bumpstops, shock length, and tires size. help me iron out the fuzzy points.. - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > bumpstops, shock length, and tires size. help me iron out the fuzzy points..

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectThanksgiving holiday sale in effect @ oconeeoffroad.comRugged Ridge 8500lb Winch w/ Steel Cable $294.99 Shipped O

Reply
Unread 08-29-2010, 09:51 PM   #91
kelso1337
Registered User
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Nanaimo, BC
Posts: 438
Okay so I just recently put on a OME ZJ/LJ Lift (Got about 3'' in the front and 4'' in the back). My kit never came with any kind of bump stops, although I read now it says "includes rear bump stop extensions". I'm going to chat with my guy to see if this is the case.

The shocks I got are the long travel shocks, i cant find the part number at the moment...

I am going to be putting on 33x10.5x15 KM2s soon...What sort of bump stop extensions should I run?

Thanks for your help!

__________________
Stock 2003 Jeep TJ - 'Intense Blue'
Bought the jeep in April, found JF in May...
First Mod in June.
kelso1337 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2010, 10:00 PM   #92
mudb8
want it rite or rite now?
 
mudb8's Avatar
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Estacada, oregon
Posts: 5,782
Quote:
Originally Posted by bandit455 View Post
I need a shock length on some ome n66l's

im currently running 2.2's with about 5" of up travel after I put a 1" spacer in up front. Im looking to go to a longer shock and see if I can get about 6" or so of up travel. im considering making shock tabe to mount to the lca instead of the stock mount to get this up travel. out back i think I'll retain the 2.2's for a while as I have them out boarded using the oem mounts on 1/4" plate welded to the back of the lca mount.

any reccomendations?
N66L's are 26.5" extended and 15.5" collapsed... the Rear N67L's are 24.5 extended and 14.5" collapsed.

I've had pretty good results with lowering the lower shock mounts....



Quote:
Originally Posted by kelso1337 View Post
Okay so I just recently put on a OME ZJ/LJ Lift (Got about 3'' in the front and 4'' in the back). My kit never came with any kind of bump stops, although I read now it says "includes rear bump stop extensions". I'm going to chat with my guy to see if this is the case.

The shocks I got are the long travel shocks, i cant find the part number at the moment...

I am going to be putting on 33x10.5x15 KM2s soon...What sort of bump stop extensions should I run?

Thanks for your help!
the OME long travel shocks are N66L, front and N67L for the rear. the front requires 2" extension minimum and the rear will be pushing 3" depending on the type of shock shifters you use, plus if you use the stupid BPE's, you'll be adding on even more extension.
__________________
I want your factory 07-up take-off/thrown out JK front/rear Lower Control Arms! Bent ones are perfect also as long as the bushings and cold cut rings are in good shape/useable


HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars
DIY highline fenders.... 34-37's under 0"-2.5" lifts
shock length, bumpstop extension, tire size chart click here
DIY shock shifters, more uptravel/better ride




2011 E-350 4x4 Van conversion

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

ASE Certified Master Tech/Fabricator @ jeepwest.com
mudb8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2010, 01:13 AM   #93
Filthy-Beast
Registered User
2006 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Palatine, IL
Posts: 2,334
Mudb8,

Great thread, it helped a lot with the concepts. I'm still struggling with how to pick the best shock. I have a 06 LJ Rubi and I'll be going to AEV 3" springs, MC overline fenders, 1.25" BL running 35" tires. the rear does have shock relocators. I want to pick a shock that gives the best all around performance.

So by looking at your chart I want around a 23.75" extended shock, not sure of compressed length. I was thinking of the Bilstein but I think I read you don't like them.


I'm just not sure of how much extended length provides too much droop and at what length the compressed length robs to much up travel do to the bump stop required.

