bumpstops, shock length, and tires size. help me iron out the fuzzy points.. - Page 21 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > bumpstops, shock length, and tires size. help me iron out the fuzzy points..

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete

Unread 03-23-2013, 10:27 PM   #301
BamaJeepman21
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chmo View Post

so ... the remote reservoir 5160 seem to come out a bit shorter (because the floating piston is in the reservoir!):

front: TJ 3" lift Bilstein 5160 25-193114 / 14.5 - 24.7 / 10.2" travel
rear : TJ 3" lift Bilstein 5160 25-193145 / 13.5 - 22 / 8.5" travel
got them from Kolak here on JF!

I run them with about 1.5" bump stop extension (front and rear) and ~3" lift ... gives me nice ~5.5" up and ~4.5" down in the front ... In the rear plenty up as well...

Attachment 591962

Attachment 591959

so far I like them ... and I came from the OME N66/N67 fraction.
The fronts are a good inch longer than the 5100's. What trackbar/diff cover setup are you running?

-Jack
BamaJeepman21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2013, 11:23 PM   #302
chmo
Web Wheeler
2006 TJ Wrangler 

shorter compressed length and longer expanded for the front, yes.

In the front I am running the stock D30 diff cover, a ZJ V8 tie rod ... and still my teraflex adjustable track bar ... the currie TJS is ready on the shelf, did not get to it yet(and the tera is still good).

I used to have slight diff cover rub at full bump with the teraflex when I was running NO additional bump stop extension, but since I have the prothanes with inner 1.5" hard core there are no fresh marks on the cover (the old ones corroded red)
chmo is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2013, 09:11 AM   #303
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
In the front I am running the stock D30 diff cover, a ZJ V8 tie rod ... and still my teraflex adjustable track bar ...
I found the Teraflex track bar to need about 4" of bumpstop extension.
See full bump check here: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/tj...l#post12945566
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2013, 09:54 AM   #304
chmo
Web Wheeler
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post

hehe ... ok ... so I will go out tomorrow to take some measurements ... upper and lower control arm lengths and take some pics ...
thanks!

(okok ... time for the tjs ... no need to prove anything .. but some guys here run the teraflex tb with 2"lifts and no diff contact marks at all and certainly without 4" bs extensions)
Unread 03-24-2013, 03:07 PM   #305
SpeedJeep
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Wow!
Unread 03-25-2013, 04:45 AM   #306
chmo
Web Wheeler
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
hehe ... ok ... so I will go out tomorrow to take some measurements ... upper and lower control arm lengths and take some pics ...
thanks!

(okok ... time for the tjs ... no need to prove anything .. but some guys here run the teraflex tb with 2"lifts and no diff contact marks at all and certainly without 4" bs extensions)
teraflex TB ... ok in my case SO FAR ... see photos in below link:
(but not ok what I found else: my CA "adjustments" do not allow a final statement yet)
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/tj...l#post15189053
Unread 03-25-2013, 05:07 PM   #307
Jwolfer
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Hi everyone I am a little bit of a noob when it comes to bumpstop lengths and I need some help so please try to bear with me. Here is what I am running. 2" BB on stock Rubi coils, 1.25" BL (w/mml), 33x12.50 Duratracs, 2" Bumpstop extentions, and Bilstein 5100s for 0-2" of lift. Here are the specs for the shocks.

