bumpstops, shock length, and tires size. help me iron out the fuzzy points.. - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > bumpstops, shock length, and tires size. help me iron out the fuzzy points..

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 05-07-2010, 07:57 PM   #76
jermeyg
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudb8 View Post
yep that's the reason.... and no I don't recomend RC's SS shock brackets... they put the shocks into the exhaust and the fuel tank not to metion decrease the uptravel. Just as Currie's, and tera's do also... I hack em off and reweld them slightly outboard behind the Lower CA's.

Okay, I read your other thread and I understand what you are saying. You remove the bracket and weld it on the CA bracket to gain more uptravel and lose a little bit of down travel. I saw that Clayton has similar brackets but I don't believe that they shifted down like your home made ones. Perhaps you have some info on this? Perhaps you have a template you could PM me? Thanks for your help!

jermeyg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2010, 08:04 PM   #77
mudb8
want it rite or rite now?

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jermeyg View Post
Okay, I read your other thread and I understand what you are saying. You remove the bracket and weld it on the CA bracket to gain more uptravel and lose a little bit of down travel. I saw that Clayton has similar brackets but I don't believe that they shifted down like your home made ones. Perhaps you have some info on this? Perhaps you have a template you could PM me? Thanks for your help!
Clayton brackets, if used as they are intended, don't give any extra up travel or soak up down travel that unseats springs... they are an excellent bracket to use with correct length shocks tho.

I have a PDF that can be emailed of my tube brackets, the others pictured above are stock mounts welded to a plate which is then welded to the CA mounts in the ideal position.

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars
DIY highline fenders.... 34-37's under 0"-2.5" lifts
shock length, bumpstop extension, tire size chart click here
DIY shock shifters, more uptravel/better ride

2011 E-350 4x4 Van conversion

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

ASE Certified Master Tech/Fabricator @ jeepwest.com
mudb8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2010, 08:06 PM   #78
mudb8

1999 TJ Wrangler 

ChrisTJCO....
your question is good here...

"So reading this thread, I'm still confused.

With 245/75/16 BFG ATs (about 30.7"), with 2.5" OME HD Springs, and Skyjacker
Hydros with the following measurables:

Rears: *8.81 Shock Stroke (in.)
13.71 Collapsed Length (in.)
24.75 Extended Length (in.)

Fronts: *9.20 Shock Stroke (in.)
13.54 Collapsed Length (in.)
22.75 Extended Length (in.)

What kinda bumpstops am I looking at? Any??"

minimum 1.5" rear bumpstop extensions ........... I'd be inclined to say your rears aren't 24.75", they are 22.5"....

And NONE up front, 13.5" collapsed is the maximum length you can run stock front bumpstop extensions with. the tire size will be the problem needing bumpstop extension although the 245's shouldn't need any at all....

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

Unread 05-18-2010, 09:48 PM   #79
ChrisTJCO
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
ChrisTJCO....
your question is good here...

"So reading this thread, I'm still confused.

With 245/75/16 BFG ATs (about 30.7"), with 2.5" OME HD Springs, and Skyjacker
Hydros with the following measurables:

Rears: *8.81 Shock Stroke (in.)
13.71 Collapsed Length (in.)
24.75 Extended Length (in.)

Fronts: *9.20 Shock Stroke (in.)
13.54 Collapsed Length (in.)
22.75 Extended Length (in.)

What kinda bumpstops am I looking at? Any??"

minimum 1.5" rear bumpstop extensions ........... I'd be inclined to say your rears aren't 24.75", they are 22.5"....

And NONE up front, 13.5" collapsed is the maximum length you can run stock front bumpstop extensions with. the tire size will be the problem needing bumpstop extension although the 245's shouldn't need any at all....
Ok so 1.5" in the rear...got it. Any recommendations on where to buy them?

Colorado Jeep Club Member #230[/CENTER]
ChrisTJCO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2010, 07:57 PM   #80
mudb8

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisTJCO View Post
Ok so 1.5" in the rear...got it. Any recommendations on where to buy them?
RE1385...

They are 2", cut them down as/if needed.

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

Unread 05-20-2010, 11:17 AM   #81
ChrisTJCO
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
RE1385...

They are 2", cut them down as/if needed.
Thank you for being so helpful - I really appreciate it.