When I check-out shocks I get the following measurements:

Bilstein 5100 Front 3" - BE52731H5 - 24.14 - 14.88
Bilstein 5100 rear 3" - BE52732H5 - 22.44 - 13.98

Rancho 9000xl front 2.5" - RS999239 - 23.13 - 14.5
Rancho 9000xl front 3" - RS999255 - 25.88 - 15.88
Rancho 9000xl rear 2.5" - RS999241 - 20.88 - 13.63
Rancho 9000xl rear 3" - RS999256 - 24 - 15.13

OME 66 - N66 - 22.4 - 13.2
OME 67 - N67 - 22.1 - 13.3


What would you pick and why?
__________________
[B][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/beast-2-build-13-jkur-1460311/"]13 JKUR Build thread[/URL][/B]

[COLOR="red"][B]For Sale:[/B][/COLOR] [URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f129/jk-4dr-black-painted-hard-top-1000-a-1541186/"][COLOR="Blue"]2013 4dr JK Painted black Hard Top[/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f127/jkur-18-59-springs-shocks-1557427/"][COLOR="Purple"]JKUR 18/59 springs and shocks[/COLOR][/URL]

[SIZE="1"][B]97 TJ:[/B] daughter 1 - 2.5L, Auto, 2" BB, 31" GY Duratrac
[B]98 TJ:[/B] Daugher 2 - 4.0L, 5spd, D44 rear
[B]06 LJ Rubicon:[/B] mine - Rokmen full up-armor, 8 adjustable CAs, front bumper, sliders, corners, Shrockworks rear bumper, 3" AEV/BDS lift, Currie HD stearing and Antirock, MT/r - k 35x12.5, SuperWinch, MC Overlines, York OBA
[B]13 JKU Rubicon:[/B] Wife's for now, Ace Rock rails & rear bumper tire carrier, Truck Lites, MC Game changer 3.5 lift, RR skids, PSC Brawler front bumper, Warn 9.5cti-s, 35" GY MTRs[/SIZE]
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2010, 09:20 AM   #94
Filthy-Beast
Registered User
2006 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Palatine, IL
Posts: 2,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy-Beast View Post
Mudb8,

Great thread, it helped a lot with the concepts. I'm still struggling with how to pick the best shock. I have a 06 LJ Rubi and I'll be going to AEV 3" springs, MC overline fenders, 1.25" BL running 35" tires. the rear does have shock relocators. I want to pick a shock that gives the best all around performance.

So by looking at your chart I want around a 23.75" extended shock, not sure of compressed length. I was thinking of the Bilstein but I think I read you don't like them.


I'm just not sure of how much extended length provides too much droop and at what length the compressed length robs to much up travel do to the bump stop required.

When I check-out shocks I get the following measurements:

Bilstein 5100 Front 3" - BE52731H5 - 24.14 - 14.88
Bilstein 5100 rear 3" - BE52732H5 - 22.44 - 13.98

Rancho 9000xl front 2.5" - RS999239 - 23.13 - 14.5
Rancho 9000xl front 3" - RS999255 - 25.88 - 15.88
Rancho 9000xl rear 2.5" - RS999241 - 20.88 - 13.63
Rancho 9000xl rear 3" - RS999256 - 24 - 15.13

OME 66 - N66 - 22.4 - 13.2
OME 67 - N67 - 22.1 - 13.3


What would you pick and why?
So I read and re-read this thread and others several times. I just don't have enough experience to know the answers to these two questions.

1.) If you ignore tire size, that's a different issue, with a 3" progressive rate spring like the AEV at what extended length will the spring unseat too much? 23, 24, 25?

2.) At what compressed length do you start to lose to much up travel do to bump stop required to keep from bottoming the shock, 13, 14, 15?

And I assume these numbers are different for the back since most shock kits have shorter numbers for the rear.

These both assume standard shock mount locations in the front and one of those sucky relocators in the back.

