bumpstops, shock length, and tires size. help me iron out the fuzzy points.. - Page 22 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > bumpstops, shock length, and tires size. help me iron out the fuzzy points..

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Aluminum BumpersThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 05-15-2013, 10:50 AM   #316
eduardostewart
1998 TJ Wrangler 

any help would be appreciated -

When i bought my tj it came without a rear upper jouncer. I'm just going to order two replacements so they're the same and then be able to judge/measure what increment(s) bump stop extensions i need.

Now, the part where i need you guys. I'm pretty sure to have everything the way it should be i need to look into bump stop extensions. I did the usual googling and seems most people say to stay away from the d*ldo looking things and that what i should get are the hockey puck type discs.

with that being said, what are your thoughts on bottom extensions vs upper extension. I believe i remember seeing a thread where people were saying go with upper extensions but i came across a nifty kit from jks for bottom?

http://www.4wd.com/Jeep-Lift-Kits-Je...0&t_pn=JKS1100

eduardostewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2013, 02:23 PM   #317
joe_jeep
2005 LJ Wrangler 

any suggestions for running 3.5 re spring (besides dont run them) for max "useable" travel.
i have not bought shocks or bump stops yet. i have a 1.25" body lift, and will be getting a mml.
i will be running 35" tires.

i have a used set of re 3.5 springs front and rear.
i have currie jj control arms front and rear.
i have a rear teraflex revolver track bar.
i was gonna use the stock front track bar, and re drill the axle mount hole.(i could buy a currie if it will help)
i have re extended braided brake hoses front and rear.
i want to get the teraflex rear upper shock mount that raises the mount location 1"
i would like to move the rear lower shock mounts on to the lower control arm mounts.
i was not planning on moving the front shock mounts.

it all on a 2005 rubicon unlimited sahara.
all suggestions are welcome.
i know re springs dont travel the best, its the rate i want, i tow.
glfwda #6624
joe_jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2013, 02:54 PM   #318
MisfitSeven
MAIL Crawler.

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Skip the upper shock mount relocation. Outboarding the rear shocks lets you run a longer shock and puts the shock in a position to dampen better.
Unread 05-15-2013, 09:19 PM   #319
joe_jeep
2005 LJ Wrangler 

i know about outboarding rear shocks, doubt i will go that route.
i can get enough travel with moving the lower mounts, and gaining an inch up top.
its not a desert racer, and will see only mild off road use.
i got a rock buggy to abuse. this is a toy for light use.
glfwda #6624
joe_jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2013, 11:50 AM   #320
elclipo
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Wonderful thread. I definitely have a good idea what I must do to get my bump stops dialed in (the PO had a 4" lift installed and no bump stop adjustment whatsoever). Now, based on other threads I have seen hockey pucks used as bump stops and seeing they are one inch think they would work great as I can add or subtract as needed. My question is regarding attachment. What is best to use (other than a bolt as I don't have a tap and die set). RTV? JB Weld? Elmers Glue? Thanks
elclipo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2013, 11:54 AM   #321
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by elclipo View Post
Wonderful thread. I definitely have a good idea what I must do to get my bump stops dialed in (the PO had a 4" lift installed and no bump stop adjustment whatsoever). Now, based on other threads I have seen hockey pucks used as bump stops and seeing they are one inch think they would work great as I can add or subtract as needed. My question is regarding attachment. What is best to use (other than a bolt as I don't have a tap and die set). RTV? JB Weld? Elmers Glue? Thanks
Drill, tap and bolt is best option. I've made epoxy work, although make sure it is strong and mix it well before applying.
Unread 08-13-2013, 03:37 PM   #322
papa355
1977 CJ7 

quick question. I have SOA, CJ7 , Dana30 front. I have 11 1/2" from center to center on front studs for the shocks. How short of a shock should I use to allow for wheel to come up? is a 9 1/2" shock too short, compressed ?

"I wouldn't have road rage, If you knew how to drive...."
papa355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2013, 11:56 PM   #323
mudb8
want it rite or rite now?

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa355 View Post
quick question. I have SOA, CJ7 , Dana30 front. I have 11 1/2" from center to center on front studs for the shocks. How short of a short should I use to allow for wheel to come up? is a 9 1/2" shock too short, compressed ?
At least 4" uptravel imo....
How did you end up with 11 1/2" on a SOA?
2013-07-23-09.45.14.jpg

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars
DIY highline fenders.... 34-37's under 0"-2.5" lifts
shock length, bumpstop extension, tire size chart click here
DIY shock shifters, more uptravel/better ride

2011 E-350 4x4 Van conversion

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

ASE Certified Master Tech/Fabricator @ jeepwest.com
mudb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2013, 12:01 AM   #324
mudb8

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudb8 View Post

At least 4" uptravel imo....
How did you end up with 11 1/2" on a SOA?
More rear cj...
2013-07-26-11.33.32.jpg

2013-07-26-14.38.34.jpg

2013-07-31-09.56.59.jpg

2013-07-31-09.56.40.jpg

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

Unread 08-15-2013, 07:08 PM   #325
papa355
1977 CJ7 

got it figured out thanks

"I wouldn't have road rage, If you knew how to drive...."
papa355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2013, 09:04 PM   #326
RaggedOleMan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Came upon this thread a few years ago. Wasn't knowledgeable enough to grasp it at the time. While my truth is I'm still not all that savvy to all that's been discussed in here, though I can now appreciate it a lot more. Loved how you handled the moron in the first 5-pages or so, too...

Outstanding thread. Friggin' outstanding.
RaggedOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2013, 04:54 PM   #327
edinct
1998 TJ Wrangler 

great thread, very informative.
edinct is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2014, 12:08 AM   #328
ravenworks
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Great thread, thanks for taking the time to post you knowledge.
Unread 03-23-2014, 12:44 PM   #329
jpatt10

2005 TJ Wrangler 

I am going to resurrect this beast of a thread to get some input. I've read through this at least twice over the last few months and every time I finish, I end up with a throbbing headache. Sorry I don't have a lot of posts, as I generally just search and read and figure it out as needed, but this one blows my mind.

Here goes, '05 TJ X, 2.5" RC lift about 2 years old, 32s on Moabs, no body lift or MML on at this time. She is mostly my DD, some light trails and the snow that has decided to be a SOB this winter.

If I go with the Bilstein shocks for a 3" lift, as shown on Q-tec

Front 24.00/14.88
Rear 22.44/13.98

That would require 1" BSE for the front and 2" for the rear?

Any help would be appreciated.
jpatt10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2014, 10:59 PM   #330
mudb8

1999 TJ Wrangler 

1.25 front and can be closer to 3" with a 14" collapsed rear length depending on pinion angle.
Pull the springs, install the new shocks then set it down bottoming out the shock, measure the distance from the axle pad to the metal bumpstop cup.
I have never nailed the rear due to variables. I do have a tj in the shop now with 14" collapsed rears in stock mounts, stock upper ca's and 16" re lowers i could measure. I can tell you tho it has 4" extensions currently bolted on it, 2" rear uppers along with 2" lowers that would normally belong on the front, which i had nothing to do with, the dirt line on the shaft comes within a half inch of bottoming out. it came in that way. It has 3.5" re springs, 03 rubi skid pan w/1" t-case drop.

Im pretty sure there are measurements in a photo with ome n66l shocks that are 14" collapsed. Lift height does not matter or even factor into the bumpstop requirements of a collapsed shock length. Use of shock shifters and pinion angle changes do factor into the rear bumpstop requirements.

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

Tags
bump stop , bump stops , bumpstop , bumpstops , shock length

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.