, 08:45 PM   #113
EricsGreen98Tj
1998 TJ Wrangler 

So Mud, you ever gonna add the collapsed length for the shocks to the list? It would really help ALOT of people, and me, out.....
Unread 01-18-2011, 10:19 PM   #114
mudb8

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeAW View Post
I've been trying to figure this out from the thread, but think I have the measurements backward. I have a stock jeep but installed Teraflex Barpin eliminators, which ended up making my Rancho 5000s not have enough travel and I keep bottoming out. The barpin eliminators made the shocks about 1.5 shorter, so do I need 20.5" shocks in the front and 19.5" in the back? Running 31" tires.
12.25" collapsed length rear...
13.5" collapsed lenght front shocks for a stock jeep.

teraflex also has a barpin elimiator that makes 1" MORE uptavel, tho you need a 1" body lift to use them... I never recomend or use a "bolt on" BPE.

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

Unread 01-18-2011, 10:28 PM   #115
mudb8

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr03 View Post
Thanks mudb8 those rear numbers for bump stops look about right from some measuring I did today. The rear procomps I have now are 15.9 collapsed with about 11 inches of travel and I don't think they are a good match for my lift. If I relocate my rear lower mounts to the lca bracket it looks like I might be able to gain 1/2 to 3/4 inches for up travel, does that sound about right? Then if I use a shock with less collapsed legnth I might be able to get a better balance of up/droop travel. The fronts are not to bad at 15.5 collapsed and 11 travel but I can unseat the springs. This is a real balancing act trying to maximize up travel and droop without taking away from one or the other and not causing fender clerance issues. Sometimes I think the more I learn the less I know, or the more I need to fix on my Jeep.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricsGreen98Tj View Post
So Mud, you ever gonna add the collapsed length for the shocks to the list? It would really help ALOT of people, and me, out.....

I just haven't had the time to get to the chart.... but as a rule for the front, 13.5" is the max collapsed length you can run in the front on stock bumpstop extension, add one inch for every inch of added collapsed length...

12.25" is max for the rear but the ratio is not quite the same. 13.5" collapsed rears work with 2.5-3.5" lifts and require 1.25" bumpstop extension, when you get to and over 3.5" of lift you also start altering the pinion angle which also affects the needed bumpstop length along with wether a shock mount extension is used to move the shock away from the axle tube to prevent damage to the shock bodies. the shock extensions tend to aim high and take away uptravel.

I usually get a full inch or more by relocating the rear lower shock mounts... the maximum collapsed length you should even consider with a 3.5" lift is 14.5" with proper bumpstop extension.

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

Unread 01-19-2011, 01:08 AM   #116
asknight
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
12.25" collapsed length rear...
13.5" collapsed lenght front shocks for a stock jeep.

teraflex also has a barpin elimiator that makes 1" MORE uptavel, tho you need a 1" body lift to use them... I never recomend or use a "bolt on" BPE.
I'm not clear. The Teraflex BPEs look like they function much like the JKS and every other BPE out there unless you're talking about something different.

http://www.teraflex.biz/shock-bar-pi...ear-upper.html
asknight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2011, 09:53 AM   #117
mudb8

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by asknight View Post
I'm not clear. The Teraflex BPEs look like they function much like the JKS and every other BPE out there unless you're talking about something different.

http://www.teraflex.biz/shock-bar-pin-eliminator-rear-upper.html
those are actually what comes in a leveling key kit for a chevy truck and are about the worst thing you can possibly put on a jeep unless you have 10" of lift....

This is what I'm talking about..... which fits up through the crossmember and uses the stock upper shock mounting bolts.

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

Unread 01-19-2011, 11:29 AM   #118
asknight
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Ah, gotcha. Those look much more interesting than the ones in the link I posted.
asknight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2011, 12:25 PM   #119
JakeAW
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
those are actually what comes in a leveling key kit for a chevy truck and are about the worst thing you can possibly put on a jeep unless you have 10" of lift....
Thanks for the help. I put on the leveling kit ones. What's the problem with them? Just that they reduce shock length?
Unread 01-19-2011, 10:16 PM   #120
dragginwagon406
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
2" bumpstop extension is perfect for 15.5" collapsed N66L front shocks...
And also for the Rancho 999255?
dragginwagon406 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
bump stop , bump stops , bumpstop , bumpstops , shock length

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.