Knowing these numbers it's then a matter of finding the best balance between extended and compressed that are close to those numbers.
__________________
[B][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/beast-2-build-13-jkur-1460311/"]13 JKUR Build thread[/URL][/B]

[COLOR="red"][B]For Sale:[/B][/COLOR] [URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f129/jk-4dr-black-painted-hard-top-1000-a-1541186/"][COLOR="Blue"]2013 4dr JK Painted black Hard Top[/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f127/jkur-18-59-springs-shocks-1557427/"][COLOR="Purple"]JKUR 18/59 springs and shocks[/COLOR][/URL]

[SIZE="1"][B]97 TJ:[/B] daughter 1 - 2.5L, Auto, 2" BB, 31" GY Duratrac
[B]98 TJ:[/B] Daugher 2 - 4.0L, 5spd, D44 rear
[B]06 LJ Rubicon:[/B] mine - Rokmen full up-armor, 8 adjustable CAs, front bumper, sliders, corners, Shrockworks rear bumper, 3" AEV/BDS lift, Currie HD stearing and Antirock, MT/r - k 35x12.5, SuperWinch, MC Overlines, York OBA
[B]13 JKU Rubicon:[/B] Wife's for now, Ace Rock rails & rear bumper tire carrier, Truck Lites, MC Game changer 3.5 lift, RR skids, PSC Brawler front bumper, Warn 9.5cti-s, 35" GY MTRs[/SIZE]
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2010, 09:51 PM   #95
mudb8
want it rite or rite now?
 
mudb8's Avatar
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Estacada, oregon
Posts: 5,782
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy-Beast View Post
Mudb8,

Great thread, it helped a lot with the concepts. I'm still struggling with how to pick the best shock. I have a 06 LJ Rubi and I'll be going to AEV 3" springs, MC overline fenders, 1.25" BL running 35" tires. the rear does have shock relocators. I want to pick a shock that gives the best all around performance.

So by looking at your chart I want around a 23.75" extended shock, not sure of compressed length. I was thinking of the Bilstein but I think I read you don't like them.


I'm just not sure of how much extended length provides too much droop and at what length the compressed length robs to much up travel do to the bump stop required.

When I check-out shocks I get the following measurements:

Bilstein 5100 Front 3" - BE52731H5 - 24.14 - 14.88
Bilstein 5100 rear 3" - BE52732H5 - 22.44 - 13.98

Rancho 9000xl front 2.5" - RS999239 - 23.13 - 14.5
Rancho 9000xl front 3" - RS999255 - 25.88 - 15.88
Rancho 9000xl rear 2.5" - RS999241 - 20.88 - 13.63
Rancho 9000xl rear 3" - RS999256 - 24 - 15.13

OME 66 - N66 - 22.4 - 13.2
OME 67 - N67 - 22.1 - 13.3


What would you pick and why?
hmm. bilstein is among my favorites, they just have longer collapsed length than I'd like to see.

the 3" bilsteins is going to be a good choice, the front collapsed length will require a minimum of 1.5" bumpstop extension, the rear will require in the neighborhood of 2.25, and will depend on the shock shifters have to be correct.

The rancho 9000's... I'd run the 3" fronts with 2.25" extension and the 2.5" rears to avoid having very little uptravel with around 2" extension.

OME, I'd opt for N66L up front with 2" extension and run standard N67 with 1" extension in the rear unless you relocate lower shock mounts then the N67L's are fine.

what works up front is 13.5 collapsed lengths on stock bumpstop extension.
the rear is about 12.5", the longer you get on the rear the more out of hand the uptravel gets.... bottom line is 15.5" collapsed length fronts require 2" extension and 13.5" rear's require a minimum of 1" while a 14.5" rear will generally require about 3". the rear isn't a 1-1 ratio, the front isn't either but close to it.

as for down travel, most springs are good for 5" then they are unseated not to mention short arms are at an angle that makes climbing difficult. some can go a good 6" from ride hieght. beyond the 6" mark with anything over a 4" lift, you're asking for drive shaft problems especially if you also have a flat belly skid.