Colorado Jeep Club Member #230[/CENTER]
ChrisTJCO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2010, 09:35 AM   #82
1SlowPoke
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I need to come back to this thread and search for something... Very Informative
1SlowPoke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-15-2010, 08:05 AM   #83
jermeyg
2004 LJ Wrangler 

mudb8, for those of us who have lost their metal cups do you know what the measurement is for the metal cup? I am trying to figure out how that relates to the currie rear bumpstops. I believe that the currie rear bumpstops measure about 5 3/4". Is that too much bumpstop for the rear or does that equate to 2.5" of additional bumpstop using the factory metal cup in place? I have relocated my rear shock brackets and I am wondering if I need to remove some of the currie bumpstop or is it right where it needs to be for 5" uptravel. I have a 4" lift with OME 67L shocks.
jermeyg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2010, 09:19 PM   #84
mudb8

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jermeyg View Post
mudb8, for those of us who have lost their metal cups do you know what the measurement is for the metal cup? I am trying to figure out how that relates to the currie rear bumpstops. I believe that the currie rear bumpstops measure about 5 3/4". Is that too much bumpstop for the rear or does that equate to 2.5" of additional bumpstop using the factory metal cup in place? I have relocated my rear shock brackets and I am wondering if I need to remove some of the currie bumpstop or is it right where it needs to be for 5" uptravel. I have a 4" lift with OME 67L shocks.
the cup is 1.75" I don't have a currie stop handy to measure.

Sorry for the delay, I've been working late on the race truck and just haven't had time for anything else.

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

Unread 06-18-2010, 09:33 PM   #85
VanBCguy
Web Wheeler

1999 WJ 

My Jeep is yelling at me right now: "I wanna go to Estacada to play with mud in his shop!".
VanBCguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2010, 09:37 PM   #86
mudb8

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanBCguy View Post
My Jeep is yelling at me right now: "I wanna go to Estacada to play with mud in his shop!".
I'm waiting! LOL.

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

Unread 06-19-2010, 01:06 AM   #87
VanBCguy
Web Wheeler

1999 WJ 

Quote:
I'm waiting! LOL.
You're just waiting for my money!

Seriously though, I do plan on getting it down to you as soon as I can. I'll give you a couple days with it while I go explore Estacada and Portland in YOUR TJ!
VanBCguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2010, 10:29 AM   #88
NotURMailman
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I know I'm resurecting a long dead thread here, but...

I'm preparing to lower my TJ from a 6" SA to a 4" SA and install a 1.25" BL. I'm running 35s. So, I can expext to run 3" front and 4" rear bump stop extensions?

I'm not lookitng for an exact definitive answer. I'm also not concerned about shock length at this time.

My plan is to set my wheel base to where my bump stopd line up properly at full bump, then add bump stopp extension as nescessary to prevent rubbing (I'm tired of the tire cuts from the body), and then figure out my shocks (hoping to outboard the rear).

I was just hoping for a round about estimate of what I will need for bump stop extensions to prevent rubbing with out cutting shet metal (I don't care if I run flares or not).

I drive on the right side, what's wrong with you?

Quote:
Be very careful with the wife mod. Uninstallation can be extremely expensive. Wife mods have been known to take the Jeep and all other mods during the uninstall process. Also, make sure you service your wife mod properly as often as humanly possible. Wife mods not properly serviced may malfunction or uninstall themselves at any time.
NotURMailman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2010, 01:53 AM   #89
mudb8

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanBCguy View Post
You're just waiting for my money!

Seriously though, I do plan on getting it down to you as soon as I can. I'll give you a couple days with it while I go explore Estacada and Portland in YOUR TJ!

nothing to do with money for me!...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotURMailman View Post
I know I'm resurecting a long dead thread here, but...

I'm preparing to lower my TJ from a 6" SA to a 4" SA and install a 1.25" BL. I'm running 35s. So, I can expext to run 3" front and 4" rear bump stop extensions?

I'm not lookitng for an exact definitive answer. I'm also not concerned about shock length at this time.

My plan is to set my wheel base to where my bump stopd line up properly at full bump, then add bump stopp extension as nescessary to prevent rubbing (I'm tired of the tire cuts from the body), and then figure out my shocks (hoping to outboard the rear).

I was just hoping for a round about estimate of what I will need for bump stop extensions to prevent rubbing with out cutting shet metal (I don't care if I run flares or not).
2" rear extension has been all I've ever needed for the rear with a 35" tire, you'll only need to trim the rear most part of the wheel well. 03 and up have the vapor canister on the right rear corner which will also need to be moved a bit or deleted, the tire will eventually rub a hole in it from flex.. 3" is close for the front, a BL helps out a bunch there.

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

Unread 08-28-2010, 09:46 PM   #90
bandit455
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I need a shock length on some ome n66l's

im currently running 2.2's with about 5" of up travel after I put a 1" spacer in up front. Im looking to go to a longer shock and see if I can get about 6" or so of up travel. im considering making shock tabe to mount to the lca instead of the stock mount to get this up travel. out back i think I'll retain the 2.2's for a while as I have them out boarded using the oem mounts on 1/4" plate welded to the back of the lca mount.

any reccomendations?
Eagle scout jeeper #10

my build thread
The Things We Make, Make Us
bandit455 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
bump stop , bump stops , bumpstop , bumpstops , shock length

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.