Front:
Collapsed Length (IN): 13.06
Extended Length (IN): 21.18
Travel Length (IN): 8.12

Rear:
Collapsed Length (IN): 12.81
Extended Length (IN): 20.08
Travel Length (IN): 7.27

I am heading to the auto hobby shop on base this Friday to install my ZJ Tie rod and new filler hose so I would like to correct my bumpstops while I am there with all of their tools.
Jwolfer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2013, 07:49 PM   #308
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwolfer View Post
Here is what I am running. 2" BB on stock Rubi coils, 1.25" BL (w/mml), 33x12.50 Duratracs, 2" Bumpstop extentions
I would like to correct my bumpstops while I am there with all of their tools.
2" bumpstop extensions front and rear? if so, you're fine.

but keep in mind, since it's a BB, there is no uptravel improvement over stock, and slightly less overall travel than stock due to the shock lengths. it's fine for going to the mall and "lookin' tough" with 33s though.
Unread 03-25-2013, 08:24 PM   #309
Jwolfer
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
2" bumpstop extensions front and rear? if so, you're fine.

but keep in mind, since it's a BB, there is no uptravel improvement over stock, and slightly less overall travel than stock due to the shock lengths. it's fine for going to the mall and "lookin' tough" with 33s though.
I have been pretty capable off road as well. I don't need a ridiculous amount of travel for the trails I hit. Would I be able to use 3" springs eventually or would I need new shocks too?
Unread 03-25-2013, 08:26 PM   #310
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwolfer View Post
Would I be able to use 3" springs eventually or would I need new shocks too?
swap out the BB for 3" springs. longer shocks in front would help. get an alignment, adjust caster as necessary w/ lower control arms. check for longer brake lines.
Unread 03-25-2013, 08:31 PM   #311
Jwolfer
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
swap out the BB for 3" springs. longer shocks in front would help. get an alignment, adjust caster as necessary w/ lower control arms. check for longer brake lines.
I plan on doing all of that in the next few months. I start active duty in July so I will finally be getting paid. Thanks a lot for your help.
Unread 03-27-2013, 10:12 PM   #312
plumber1
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Ok so comming from a YJ now to a TJ I am new to all this stuff. I am looking at the Savvy/Currie 3" or 4" lift with the AR and a 1-1.25" BL and to run 35's. The more I read the more I get confused. Some say you can run 35's w/ a 3" lift and a BL and others say I must have a least a 4" w/ a BL to clear 35's. I don't want to just be able to clear 35's on the street but on the trails with capable rig with articulation "is that a YJ thing". So if I use the 3" lift and I going to have some much BS that the tires have no place to go.

White Jeep Club #224
plumber1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2013, 12:23 AM   #313
BamaJeepman21
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaJeepman21 View Post
Thanks. How would I go about finding the travel of each shock? Extended - compressed?

Front: 24-14.8 = 9.2

Rear: 23-14.6 = 8.4

So does that mean the front is a 9" travel shock and the rear a 8"? Seems a bit short. I was talking to Imped and he recommended 5" up/down on stock mounts. Obviously I would need a 10" shock for that.
Quote:
correct. Bilstein's run a bit on the short side. Old Man Emu usually has longer travel shocks.
I've been doing some thinking...

8.5" of travel with 4.75" of up travel and 3.5" of down travel is the best I can do on stock mounts right? If I moved to a 10" shock I would loose all the up travel I have now. So the only way to get better travel is to move the mounts around?

-Jack
Unread 03-31-2013, 09:39 AM   #314
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaJeepman21 View Post
8.5" of travel with 4.75" of up travel and 3.5" of down travel is the best I can do on stock mounts right? If I moved to a 10" shock I would loose all the up travel I have now. So the only way to get better travel is to move the mounts around?
it depends how fancy you want to get. but ~5" up/~4" down is not bad at all. but yea, if you want more travel, with a longer shock, you'll need more bumpstop extension. with stock mounts, that usually means more lift too.
Unread 03-31-2013, 12:42 PM   #315
BamaJeepman21
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
it depends how fancy you want to get. but ~5" up/~4" down is not bad at all. but yea, if you want more travel, with a longer shock, you'll need more bumpstop extension. with stock mounts, that usually means more lift too.
Yea it's not bad. I like the amount of travel the front has. The rear could use a bit more but I would lose up travel. I'll hopefully link and outboard by the end of the year so I'm not too worried about it.

-Jack

Tags
bump stop , bump stops , bumpstop , bumpstops , shock length

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.