OME/Rancho 2.5" springs I've compressed in the strut compressor can operate on stock bumpstop extension without dammage from over compression, so, if you put on a 3/4" spacer, expect to also add 1" bumpstop extension which in turn opens the door for a longer travel shock. 4" lift springs should be run with 2" extension.
__________________
I want your factory 07-up take-off/thrown out JK front/rear Lower Control Arms! Bent ones are perfect also as long as the bushings and cold cut rings are in good shape/useable


HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars
DIY highline fenders.... 34-37's under 0"-2.5" lifts
shock length, bumpstop extension, tire size chart click here
DIY shock shifters, more uptravel/better ride




2011 E-350 4x4 Van conversion

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

ASE Certified Master Tech/Fabricator @ jeepwest.com
mudb8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2010, 09:55 PM   #96
bandit455
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: pa
Posts: 1,335
what aobut bilstein 7100 short bodies?

seems like a great way to run a 12" travel high quality shock with out much work
__________________
Eagle scout jeeper #10

my build thread
The Things We Make, Make Us
bandit455 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2010, 10:06 PM   #97
mudb8
want it rite or rite now?
 
mudb8's Avatar
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Estacada, oregon
Posts: 5,782
Quote:
Originally Posted by bandit455 View Post
what aobut bilstein 7100 short bodies?

seems like a great way to run a 12" travel high quality shock with out much work
the 12" short body is 27.68 extended and 16.10 collapsed... they would be good for a 4" lift with close to 3" bumpstop extension but when you consider the mounting options that'll cost you 1.5" of uptravel it all goes out the door if you're trying to use them without modifying mounts.
__________________
I want your factory 07-up take-off/thrown out JK front/rear Lower Control Arms! Bent ones are perfect also as long as the bushings and cold cut rings are in good shape/useable


HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars
DIY highline fenders.... 34-37's under 0"-2.5" lifts
shock length, bumpstop extension, tire size chart click here
DIY shock shifters, more uptravel/better ride




2011 E-350 4x4 Van conversion

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

ASE Certified Master Tech/Fabricator @ jeepwest.com
mudb8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2010, 04:58 PM   #98
BlackSCRunner
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 46
Very informative thread. I'm new here (and to Jeeps) as you can probably tell by my post count, but I have been reading and learning a lot, and sifting through the posts for a few months now. I have a stock 05 Rubicon and I've collected everything I want to run suspension/wheel/tire wise except shocks. I would really like to run bilstein 5100/5125 if the lengths will work for me. If any of you seasoned suspension experts out there could yay/nay me on my thoughts here I would really appreciate it.

Setup is:

JKS acos front and rear, intend to set them at approx. 2"
1.25" JKS BL
1" JKS MML
285/75R16 Duratracs
Oem Moabs
1.25" spidertrax wheel spacers
JKS barpin eliminators (also have a different style teraflex front BPE that is a little taller, and I'm not opposed to using that and/or getting the taller one for the rear to help with shock length fitment) I would like to run the BPE's though because I think it is a better design than the bar pins.
bushwacker flat flares

I was initially considering running the 5100's listed for a TJ with 3" lift, but I think I can do a little better with the 5125 in a universal size, plus the BPE's and/or eye to stem conversion. I'm not sure exactly how much effective length is added to the shocks from these items but I am guessing JKS BPE .5" front/rear. Teraflex BPE 1" front/rear. Stem to eye conversion 1" front. If you have better data on this please let me know.

I'm looking at the following Bilstein's
Model # Travel Valving Extended Compressed Mounting
BE5-6252-H5 8.13 255/70 21.54 13.58 14mm eye/eye
BE5-6253-H5 8.60 255/70 22.50 14.06 14mm eye/eye
EDIT just found this one...might be a little short for the front even with the BPE?
BE5-6526-H5 7.62 224/100 20.45 12.83 14mm Stem/eye

All shocks come with 5/8” hourglass bushings

Would need the BPE front & rear and the Stem to Eye front. I would love to find a suitable 5100/5125 with eye lower and stem upper for the front, but the only one I found in an appropriate length has VERY stiff valving and I think will ride terribly.

I am still open to other shock suggestions, but admittedly I am partial to bilstein, which seem to consistently get high marks across almost all different brands of vehicle (and are highly regarded in the Toyota world...where I came from).

The Jeep will likely be more than 80% pavement use, so road manners are very important, but It will run beach, fire roads, and trails (disconnected) whenever possible!

Other shocks I've heard good things about:

Edelbrock Monotubes
Rubicon Express Monotubes (I think these are the same as the edelbrocks)
BDS (not sure if the hydros or nitros are recommended here)
Skyjacker (have heard the hydros are a good cheap option)
Rancho 9000 (I like that they are adjustable, but think for this kind of money bilsteins are higher quality)
OME (Even though they are pricey for a twin tube, I hear nothing but good things, these are popular with toyota guys too)
Monroe Reflex and/or sensatracs (good cheaper option?)
Stock JK rubicon shocks?
Doetsch (don't know much about these but they have come up a few times. They have good lengths)

Sorry for the lengthy post, I'm new to Jeeps but not to forums and I know it's frowned upon for a newbie to come on and just start asking questions without searching, so I have searched, I have learned, I have EVERYTHING listed above in my garage ready to install...I'm just having some trouble finalizing the shock decision, and this thread seems to have some really good contributions to it. Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer! Once I learn a little more I hope to be able to offer some back!

Last edited by BlackSCRunner; 11-12-2010 at 05:32 PM.. Reason: Found another Bilstein 5125 shock option
BlackSCRunner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2010, 06:21 PM   #99
mudb8
want it rite or rite now?
 
mudb8's Avatar
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Estacada, oregon
Posts: 5,782
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSCRunner View Post
Very informative thread. I'm new here (and to Jeeps) as you can probably tell by my post count, but I have been reading and learning a lot, and sifting through the posts for a few months now. I have a stock 05 Rubicon and I've collected everything I want to run suspension/wheel/tire wise except shocks. I would really like to run bilstein 5100/5125 if the lengths will work for me. If any of you seasoned suspension experts out there could yay/nay me on my thoughts here I would really appreciate it.

Setup is:

JKS acos front and rear, intend to set them at approx. 2"
1.25" JKS BL
1" JKS MML
285/75R16 Duratracs
Oem Moabs
1.25" spidertrax wheel spacers
JKS barpin eliminators (also have a different style teraflex front BPE that is a little taller, and I'm not opposed to using that and/or getting the taller one for the rear to help with shock length fitment) I would like to run the BPE's though because I think it is a better design than the bar pins.
bushwacker flat flares

I was initially considering running the 5100's listed for a TJ with 3" lift, but I think I can do a little better with the 5125 in a universal size, plus the BPE's and/or eye to stem conversion. I'm not sure exactly how much effective length is added to the shocks from these items but I am guessing JKS BPE .5" front/rear. Teraflex BPE 1" front/rear. Stem to eye conversion 1" front. If you have better data on this please let me know.

I'm looking at the following Bilstein's
Model # Travel Valving Extended Compressed Mounting
BE5-6252-H5 8.13 255/70 21.54 13.58 14mm eye/eye
BE5-6253-H5 8.60 255/70 22.50 14.06 14mm eye/eye
EDIT just found this one...might be a little short for the front even with the BPE?
BE5-6526-H5 7.62 224/100 20.45 12.83 14mm Stem/eye

All shocks come with 5/8” hourglass bushings

Would need the BPE front & rear and the Stem to Eye front. I would love to find a suitable 5100/5125 with eye lower and stem upper for the front, but the only one I found in an appropriate length has VERY stiff valving and I think will ride terribly.

I am still open to other shock suggestions, but admittedly I am partial to bilstein, which seem to consistently get high marks across almost all different brands of vehicle (and are highly regarded in the Toyota world...where I came from).

The Jeep will likely be more than 80% pavement use, so road manners are very important, but It will run beach, fire roads, and trails (disconnected) whenever possible!

Other shocks I've heard good things about:

Edelbrock Monotubes
Rubicon Express Monotubes (I think these are the same as the edelbrocks)
BDS (not sure if the hydros or nitros are recommended here)
Skyjacker (have heard the hydros are a good cheap option)
Rancho 9000 (I like that they are adjustable, but think for this kind of money bilsteins are higher quality)
OME (Even though they are pricey for a twin tube, I hear nothing but good things, these are popular with toyota guys too)
Monroe Reflex and/or sensatracs (good cheaper option?)
Stock JK rubicon shocks?
Doetsch (don't know much about these but they have come up a few times. They have good lengths)

Sorry for the lengthy post, I'm new to Jeeps but not to forums and I know it's frowned upon for a newbie to come on and just start asking questions without searching, so I have searched, I have learned, I have EVERYTHING listed above in my garage ready to install...I'm just having some trouble finalizing the shock decision, and this thread seems to have some really good contributions to it. Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer! Once I learn a little more I hope to be able to offer some back!


Forget about the bpe/conversion stuff and use 5100's for 0-3" lift with proper bumpstop extension....

the conversion/bpe stuff takes away valuable uptravel and isn't a good idea unless you have over 4.5" of lift.... if you want to use 5125's and elimiate bpe's outboard mount the rears and relocate the lower front mounts using 10" travel shocks. See the other links in my sig.
__________________
I want your factory 07-up take-off/thrown out JK front/rear Lower Control Arms! Bent ones are perfect also as long as the bushings and cold cut rings are in good shape/useable


HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars
DIY highline fenders.... 34-37's under 0"-2.5" lifts
shock length, bumpstop extension, tire size chart click here
DIY shock shifters, more uptravel/better ride




2011 E-350 4x4 Van conversion

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

ASE Certified Master Tech/Fabricator @ jeepwest.com
mudb8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2010, 04:30 PM   #100
BlackSCRunner
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 46
Thanks for the advice mudb8. I understand that BPE's can take away uptravel, but only if the shock isn't sized with the additional length of the BPE in mind. That being said, the difficulty is in finding an ~8" travel shock with a shorter overall (and compressed) length, to accomodate the extra 1/2" or more of length that the BPE will add. I got my hands on some Monroe Reflex Monotube JK shocks for stock height that were taken off after only a month of use when the jeep was lifted, and my initial measurements look promising. We'll see how difficult it will be to make them work. If they don't work well, no big deal since the investment was very low. I can always go back to my original plans and get the 5100 (if I can find them in stock) That was actually the first problem. I ordered them in September from shockwarehouse.com and they kept pushing the date that they would be available. Finally I called Bilstein who told me shock warehouse won't be getting any until next year! Too bad too, because they were a good price, especially after the promo code. Anyway...I'm gonna try these shocks and see what I come up with. They will at the very least get me by until Jan if I decide to re-order the 5100's. Thanks again for the advice. This forum has been invaluable in educating me about my options. I'm very much looking forward to the install...if only it were warmer here!!
BlackSCRunner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2010, 12:40 PM   #101
kellyII
Registered User
2009 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: camden, TN
Posts: 194
I have been reading all these posts and I still have a question about shock relocation brackets and bumpstop length.

I bought a set of RE 3.5 inch springs and a set of shocks.
BILSTEIN Front 5100 Series Gas Shock Absorber
For 97-06 Jeep® Wrangler TJ & Unlimited with 4" Lift
Quadratec Part No: 16070.202
Manufacturer Part No: BE56241H5

BILSTEIN Rear 5100 Series Gas Shock Absorber
For 97-06 Jeep® Wrangler TJ & Unlimited with 4" Lift
Quadratec Part No: 16070.203
Manufacturer Part No: BE56242H5

Im ordering a Rock Krawler TB and Tie rod, but im unsure of what length bumpstops I will need inorder to keep the shocks from bottoming out?

I currently have a 2" teraflex coil spacers and 2" shocks, but Im wanting to get rid of the coil spacers...

Any help would be appreciated.
kellyII is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2010, 04:16 PM   #102
mudb8
want it rite or rite now?
 
mudb8's Avatar
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Estacada, oregon
Posts: 5,782
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyII View Post
I have been reading all these posts and I still have a question about shock relocation brackets and bumpstop length.

I bought a set of RE 3.5 inch springs and a set of shocks.
BILSTEIN Front 5100 Series Gas Shock Absorber
For 97-06 Jeep® Wrangler TJ & Unlimited with 4" Lift
Quadratec Part No: 16070.202
Manufacturer Part No: BE56241H5

BILSTEIN Rear 5100 Series Gas Shock Absorber
For 97-06 Jeep® Wrangler TJ & Unlimited with 4" Lift
Quadratec Part No: 16070.203
Manufacturer Part No: BE56242H5

Im ordering a Rock Krawler TB and Tie rod, but im unsure of what length bumpstops I will need inorder to keep the shocks from bottoming out?

I currently have a 2" teraflex coil spacers and 2" shocks, but Im wanting to get rid of the coil spacers...

Any help would be appreciated.
the 6242 rear shocks won't give you much uptravel as listed @25.50" / 15.49"
you'll need around 3.5-4"+ bumpstop extension.
a better fit for non relocated rear shocks is the BE52732H5 @23" / 14.5" (actual measurements.... q-tec's lengths are wrong.)which will need around 2.5-3" bumpstop extension....

up front since you'll be needing 2" extensions to keep the track bar off your diff cover, the 6241's will be fine.
__________________
I want your factory 07-up take-off/thrown out JK front/rear Lower Control Arms! Bent ones are perfect also as long as the bushings and cold cut rings are in good shape/useable


HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars
DIY highline fenders.... 34-37's under 0"-2.5" lifts
shock length, bumpstop extension, tire size chart click here
DIY shock shifters, more uptravel/better ride




2011 E-350 4x4 Van conversion

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

ASE Certified Master Tech/Fabricator @ jeepwest.com
mudb8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2010, 09:27 PM   #103
kellyII
Registered User
2009 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: camden, TN
Posts: 194
thanks mudb8, after doing some measuring and looking at some of your past post about shocks and bumpstops I have a better idea of what its gonna take to get a good setup..

From me to you, I think you really know your stuff when it comes to the ins and outs of jeep mods....
kellyII is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-14-2010, 11:33 PM   #104
GilpinTJ
Registered User
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Gilpin County, Colorado
Posts: 316
Let me see if I'm getting this before I order another set of shocks (1st set don't fit right):

From the center of shock mount to mount with no shocks installed, I have 16 3/4"
From the base of the spring to the very top of the bumpstop (like it was totally collapsed) I have 6".

So my collapsed shock length needs to be 10 3/4"? Seems logical.

I have a 3.5" lift and can't find shocks that short. Why can't I wrap my head around this?
__________________
John P.

Colorado Jeep Club Member #494

www.thepokerfloorman.com
GilpinTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-15-2010, 05:43 AM   #105
AppFan
Registered User
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Concord NC
Posts: 165
So I'm not guessing, I'm running AEV 3" springs, Bilstein 5100 F4BE52731H5 and F4BE52732H5, JKS trackbars and 32x11.5 tires with 4.75 backspacing. Right now I have 2" bumpstops front and rear. Am I in the ballpark?
AppFan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Tags
bump stop , bump stops , bumpstop , bumpstops , shock length

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.